Lake Nipissing Water Level

doubleheader

My interpretation of the attached graph seems to indicate that the water level is being increased, perhaps in anticipation of a poor spring run-off. What do you guys think?

http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html?stn=02DD006&prm1=3&prm2=-1&mode=graph&smo=3&sday=1&syr=2012&emo=3&eday=20&eyr=2012&y1min=&y1max=&mean=1&min=1&y2min=&y2max=]

What I can tell you from OBSERVATION is the water is really low right now and we have already had a 50% melt from up North. In Feb it was reported that there was 4 feet of snow on average with 2 feet of water within that snow. Well, I saw a report on t.v. this week that said the snow is now 50% melted meaning without rain we have only 2 more feet of water (run-off from spring melt). I would need at leat 2 feet in my marina ro launch my boat. Therefor the whole lake has to come up at least 2 feet or my boat stays in my driveway.

Water Level & Flow Information

The water management partners, known as the Sturgeon-Nipissing-French-Wanapitei Water Management Group, and as overseen by the Sturgeon-Nipissing-French Citizens' Advisory Group, will continue to closely monitor the weather conditions and water levels in an attempt to minimize the impact of variable weather conditions and maximize the benefits to the fishery of the lake and river.

Lake Nipissing and French River

Recorded Water Level Forecast

The following is the water level forecast for Lake Nipissing and the French River as of Monday, March 19, 2012, as provided by Public Works and Government Services Canada. The precipitation at the French River Dams station for March, as of March 19, 2012 was 71% of the monthly average. The inflows into the lake are currently above the long-term average inflow.

Lake Nipissing

CAUTION: RISING LAKE LEVEL

As of March 19, 2012, the water level elevation of Lake Nipissing was 195.08 metres. The lake level is 35 centimetres above the long-term average. The lake level is expected to rise during the next few days. Further change in the lake level is dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

French River

CAUTION: RISING RIVER LEVELS

At Dry Pine Bay, the river level on March 19, 2012, was 181.95 metres, which corresponds to a flow of 328 cubic metres per second. The river level is 68 centimetres above the long-term average, which corresponds to a flow of 142 cubic metres per second above the long-term average. The river is expected to rise during the next few days. Further change in the river levels will be dependent on the amount of inflows and precipitation.

The next update will be on Monday, March 26, 2012.

doubleheaders link doesnt work for me, so i am not sure what he's driving at

they draw nip down in the fall to prevent flooding in the spring. now that we're in the spring, they're filling 'er up again.

i would echo nipfishers concerns due to the warm winter we had but, squid's post suggest things are normal to slightly above average for this time of year.

that's my take on this whole post :D

My Father In Law operates the Dams and the Power Plant here in Sturgeon Falls .... As of 15 minutes ago the Turbines are at full capacity 7500 CMM and there are also 3.5 gates open at 10,000 CMM ... NEVER has this happened this early in the year.... Now with that said , the Sturgeon River watershed ( it is HUGE)is draining fast, really fast.

With Nipissing as low as it is today , about 3' low....

Sorry to burst some bubbles , I love this beautiful weather as much as the next guy but..... I'm wishing for HEAVY April rains ....

If this weather keeps up the spawn will happen almost a month early ... Thus throwing everything off kilter this opening weekend .

Randy

all I know is last year with all the rain French levels were as low as I've seen fo the opener...MNR said the walleye had spawned early (pthhhh)...by the end of the summer rocks I didn't know were there suddenly appeared, actually beached my boat on a "new' rock last summer...I'm thinking this could possibly be the worst year ever if this March is ant indication, I will be down to just a couple of honey holes as the rest will be above water...scary