NF - House Building

NO 4 years wasn't too bad considering everything was done during my days off and vacation time....I even met my wife up there in the process....but back then I was in my 20's and was full of piss and vinegar....now I could never pull that off...especially with my arthritis.

But here's the KICKER I didn't mention.....after nearly 4 straight years of working on this 2 bedroom summer home on 2.5 acres of land over looking Chautauqua Lake we had a small incendent on May 2, 1983.....

I just had a friend in the carpet business lay down wall to wall commercial carpeting through out the house, except bathroom and kitchen....and just need to add a 4 foot piece of floor moulding and it was DONE....had my in-laws up for a long weekend and my pretty bride was 8.5 months pregnant with our first son....when it happened while we were sitting down for dinner in the kitchen....

It suddenly got REAL dark outside and windy....we went to the front window and could see a tornado forming down in the valley below (we sat up on a hill overlooking everything)...that when this tornado headed towards us and I took out my new 35mm camera and started taking pictures...I ran out the back door and got some real nice pics as this twister just missed us....but I ran out of film....I ran back into the house to get more film when another twister hit us head on....yes, twin twisters....pick up the house off the foundation and lifted it over 4 feet high while we were in it....set the house back down kitty corner to the foundation (didn't know it at the time)..if we walked out the front door we would of fell 8 feet down into the basement/garage that was built into the hill......but we walked out the back door where temp steps were attached to the house because I had yet to build my backyard deck.....long story but it was a MESS.....THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars to the house, my travel trailer and both cars we had in the driveway.... :wallbash: >>>BTW when someone says your putting too many nails in that, your overdoing that....well think of my summer home...I was told that MANY MANY times but that house stood the test of a 150 mile hour tornado and saved 4 lives in the process....no one that seen the house after the tornado could believe how it stood completely intact while the barn across the street was levelled and many other homes were also complete losses.

That storm took the will out of me to build another home....insurance paid for everything to be put back in order but the contractor took short cuts in everything he could because he knew I was 75 miles away and could get away with it.... :(

DON'T TRUST ANY CONTRACTOR......EVER ! ! !

Slightly off topic, cause I have nothing of value to offer to this post - but I'd love to see those pics!

Slightly off topic, cause I have nothing of value to offer to this post - but I'd love to see those pics!

All the pictures I have of the house and tornado damage was taken on slide film in 1983....but I do still have the pics....don't know if I can somehow get them on the internet.

All the pictures I have of the house and tornado damage was taken on slide film in 1983....but I do still have the pics....don't know if I can somehow get them on the internet.

There are a couple of ways.

If they are on slides and not prints you can use a scanner that will scan slides.

If you have prints you can scan with a regular scanner and then post or take digital photos of the prints and post.

Heck you could probably put the slides into your projector, and take a digi picture of it projecting on the wall or screen for that matter. :D

Edited by DRIFTER_016

To decrease your chances of headaches when you move in, have the foundation poured in the spring, summer or early fall. You would hate to have a crack in a new build. Sounds like your picky like me so this would certainly drive you nuts. Best of luck with your purchase and build you are certainly making the right choice. After doing reno's myself, I regret not buying new. The only advantage of buying a fixer upper is that if your smart and patient you can save alot of money by looking around and getting multiple quotes instead of the contractor having you by the balls when it comes to upgrades like granite countertops, solid wood vanities/kitchen cupboards and hardwood floors. Almost always it is cheaper to just get the builder grade stuff installed and then upgrade when your budget allows for it. All depends on your taste and preferences in a home.

check out MLS.ca and search by city name. There's 2 beauty's listed right in Port Rowan for 224,500

Good luck in your search and make you get something that will handle extra parking when your fellow OFC'rs come for a visit. How's that launch at Dock Street.

The stress of a major renovation and a new home build are significant,I have friends both with 30 years of marriage divorced after it was all over.Both contractors asked them "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS" !!! My buddy on the reno lived with me for a year rent free as he couldn't afford to put gas in his car until his ex finally decided she had to sell the house before the divorce out of which they basically got NOTHING..

vance

a slight hijack...

anyone have any experience using home hardware house kits? what isnt included in their price?

I built one. i think it was 24x32, plain jane, rectangle box with a gable roof. They gave us tons of extra material. The only thing that we didn't have excess of was good straight fascia board. The guy I built it for still has all kinds of left over material, and we did that about 10 years ago now.

S.

I built one. i think it was 24x32, plain jane, rectangle box with a gable roof. They gave us tons of extra material. The only thing that we didn't have excess of was good straight fascia board. The guy I built it for still has all kinds of left over material, and we did that about 10 years ago now.

S.

they changed their format....a kid i know is building one right now...simple floorplan but as far as material goes....they do their best guestimate to the bill of material and should he be short anything on his project they come out and look to do an invitory of what he is missing ....definatly not over shot on material for his project....they didnt include things like bracing/ribbing /backers/short on joist hangers....piddly stuff really....and they didnt question the need....maybe it was just an issue with the HH we have up here... :dunno:

Make sure you are on the Aero Plan if you buy a kit from them ...

Cheers

Edited by Twocoda

Heck you could probably put the slides into your projector, and take a digi picture of it projecting on the wall or screen for that matter. :D

HEY......I like this idea....if I remember and have time I might try this....otherwise these pics remain packed away somewhere and nobody gets to see them.

Man you are lucky housing is so cheap out your way. In Guelph you can't get much for under 250K and the houses you are looking for would be all well over 300K. I don't have any experience to add but if you are able to build it sounds like a nice idea, I hear you on doing renovations I can't stand it. Our house was built in 1970 and has all the major work done but there is always something else to do. One thing I will suggest is you may find 1200 feet too small my house is around 1250 with 3 bedrooms upstairs (sidesplit) and an office/guest room on the main entrance way. I find it just a little small sometimes for storage and could probably use an additional 300-500 feet.

Goodluck on your househunt or build.