Muskie box

zman

I.have.a.Lakewood.box,the.one.with.the.plastic.boxes.inside...I.do.not.care.for.it!

It.seems.there.is.no.real.good.solution.for.Musky.lure.storage...most.lures.are.just

to.large!

I.have.culled.my.lures.for.this.seasons.fishing.and.will.only.be.taking.what.I.consider

essential.on.the.water.

Guest mistyriver1

Zman, I'm not sure if you're looking for suggestions to purchase or not, but I made this about a month or so ago out of a Rubbermaid container. I drilled holes along the top to hang my crank/jerkbaits and drilled two holes on each side and strung some picture wire through to hang my spinnerbaits. I put large slit rings on the wire and put electrical tape around so they wouldn't slide. I put hangers on the side for some long bootail type baits as well.

It's a cheap alternative.

108_0866.jpg

I built this one outta ¼" ply to hold my largest boo-tails.

It's 13" x 13" x 24" and works perfectly, and the air holes are for drying the mariboo.

I cut a couple 1 inch strips of ply, the length of the inside of the box, then drilled them and inserted ¼" steel rods the exact width, then fastened the strips near the top of the box to hang the baits on.

A couple hinges and a clasp and your good to go.

Total price of the box was less than the price of one boo-tail ;)

Cnv1857.jpg

Cnv1867.jpg

The all time best, easiest box is the MILK CRATE box. Just go to the grocery store or a convenience store and ask if they have any milk crates you'll usually get one for free. Step two go to a hardware store or house building supply store and get a 19' piece of vinyl DOWNSPOUT (the stuff on eavestrophs) 20 pieces 11" long will fit snug into the crate.

It's light, durable, organized and cheap and will last forever. Hard to beat, this idea has been around for ever and it works great, I'm going to make another one for a boo-box too.

You could build a lid from plexi or lexan if you want, and just tie some rope on if you want a handle.

I just found a pic of another guys here : You can get a lot of different colored crates to. :lol:

gallery_322_145_56487.jpg

I just noticed this box has 25 pieces, there might be 2 standard crate sizes ? not sure. Just get 25' of vinyl to make sure or do a little measurement on your crate.

Edited by GbayGiant

This is the one my daughter made me two Christmas's ago

baitbox2.jpg

or a Lakewood Musky Monster box ~ $140cdn and like Musky66 not overly impressed with trying to get lures out of it ..or the fact that the material they used for the outer pockets absorbs and holds water!

muskylures2.jpg

you guys are brilliant. I had been using big 2 dollar styrofoam coolers (other than for bulldawgs etc who like to eat styrofoam) and then replacing them every year. Last year changed to a deep tupperware bin. Really like the eavestrough angle for organizing things and adding surface area, gonna give that a shot.

Here's another idea for the plastic downspouts.

If your like me and never keep fish, the livewell in your boat makes an excellent storage locker for hanging musky baits, and is where I keep about 60 bucktails.......used to be 80 but I thinned the herd abit.

They're outta the way but easy to get at when you need something.

Cnv0435.jpg

Some good stuff here. I really like the Lakewood boxes and kinda use them like added deck in the boat (nice feature that you can walk/stand on them). Saw neat idea a while ago as had a guy post a good idea on site and unfortunately don't have photos, but if you're familiar with those foam swimming-noodle-thingies ... this guy attached them under gunnels on the inside of his boat for hanging baits. It looked like a great system to me for baits used during the day, when switching back-n-forth, rather than having the big pile or putting them back in the box right away wet.

Pete

Here's a couple other ideas for larger baits that work well for me.

I strung a piece of heavy wire across the very front of the boat and it makes an excellent place to hang my larger spinnerbaits that I use most often. They're right in front of me when I'm working the troll motor and I never have to go searching for anything.

Cnv1556.jpg

For the jerkbaits I use most often, I attached a piece of plexi-glass to the front of the consol, then another piece of heavy wire and it makes a perfect spot to hang them. Again, it's outta the way so I don't snag myself, but easily accessible when I need a change.

Cnv1607.jpg

Nice ideas guys.

This is a little off topic, but what would you think of a on water tackle shop buisness ?

Turn your boat into a floating tackle and bait shop and coffee shop with Tim Hortons bait and lures and boat around, selling stuff on water. :lol:

The milk crate idea works well for me. Just make sure you jamb some foam in the bottom of the tubes since if a lure drops down by accident the trebles can get stuck around the crate floor webbing. Also, the eavestrough pieces can be longer than 12 inches to keep the really long baits from hitting bottom.