Surveying Question

fishnsled

They've been doing some surveying in my neighbourhood. They've circled a property marker at the edge of my driveway and put CP below it. Can't seem to get any answers from the city regarding the work (not surprised) but was wondering what the CP would stand for? (there's an IP a couple of houses down) I was looking to repave the driveway this summer but would hate to do so and have some boneheads rip it up and make a patch quilt out of it. Guess I'll have to wait and see what's going on.

Orange paint signifies Bell Canada... or other telecommunications lines in 90% of cases

sounds like they are having utilities located before digging.

All the Bell lines are above ground, run the property line at the back of the yard along with the cable. :dunno:

it has been a long time since school.... but if I remember correctly

IP stands for Iron Pipe... this much I know.... and I am pretty sure CP stands for Clay pipe.... in reference to your connections to the municiple sewage system...

but generally they save orange paint for bell and catv.... it must have been a city employee and not a professional locator service.

anyways I am pretty sure these are what these markings signify.

G.

Edit to add... just because you have over head lines.. does not mean you also do not have sub-surface lines as well. trust me... I cut a 500 pair cable once...

Edited by Gerritt

it has been a long time since school.... but if I remember correctly

IP stands for Iron Pipe... this much I know.... and I am pretty sure CP stands for Clay pipe.... in reference to your connections to the municiple sewage system...

but generally they save orange paint for bell and catv.... it must have been a city employee and not a professional locator service.

anyways I am pretty sure these are what these markings signify.

G.

Edit to add... just because you have over head lines.. does not mean you also do not have sub-surface lines as well. trust me... I cut a 500 pair cable once...

Didn't you know that you are suppose to call before you dig?

I'm just curious to these markings and what the heck is going to happen this spring/summer. The last thing that I need is my driveway unusable for my mother is her present health. Or for myself and not being able to get the boat out of the driveway, want to see someone go postal real fast?!

I was LUCKY!.... we called for locates, and the company doing the locate did not mark the line near where we were installing a temporary hydro pole for temp power during a custom home build... they thought marking it next door would suffice...

needless to say we were off the hook :)

Well now you know what the markings mean... it could be something as simple as your sewers being relined with a plastic type product to your street being dug up... but someone in your town should be telling you what is going on that is for sure...

I was LUCKY!.... we called for locates, and the company doing the locate did not mark the line near where we were installing a temporary hydro pole for temp power during a custom home build... they thought marking it next door would suffice...

needless to say we were off the hook :)

Well now you know what the markings mean... it could be something as simple as your sewers being relined with a plastic type product to your street being dug up... but someone in your town should be telling you what is going on that is for sure...

You certainly were LUCKY! Finally heard back from the city and they have no plans for anything. Guess I'll check with Bell and Rogers and go from there. Thanks for the input everyone.

OK, where is Beagledad when we need him? He is a locator and would know the answer to this right away. Hold tight until he chimes in. If he hasn't by tomorrow, I'll put a call into him.

Thanks Cliff

CP stands for Center Pin. ;)

They are going to install a new steelhead stream beside your house!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That could be worst than having the driveway torn up in the spring. Think those guys will move to let me take my truck and boat across the stream when they are standing shoulder to shoulder?? :rofl2:

I have seen a lot of similar markings in my neighbourhood that so far have not led to anything being torn up.

Good to know. Wonder if it is for the new Vibe TV lines?