A day down at Ontario Place

MichaelAngelo

If your going with a minnow. Get a quick strike rig with a large minnow and use it under a float about a foot off the bottom.

Awesome, I'm assuming a sliding float would be needed to suspend 1' off the bottom. I could use a swivel with a bell sinker to the same effect right?

Edited by MichaelAngelo

Awesome, I'm assuming a sliding float would be needed to suspend 1' off the bottom. I could use a swivel with a bell sinker to the same effect right?

Minnow and Float is a great Pike tactic but I have found that at Harbourfront its best to cover a lot of water as the density in the pike population isn't as great as other places. Also one of the reasons the pike are leader shy. Sure you don't have as much pressure but you have much less fish so it balances out.

I would also add my vote for you to use a leader.

There are plenty of big and small Pike around there.

You shouldn't want to take a chance at losing your lures/hooks/bobbers or worse leaving your lures/hooks in the Pike and possibly crippling or killing them.

Cheers,

Mark

When it comes to catching pike this time of year as any fish they are all sluggish due to the fact they are cold blooded. The colder the slower and vice versa to a point. Use a leader and slow down your presentation. Suspended baits, swim baits, jigs all will work. The little jetty at ontario place and boat dock on the other side all hold fish all season so keep tryin. My answer would be to get a big soft plastic swim bait/jig and fish it really slowly along bottom rpund 10 am and onward into the day

Minnow and Float is a great Pike tactic but I have found that at Harbourfront its best to cover a lot of water as the density in the pike population isn't as great as other places. Also one of the reasons the pike are leader shy. Sure you don't have as much pressure but you have much less fish so it balances out.

Have you ever considered the fact that it's the gin clear water that's causing this fish to be spooked? If you can see them, they can see you! Again, nothing to do with the leader, lol.

Check out this new leader that may help you hook up with some of those finicky Lake O pike. Very new to the market, I sold out very fast, but have more on order and coming soon.coming soon.

Small diameter and you can tie it directly to the hook. Pike guys out west bought it all up.

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_Specialty-Lines_20.html

http://www.etackle.ca/tuf-line-leader-10-15-20-50-lb-5yrd/

Edited by Harrison

First off I want to really thank everyone for all the help I'm getting with this thread. Thank-you!

I would also add my vote for you to use a leader.

There are plenty of big and small Pike around there.

You shouldn't want to take a chance at losing your lures/hooks/bobbers or worse leaving your lures/hooks in the Pike and possibly crippling or killing them.

Yeah that's what I thought before the handful of people advised against it. I'll look into a thinner leader instead of the bulky ones I've been using, but still I'll be using one.

Also don't know if you are set on catchin a pike or a fish if you just want a fish try for some Browns I am sure there are some browns in there and probably more willing to hit then a pike.

I knew there were trout, but unsure of how to target them.

When it comes to catching pike this time of year as any fish they are all sluggish due to the fact they are cold blooded. The colder the slower and vice versa to a point. Use a leader and slow down your presentation. Suspended baits, swim baits, jigs all will work. The little jetty at ontario place and boat dock on the other side all hold fish all season so keep tryin. My answer would be to get a big soft plastic swim bait/jig and fish it really slowly along bottom rpund 10 am and onward into the day

Do you mean like dead slow dragging along the bottom for moments? I find it hard to get the right speed where it's not draggin on the bottom.