White Sucker

If you went up to Beaverton and saw fish jumping . . . .. YOU SAW SUCKERS! Where were you . .. over at the boat launch or down by the restaraunt? Have they cleaned up all the construction yet? Which side of the river were you on?

Really? I was right at the mouth I just assumed that they were bass feeding I was on the yacht club side. Are there any rivers closer to cooks bay that have them running? I was using bread, I also found some dead minnows from seagulls that I also tried jigging, should I try something else?

Sucker fish are not on the regs just like carp. Only thing not allowing you to fish them is if the creek is a sanctuary as Garfisher said.

Richmond Hill fisher. Suckers are the easiest fish to catch right now just go look in any creek walk along the creek and you will see them take off. I have seen them in ditches that go to the lake. Just look and you will find them. I sent you a pm to help you out the other day. Any creek will have them now. Like the steelhead and many other fish they run up the creek to spawn.

Edited by Live2fish85

I'm not sure what river you were at, but there's no yacht club to fish from at the mouth of the Beaver River? I went up today . . . . noon till 5:00 p. m., got ONE LOUSY 12" CATFISH . . . . no jumpers yet . . . . I only had to use 3 worms. The water is just thick with those little teeny emerald shiners! If the suckers are in there someplace, they're likely stuffed with the l'il shiners.

P. S.

Since when did sea gulls start leaving dead minnows layin' around?

The yacht club is kind of hidden but it's there, there were fish jumping then the shiners were like a mat over the river so I also tried a jerkbait when I saw them jumping. I felt really bad, 'cause on cast I saw the bobber moving so I pulled up on it and it turns out that the shiners were just bumping the line swimming by and I hooked one through the stomach. :( Listen, beaverton is really far do they have them in the holland?

Where are the suckers now in the west end? Checked cooksville creek this morn but there is a sand bar at the mouth now blocking access.

try a different creek or go a bit further upstream, they are in there u just gotta find em.

On a separate note, do people eat suckers?

Back in the day I remember watching an In-Fisherman segment on cooking suckers...The chef ground the meat and turned it into a burger. Never tried eating suckers myself. My neighbour (now passed) used to pickle and can them back in the 1940's.

White suckers, taken from the cold water, is almost as tasty as whities or pickerel. The down side is the 15 minutes it takes to spit out all the l'il hair-sized bones from each mouthful! The BIG suckers that come in from Lake Simcoe (average about 3 pounds) seem to be slighty less boney but still have more bones than your average fish for the table. When I was a kid (50 - 55 years ago) we used to catch a couple bushels of (red) suckers in a nearby creek every spring. My grandmother used to pickle them, using a big ol' pressure cooker . . . . this was our whole winter's fish . . . she used a few different herbs & spices . . . . DE E E E L I C I O U S! Who could afford a dime for a big tin of salmon?