Canoe In Camping Trip Ideas?

Homer Is King

The wife and I used to do some canoe in trips. We phased that out for a more luxurius / drive in style of camping once we had kids. Our kids are now of the age that we want to introduce them to some canoe in / back woods camping. Unfortunately all the Algonquin trips we did would be too much for the kids!

Can anyone recommend a kid friendly canoe in camping spot? We have 4 kids aged 9 to 4. We are looking for something with a 2 - 4 hour canoe trip, no portages, on a "no motor" lake. A spot with good fishing would be a bonus!!

I've been looking at Algonquin but I am worried that all the lakes with no portages will be busy or all booked up by now. I did order the "Canoe Trips" book which should help me figure out a route.

I've also been looking at The Massassauge. It's a canoe in only provincial park. I have no experience with this area. Is it suitable.

Any other suggestions?

There are lots of lakes that allow motor boats but will just have a few fishing boats. I find that to be a good compromise if I don't want to portage.

Crotch Lake(much better than it sounds!) is one. Written up by Kevin Callan and now 'controlled' by Frontenac Cty I believe. You can book a specific site but you'll need to pay. There are also locations in what used to be called the Frost center.

I have been to the massassauga, but stayed at a friends cottage. His lake borders the park on the west side and has access for paddlers (with parking). from this location the only issue for you is a 700 metre portage to the next lake where the camping is located. Ive done the portage and would says it would be ok for the older kids (even the 4 yr old) as the trail is well worn. You might have to make a couple trips to haul your gear, though. The scenery and fishing are great and well worth it. TONS of little smallies (less than 1lb) for the kids with many 3-5lb smallies as well.

In Algonquin the access point at Achray on the east side of the park is nice. It's not nearly as busy as some of the other access points and is truly beautiful. Grand lake has fantastic water access beach campsites as well that face west.

If you're there in the summer you can do a day trip over to High falls on the Barron river, there's an absolutely fantastic natural water slide there.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oi1-A0T9Duw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also really like the water access sites on Cedar lake at the north side of the park. Gorgeous lake and really good walleye fishing which is somewhat rare in Algonquin.

I can also recommend the Pickeral river downstream from hwy 69.

IMO it's a little more intimate with maybe less boaters than the French.

And really great scenery: Pine trees and pink granite outcroppings everywhere.

Launch and park right at 69 and paddle downstream towards the junction of the French at Ox bay.

Along the way there's some great campsites which are rarely used.

There are also locations in what used to be called the Frost center.

That would be Kushog Lake and Lake St. Nora. Went to the frost centre myself about 10 years ago, and found out it was closed (recently?) unfortunately.

Had my very first experience with a hand auger there, and I remember I didn't even have the juice to drill through the 2 foot+ thick ice there!

Stayed at a cottage that was between the 2 lakes last year, but never fished it. Was told back then there was good bass fishing to be had.

Definitely some possibilities out there, I for one wouldn't rule out portages. Some are pretty short and easy, plus theyreally add to the adventure not too mention open up to some pretty cool places.

Checkout some of the non-operating parks/crown land in Ontario, you can save on fees and no need to reserve.

Torco, I completely agree about the portage. One quick portage of 500m or less really separates you from the crowds. My wife is dead set against one but I am working on convincing her!

I just ordered a bunch of maps for several areas around us. There are so many options it's hard to decide. My wife has her heart set on Algonquin which pretty much means I have my heart set on Algonquin!

Anyone have any experience with Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park?

Torco, I completely agree about the portage. One quick portage of 500m or less really separates you from the crowds. My wife is dead set against one but I am working on convincing her!

I just ordered a bunch of maps for several areas around us. There are so many options it's hard to decide. My wife has her heart set on Algonquin which pretty much means I have my heart set on Algonquin!

Anyone have any experience with Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park?

I think we can all understand planning when the wife is involved :whistling:

PM sent

Well this is not a canoe in camping trip...but my wife and I did it with our son and daughter when they where young and they both loved it. We stayed at a campground right in Walkerton...right in town...right on the river. Joy sports in town had a shuttle service where if you rented a canoe from them they would drop it off at the campground for you Friday night. You canoed down the Saugeen Saturday. Lots of smallies and brown trout to be had. Lots of spots to stop and fish. Lots of good sandbars to swim on too. They then picked you up at a bridge downstream at the end of the day and shuttled you back to the campground.

You are going downstream so all you are really doing is keeping the canoe going straight. Dead easy for kids or novices... there are no heavy current areas along the route to get concerned about...in the summer during low water anyway.My son was 6 and my daughter 8 on our first trip and my wife was by no means comfortable in a canoe...that's how easy it was. The fishing was really good. I/we caught tons of smallies..up to 4 LBS and browns...and all we used where worms under floats or with weights...nice and easy for the wife and kids.

It is not a remote experience...but I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it really was. Once you got on the water and get a few bends in the river away from town you where out in quiet farmland and cedar tree lined waters with no one around.

Joy Sports number is 519-881-2046. This was a few years ago so I don't know if they still offer this or even if the campground is still there. But it's a great trip to see how the family does spending a day on the water in canoes. I highly recommend it.

PM me if you have any questions

That sounds like a great trip. I'm familiar with Walkerton and the Saugeen River but never thought of doing something like that! Thanks for the tip!

We have done similar trips on the Saugeen near Paisley and on the Grand River (before kids). It is a really good time. Float and fish, paddle just enough to keep you going straight. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories. I definitely have to work on a few day trips like that. It will be on top of this camping trip.

Yes, my research has lead me to this area. It is now called the "Haliburton Highlands Water Trails". There are several canoe routes, campsites, day use areas, and hiking trails.

You can now view the maps and book online.

https://secure.camis.com/HHWT/HaliburtonHighlandsWaterTrails?Map

More info

http://www.algonquinhighlands.ca//?cat=trails&page=water

Apparently, a nice novice loop is Herb Lake into Gun Lake.

Anyone have any more info on this area. Do they have thunder boxes / toilets on the campsites? Are motor boats allowed on the lakes?

I really think that you should try algonquin again, try kitten lake no portages, no motor boats, good fishing, close to access point also if you prefer there is a cabin there if the kids get a little tired! I wouldn't do masssasagua, there aren't any motor boats but it's on georgian bay which can get pretty rough, I've never been to massasagua but that is my feeling about it kids are just too young for it.

Apparently, a nice novice loop is Herb Lake into Gun Lake.

Anyone have any more info on this area. Do they have thunder boxes / toilets on the campsites? Are motor boats allowed on the lakes?

I canoe camped in Herb/Gun maybe 12 years ago. The lakes are relatively small, not too choppy in a wind. small mouth bass I recall. This was before the reservation system. There were thunder boxes at the time, probably same now. I dont know of any restrictions on motors but lack of launches and portages reduces that. There are areas on the east side of the park that have boat access private cottages and they have motor boats.