How important is water temperature for fishing

Skipper D

How important is water temperature this time if i want to go fishing in a lake . My guess is it might depending on what i want to fish for ? Iread on a post here the other day guys were telling the temperature of the water they were fishing in and wonder if i need to be concern .

Edited by Skipper " D "

This time of year, when the water is warming, fish will seek out the warmest sections of the lakes. The warmer water draws in the minnows, and the fish follow them.

Look for shallow water, with a dark, muddy bottom.

I've found water from 38-58 degrees in the last week. Guess where the fish were :whistling:

Water temp is very important for any type of fish.

S.

This time of year, when the water is warming, fish will seek out the warmest sections of the lakes. The warmer water draws in the minnows, and the fish follow them.

Look for shallow water, with a dark, muddy bottom.

I've found water from 38-58 degrees in the last week. Guess where the fish were :whistling:

Water temp is very important for any type of fish.

S.

Thank you Sinker for sharing this , i'll be login it in to the computer up stairs...................

Like Sinker said it really depends on what you're fishing for.. Fish that like cold water (lake trout for example) will be cruising the shallows chasing food until the water warms up then back down to the deep they go... Most fish will be shallow in the spring because that's where the bait is.. Now lake Simcoe perch on the other hand, who knows! I still need to get out this year for those little buggers.

I've been out perching twice on simcoe already, and caught all my fish in less than 8fow. Shallow is the key. The middle of the day is usually best, when things are at their warmest.

Now if you want to target cold water fish, in the middle of summer, you need to find what depth their preferred temperature is at, because that is where they are going to be.

S.

Water temp is probably the most important factor to locating the fish with exception to where the bait fish are. In spring, if fishing from shore, most fresh water fish tend to begin the breakfast hunt on the west side of a lake as it warms first from the morning Sun and pike, musky and LM Bass will seekout bait fish there.

Depth wise, as others have mentioned, Salmon and LakeTrout are quite specific to temperature and the thermocline layer. A charter boat friend used his downriggers but with a temperature probe and he was looking for certain temperatures depending on the lake species his charter were there to catch.

I was out on the Ottawa a few days ago fishing for eyes and got nada. We fished a regular summer spot that always produces, and had my doubts there would be any fish there this time of the year, guess I was right. Fished 20 ft with jig and minnow, moved around a few times but still no luck.

I'm thinking there in 30 to 40 ft of water closest to their spawning areas maybe (staging), water is just above freezing. trolled a open shoreline back to the launch on the way home and caught a hammer handle. Any thoughts on where they might be. Have never fished the Ottawa this early in a boat.

Yesterday's crappie fishing proved water temps matter.....while some bays were pushing temps into the low and mid 50's it wasn't until we found water temps in our "secret spot" that almost hit 60 degrees (59.4) that we scored BIG TIME with lots of BIG crappies.... :) .....and the air temps were also a big hit with us crappie anglers, hitting a high of 78 degrees with calm south winds.... :D

But now I guess REALITY has worked it's way back into our weather pattern with a high of only 39 degrees on Monday.... :wallbash:

At this time of the year water temps are more about food sources then anything....bugs, insects, fresh water shrimp, etc.....start to flourish first in the warmest waters in any given body of water....thus these water temps attract bait fish and or predator fish we desire to catch.

Many anglers think crappies are in the shallows at this time of the year to spawn.....but spawning doesn't take place until water temps start to reach the mid 60's for crappie......they are there for one reason and one reason only right now....to feed....and that's why they are so easy to catch now if you find their feeding grounds.

Go Fishing,

Bob

Thanks guys for all of you sharing , last night i installed a new finder in the boat , shows ya what i know i was surprized to see it gives the water temp and things are in colour , am excited now to see how i make out with it to day , well i better get out there , Thanks again , am off to play on the water .

I find temps matter in spring because that's how fish know when to do things like stage or spawn...

And with some fish it will determine fish activity levels... Like carp... I've found they get really active in 50+ degree water...

In the summer I couldn't care less about water temps...

Then it the fall it matters again... At certain temps walleye start moving to fall/winter holding areas in big numbers...

Justin Hoffman has an article in the April OOD magazine about fish metabolism and water temp.

I was sitting here trying to remember where I saw that temperature table recently. Spent the last 20 minutes going through bookmarks, lol.

Anyway, here is a table showing active temperatures for various fish:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/weather/water

Wow ! thank you for all your effort , that explains why no bits yesterday , water temp was at 39.F , we did'nt get completly skunked tho , my partner Skeeter did hook into two nice size Herring tho that we released successfuly , other then that it was dead , Thanks again .

Wow ! thank you for all your effort , that explains why no bits yesterday , water temp was at 39.F , we did'nt get completly skunked tho , my partner Skeeter did hook into two nice size Herring tho that we released successfuly , other then that it was dead , Thanks again .

Keep in this in mind skip...

People catch fish all winter...

So water temps can be important in some situations...but there are always active fish somewhere....