Bass on the ice ?

Fishing 24/7

It blows my mind how the bass through the ice seem pretty hard to find in Southern Ontario, but you guys in Northern Ontario and Quebec fish for bass through the ice as efficiently as you do softwater!

:clapping:

Edited by EC1

It blows my mind how the bass through the ice seem pretty hard to find in Southern Ontario, but you guys in Northern Ontario and Quebec fish for bass through the ice as efficiently as you do softwater!

If they were actually in season down here, people would be fishing for them.

Very true as far as up here goes. I catch bigger LMB in the winter each year while perch fishing than I do in the summer bass fishing. Usually on waxies but I have had my fair share hit a 6" sucker intended for pike.....

Nice bass man!

TDunn

If they were actually in season down here, people would be fishing for them.

The thing is, all these panfish trips using minnows should equal to a pretty consistent catch of "incidental" Largies. And in places like Simcoe, I would think that the smallies would mix right in with the perch.

I'm not sure I'm proving a point...I have no written proof and I've only caught a handful of largies while ice fishing. They definitely don't come every trip for me. As for targetting them, I can see myself with a lot of skunks before even getting into some.. :blush:

The thing is, all these panfish trips using minnows should equal to a pretty consistent catch of "incidental" Largies. And in places like Simcoe, I would think that the smallies would mix right in with the perch.

I'm not sure I'm proving a point...I have no written proof and I've only caught a handful of largies while ice fishing. They definitely don't come every trip for me. As for targetting them, I can see myself with a lot of skunks before even getting into some.. :blush:

I think it depends on where you're fishing and the body of water.... we consistently catch OOS largies when we're targeting perch on my local pond. Doesn't matter where you move to, they're mixed right in with the big perch and will eat minnows, live and artificial, gulp maggots, jigging spoons, you name it...

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Ouch, looks like you hooked into a pair and not fish!

i actually use my cord as a lure hanger! cause i run and gun so much that i cant always bring my equipement everywere i go. i punch about 60 holes in a day.

and smallies are the easiest fish you can fish on ice.

find a pile of rocks and bingo.

point, hump... anything that hold cray fish. they still feed on them in the winter.

drop a spoon. mini minnow darter. they nail anything. and they are in schools of 4-5 !

its insane!

the 4 lbs smalies fight like brutes!!!! :worthy::worthy: