troliing motors

rob v

Hope to close the deal on an upgraded bow mount soon - looking at the Terrova. One of the reasons (plus extra power) I'm doing this is to increase the shaft length from my current unit. A 54" unit would likley do it but I'm thinking I might just go 60" as the extra cost is nominal. The only negatives to a longer shaft that I can think of would be the possibilty of grounding it in shallow water if you didn't properly adjust it and the extra length across the bow when its stowed.

Are there any other negatives that I'm over-looking to have a longer vs shorter shaft ?

I don't see any problem with it either, Rob. Running depth is completely adjustable by you whether it's a 30" or a 64". The only possible thing that you might have to adjust is your travel cover or mooring cover depending on how much room you have in there as it is. It's all I can think of at the moment at least.

You guys trying to make for something by talking about how long your shaft is? :whistling: Mine is 60" as well. :D Now having the longer shaft caused me a problem once and broke the transducer off when getting too shallow and forgetting to slide the motor up. Other than that, it's been great. Especially on the rough water days.

While on the Subject of Trolling Motors

Rob I agrree with the others re 60" you can adjust it as short as you want.

Question I bought a boat package last year with a Power Drive 54" shaft 55 Lbs thrust 12 Volt.

I put in a second 12 volt battery and I want to add ipilot.

Would you recommend just adding ipilot to the current PD Or Upgrade to something that has ipilot,24Volt, Built in Transducer, more thrust.

I could use a little more thrust as it is on a 17' aluminum with full windshield.

Thanks

Rick

I was thinking the same thing. I currently have a 54" shaft and was thinking of upgrading. I was wondering if the 60" shaft would get in the way of casting if fishing shallow, with having to lift it up and it sticking up 6 inches more?

Hope to close the deal on an upgraded bow mount soon - looking at the Terrova. One of the reasons (plus extra power) I'm doing this is to increase the shaft length from my current unit. A 54" unit would likley do it but I'm thinking I might just go 60" as the extra cost is nominal. The only negatives to a longer shaft that I can think of would be the possibilty of grounding it in shallow water if you didn't properly adjust it and the extra length across the bow when its stowed.

Are there any other negatives that I'm over-looking to have a longer vs shorter shaft ?

Here is a general guide:'

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/shaft_length_selection.aspx?__taxonomyid=855

If anybody is thinking of buying a new troll motor in order to get a longer shaft, it's possible to have the shaft on your present motor extended and it's much cheaper than buying an entire motor.

I had a cable steer Motor Guide on my last boat but it was too short for my liking so I took it into Aikmens and he extended it by 12" and charged me $200 and the motor was excellent after that.

That was about 12 years ago so I have no idea if they still do it but it's an option that can save a fair bit of money.