Buying my first kayak

mikeseb

Im gonna be buying a 'yak for fishing this summer and cant wait! Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of getting oneat the sportsmanshow as there should be a big selection and Ive worked out some very nice deals there before on bigger purchases (rod/reel combos etc.) Im wondering if anyone knows any particular good brands or models out there that would suit my needs. Im going to be using it primarily in small weedy lakes and the saugeen river and a few of its tribs. My budget is about 500-600. Any advice is appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Mike

It's all personal opinion of course but I would suggest that a roto molded polyproplyne ( same material that Kayaks are made from and not an inflatable)kick boat with oars is much better for most fishing around Oakville than a kayak. You may be able to find a Hobie Floatcat around (they have been discontinued) and Cabelas carries a knockoff version for less than half the price (about $500 landed up here). Kayaks are great....for exercise and to some extent for trolling for salmon out in the lake. They are not the greatest thing for casting from however. It's all about poor body position and stability. Earlier a guy who owns a Hobie kayak says he can stand on his kayak and that would be good but I would bet that can be difficult at times, especially in rough water, wind or with a truly big fish on the line. Depending on how much money you want to spend a Fish Eagle Foldcat is another option. A rich guy on the Credit has one and I have seen it up close. It is an inflatable, and generally I don't really like inflatables but they are such a quality build I would look at one of them for about $1900.00. The Foldcat is more like an actual boat and although you can row it I think most people use a trolling motor on them. Don't get me wrong a kayak or even a canoe can still be a lot of fun for fishing just not optimal in my opinion but both a kayak and a canoe offer alternative recreational uses beyond fishing.

Edited by Snidley

Don't confuse modern fishing yaks with touring or even recreational yaks. Boats like the Wavesport Commander, and the new Ride 115 are stable enough to stand and fish musky from (my current stand-up PB is 43"). Is it impossible to fall out of one? No. But it is easy to stand and fish, which allows for all kinds of possibilities that no sit-down boat can provide: true flipping, great sight fishing, and way easier flycasting.

5-600 dollars will get you a good used yak, often already outfitted. Check out the board at yakfishers.net: great group of guys that have paddled/fished everything on the market and will give you good advice (and maybe sell you a used yak)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I was also looking towards a small boat at BPS called the pond prowler http://www.basspro.com/Uncle-Bucks-Pond-Prowler-Boat-8/product/10204570/100475 . Im still not sure what im going to get ill have to alot of research as this is gonna be my most expensive fishing related purchase and I want to make the best of it. Anyone have any experiance with these boats? or similar ones they can recommend?

Thanks again

Mike

The price on that one is attractive but the seat position would leave a lot to be desired. Canadian Tire has the Bass Hound for $1200 and the Sun Dolphin for $1800. I have a buddy with a Bass Hound and I have fished off it at least 50 times and it is a very fishable dureable unit but after a day of fishing you are tired/stiff and you need a pickup truck to move around with it. I still think paying the extra money for the Fold Cat would be worth it and it deflates and can be transported in the trunk of your car. If in fact a standup kayak is viable that is also a great option as flipping to cover is somthing I cannot do from my Hobbie (and I would like that option for some of the swamps around here).

That's a great article. Reminds me that when I was allowed on Spoonpullers.com the powerboat trollers, a group that would not be that upset if they rolled over a silent sports aficionado, all commented on how they could not see Kayak Joe when he was out deep with them trolling up salmon (he goes out to about 150ft). I'm betting that the rag toppers can't see him either. Personally I never go past about 40ft (about 1/2 mile off Bronte) and my kickboat sits much higher than the kayaks. The whole point of the article reminds me why I prefer the kickboat for fishing and that the other option I would take is the Foldcat.