Warning....Cabelas Canada.

limeyangler

Hi All,

I am going to purchase a Minn-Kota I-Pilot this spring. I noticed however that they have updated it for 2012. The new one has a different remote,wider screen, slimmer. ergonomics and can save 6 instead of 3 "lock spots".

When i went to order online at Cabelas i noticed that the picture of the product on the website was of the older model. Not wanting to end up with the old model i thought i'd call the Winnipeg shop to check. Glad i did. The item listed on the website is the older model. The new one is also $40 more expensive.

I was a bit disappointed with their price. In the past i have found Cabelas to be very competitive ,or the cheapest or near to it for Canadian retailers on most things( their price on my Terrova was even better than US reatailers at a time the looney was way above par!). This is just fleecing the customer in my opinion. RRP is $449...NOT $469....and that is before tax. LOST MY PURCHASE THERE CABELAS...congrats! I really hope this is not a turning point for them in terms of pricing...now that they feel established and confident they can charge what the hell they like!

A bit pissed off...i have been saving for a long time to get this, was headed to winnipeg anyway on Sunday next week....was pretty pumped to be finally getting it, but i refuse to let these shysters fleece me if i can help it....time to shop around...SHAME REALLY :(

Rant done.....but felt it necessary in case anyone else ended up with an outdated model this spring.

Hey Simon,

Did you look into Lebaron's

LeBaron

I have found them to have the best or equal to the best price day-to-day. They also continually have No-Tax sales or purchase a membership and save 10%. They also have 15% membership sales or once a year before christmas No-Tax plus membership discount totalling 23%.

Their website sucks but they have a longstanding mailorder system.

Cheers,

Mark

When you're in Winnipeg Simon, check Wholesale Sports. They don't always have inventory like Cabelas, but I've found them to usually have slightly better pricing on certain items.

That's where I mainly shop online as well. Their sales are fantastic.

That's where I mainly shop online as well. Their sales are fantastic.

Just ordered a new rod through them the other day, $15 cheaper then anyone else on line. Wholesale and Cabelas are just a matter of a couple of blocks away from each other in Winnipeg, so you might as well check out both while your there Simon.

Edited by Old Man

Simon, before you go to winnipeg, give Bob a call at pro am tackle, I got my ipilot terrova there for 100 dollars than either cabelas or wholesale sports. he always has sales on and is easy to deal with. Last year Jeanine from AJ fabrics called Bob when she bought her husband an ipilot for his boat and was really happy to get the deal and service, they sent it on bus and saved her the sales tax.

they are located in the stip mall on the west side of lagomodiere at the regent street intersection. there is a royal fork restaurant , joeys only , safeway, penningtons and perkins restaurant in the same strip section. it's just a hole in the wall store but they always have good deals.

they do have a web page, but i didn't save it so just give it a google. you might be pleasantly surprised.

i have dealt with Cabela's in the past and have no complaints about products services or price, before you go off and rant about a company ripping you off maybe you should shop around first then come back and rant

Are you serious?

Did you even bother reading my post!!??

You wanna hear me rant just post nonsense like that more often!

:good:

Are you serious?

Did you even bother reading my post!!??

You wanna hear me rant just post nonsense like that more often!

:good:

read your post sounds like you don't know the price of the product elsewhere but think your getting ripped, if it's last years model so it's still new right? can't figure what your peeved about

i have dealt with Cabela's in the past and have no complaints about products services or price, before you go off and rant about a company ripping you off maybe you should shop around first then come back and rant

I have to agree 100% but of I'm dealing with Cabela's on this side of the boarder...could be different up where you guys are....they have been nothing but FANTASTIC to me....their customer service is impeccable.....they stand behind each and every one of their products for me....even when they are years past warranty....I don't know if there is another retailer that does that, but if there is I'm all ears...maybe they treat me so well because I'm a Cabela's Signature Visa card holder... :dunno: .....BPS is another story when it comes to customer service though.. :wallbash:

Amazes me how many people from distant parts seem to know so much about the Outdoor retail scene in Winnipeg. :blink: Cabela's Winnipeg is basically the old SIR store. Not much has changed in the way of staff, management or inventory. Not much resemblance to Cabela's south of the border.

You should check out Pro Am like grt1 suggests, I've never been there myself, but have gotten a lot of great feedback from friends on the service and pricing at Pro Am There's always the Fishing Hole as well, but I wouldn't expect much there Simon.

Thanks for the great replies.

I will of course look into all suggestions. Gord....I always head to the Fish'nhole on the way in and have been to Pro-Am a couple of times too...a trip to Winnipeg would be incomplete without visiting Wholesale sports so will check them too.

Despite what my original post 'might' have sounded like to some people i have done enough research before hand to know what the better price of the unit is....and Cabelas is not it! Even factoring in internet delivery charges and taxes! In fact Cabelas seems to want to factor delivery charges into their price on this one.

I also have had no problems with Cabelas...and in the past their customer service has been excellent! But that does not mean that this is right.....its robbery and they can go to hell on this one. They need to update their website too as so people do not assume they are getting the newer one.

Man o man.....i'm going fishing now....lol...gonna head up to past blue lake looking for current and open water to toss a line with a buddy of mine. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: