What Effect Does No Ice Have On Cold Water Species In Lake Simcoe?

mukluk

Just wondering how deep water species like lake trout and whities will cope during those hot sunny days of summer. Normally we receive 12-16 inchs of ice; which does not melt until late April. This cold surface water sinks to the bottom and produces more oxygen and colder temperatures which creates ideal temps.which is important for survival during summer. Even the water running into Lake Simcoe must be a lot warmer than usual.

I have personally found mild winter usually plays out to poor spring fishing.

No ice or not much ice could mean earlier spawning times that throw off anglers who catch this or that the 3rd week of April for instance...

Also with no ice the lake doesn't sometime get that spike in water temps but rather a more gradual water temp increase that some species don't like....I know Lake Erie has it's best walleye spawns in the Buffalo area after a very cold winter.

Bob

I have personally found mild winter usually plays out to poor spring fishing.

No ice or not much ice could mean earlier spawning times that throw off anglers who catch this or that the 3rd week of April for instance...

Also with no ice the lake doesn't sometime get that spike in water temps but rather a more gradual water temp increase that some species don't like....I know Lake Erie has it's best walleye spawns in the Buffalo area after a very cold winter.

Bob

Id assume the fishing should be even better in the spring:)

Above seasonal winters may impact the recruitment of LT. The eggs must incubate throughout the winter, hatch and then survive off the yolk sac until enough plankton exists in the water for them to feed on. Hatching too early as a result of warm fall weather or mild winter, may lead to fry using up the yolk sac before adequate feed exists and they starve. According to a study from Lake Ontario, 2 degrees cooler at spawning could double the number of fry alive in May (Casselman, 1995).

Over the long term - fewer fry produced in year X may be offset in future years by a larger spawning stock since fewer LT are harvest that year.

The 50,000 LT from the hatchery should survive just fine though.

Edited by Jon Boat

Above seasonal winters may impact the recruitment of LT. The eggs must incubate throughout the winter, hatch and then survive off the yolk sac until enough plankton exists in the water for them to feed on. Hatching too early as a result of warm fall weather or mild winter, may lead to fry using up the yolk sac before adequate feed exists and they starve. According to a study from Lake Ontario, 2 degrees cooler at spawning could double the number of fry alive in May (Casselman, 1995).

Over the long term - fewer fry produced in year X may be offset in future years by a larger spawning stock since fewer LT are harvest that year.

The 50,000 LT from the hatchery should survive just fine though.

I've read something similar. Lake trout produce better when there has been an early freeze up. I recall more so when they spawn on relatively shallow shoals. Less effect of waves etc.

Just wondering how deep water species like lake trout and whities will cope during those hot sunny days of summer. Normally we receive 12-16 inchs of ice; which does not melt until late April. This cold surface water sinks to the bottom and produces more oxygen and colder temperatures which creates ideal temps.which is important for survival during summer. Even the water running into Lake Simcoe must be a lot warmer than usual.

That's a great question.

I'm going to assume stratification will start much earlier pushing coldwater species to deeper zones much earlier than normal. Like you mentioned, I could see less oxygenated water (more condensed thermocline) during the summer months which in some circumstances may condense coldwater species into a smaller area of the lake (which may make it easier to catch fish?). I think having little ice coverage into the spring has a huge impact on surface water temperatures, no doubt water temps will warm up much faster. I think seasonal spring migrations/spawning would occur much sooner as long as we have a normal summer. I'm sure weed growth would begin much sooner as well.

Edited by J-M

Weed growth has much more to do with the amount of sunlight rather then water temps.....the main reason why weed growth exist in clear lakes while not so much in dark stained waters.

For sure, you can thank zebra mussels and excess phosphorus too in lake simcoe. Does temperature affect weed growth though, I'm sure to some extent there is a correlation..

I agree on the clear water. I was just reading how weed growth in Lake Simcoe has increased mainly due to zebra mussels and excess nutrients. Does temperature affect weed growth though, I'm sure to some extent there is a correlation in terms of metabolism and nutrient uptake..