PowerPro Super 8 Slick

boombap

What is everyone's opinion on this line? I started using braid with power pro and always enjoyed it and never had any troubles. This past weekend I picked up a spool of 20# in green and spooled it on my shimano chronarch. Although I haven't fished it yet, I've been casting a small 1/4oz weight in my backyard and it does cast great, better than the regular stuff.

Except it looks to be like the line is almost unraveling in certain areas when its on the spool.. and when I say unraveling I mean the 8 strands of yarn are falling apart.. But when I stretch it out (pull out about 50 yards of line) and check it everything seems to be ok. Could it be I got a bad batch?

Also, I found that it holds quite a bit of memory compared to any other braid I've used so I'm not so happy about that.

Hopefully this stirs up some discussion on this product, haven't really found any decent reviews online.

Edited by boombap

What is everyone's opinion on this line? I started using braid with power pro and always enjoyed it and never had any troubles.

So why on earth would you change? Except for the braids (PowerPro and Stealth) I use lines that were on the market for years. Stren and Trilene are two examples. I'm happy with them, why would I change?

So why on earth would you change? Except for the braids (PowerPro and Stealth) I use lines that were on the market for years. Stren and Trilene are two examples. I'm happy with them, why would I change?

Roy, sometimes change can be a good thing :) I wanted to try something new.

That's fair. Expensive, but fair. smile.gif

I initially balked at the price of PowerPro when it first came out....but after one spool lasted me 5 or 6 years, I actually felt like I got some good value out of it.

I initially balked at the price of PowerPro when it first came out....but after one spool lasted me 5 or 6 years, I actually felt like I got some good value out of it.

I agree, Johnny. What I meant was that it's expensive to be trying various lines for everyone else.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the first few spools in Canada when I was working on a promo for the stuff and I have to say I'm shocked that it hasn't gotten the attention that some other new "superlines" have gotten. The stuff is awesome! OFC got me hooked on the original power pro when I first started chucking spoon off the pier in Port Credit... Back then I could cast much father then most people around me who were using mono! Still took me forever to catch my first salmon hahaha :wallbash: But the distance I was getting over everybody else alone was worth it to me. I still use the original Power Pro for certain applications, but I'm hooked on Super Slick... It's smooth, quiet on my guides, casts like a bullet.... Awesome stuff! And no, I don't get paid to say that! :blahblah1:

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Great thread...topic i mean.

I have bought a couple 150yd spools but have yet to try it. with weather like this i might be spooling it shortly :clapping:

I heard that it is hard on guides? that it will actually cut into them? I wonder how many cast that would take?

Anyway all feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by 206

I wouldn't worry about braid cutting in on your guides, unless they are from the 80's or earlier... Casting won't do that, bringing the line in under pressure will (ie while you are landing a fish)

I still haven't found a line that casts better then 6lb Nanofil.

I too was fortunate enough to have a chance to try this before it got out on the market. I kinda wished I hadn't though. I ordered a 1500 filler spool of the stuff, I liked it so much.

I have never used anything so cast friendly, so quiet and slippery when it come to braids. I would actually be curious to see if this would work for the guys trolling in Lake O as a flea flicker line.

The thinner diameter, I bounced up my lb test from 10 to 15 now. I am a fan of the high vis yellow as well.

Eventually when my higher lb test I use for Muskie fishing, I will switch that over too.

Cheers, Ron...

I wouldn't worry about braid cutting in on your guides, unless they are from the 80's or earlier... Casting won't do that, bringing the line in under pressure will (ie while you are landing a fish)

That we be a great problem to have in my opinion. ...catching lots of fish... how could ya hate it?

To the guys that have used it: is it the same or thinner diameter than the original power pro? Has anybody else noticed that it breaks easier than the original power pro? The original power pro does not have line memory, but this one does?

To the guys that have used it: is it the same or thinner diameter than the original power pro? Has anybody else noticed that it breaks easier than the original power pro? The original power pro does not have line memory, but this one doere tour guides clean?.

IF you don't put your hook through the guide to store it,that could cut your line,if not bad batches don't happen very often but have.

Edited by davey buoy

today I went to replace my old high visible yellow power pro, but they didn't have the same stuff. They had the new slick power pro but was unsure as I have been very happy about the regular stuff. Also they only had green. I really enjoy casting with the high vis yellow. If I find a slick yellow will definitely try it out after reading this thread

I love power pro im a big fan. I got 20 pound test on my spinning rod and ive never had problems cept for fishing with getting it tangled on a clip on bobber live bait fishing.

The only other braid i use is spiderwire flourobraid on my baitcaster.

I love power pro im a big fan. I got 20 pound test on my spinning rod and ive never had problems cept for fishing with getting it tangled on a clip on bobber live bait fishing.

The only other braid i use is spiderwire flourobraid on my baitcaster.

Trying 15lb,30lb,40lb,50lb and 65lb Super Slick this year. The 40lb handled great. The Timber Brown got darker once wet, didn't have any memory to it and handled well. It's good ole Power Pro with improvements.