lowrance x67c ice machine and fin bore micro review

ch312

yesterday was my first time using the x67 and i think you'll see my aqua vu posted on kijiji in the near future. i'm sure i'll enjoy it even more after i get it figured out.

i was a bit hesitant after hearing people say that the lcd screens are slow with a very noticeable delay. even a guy at the shop where i bought it (for a great deal of $259) said i'd see delays of up to a couple seconds. but, after using the unit, i'll assume none of the naysayers have even used one before. there was ZERO delay. i even set the unit outside in yesterdays howling winds for 45 minutes to see if it would slow down. still, zero delay.

sensitivity? in 20 fow the small barrel swivel 16" up from the lure was easily seen on the graph. i'm not sure how well it will work in deep water, but i'll assume it will work well considering i didn't have a clue how to adjust the sensitivity. i was catching too many perch for playing around :D

battery life seems pretty good as the voltage was 12.1 at 7am and 11.9 at 4pm after using it the whole day. at what voltage will the unit shut off?

i really like the fact that most of my tackle and the graph are all in one bag. great design.

i also picked up a 6" fin bore micro as the jiffy i bought last season is just a tad heavy to tow around when i leave the ATV at home. i've owned an 8" fin bore before, so i knew i had a good auger before using it. this micro is so light and easy to use that i drilled the majority of my holes yesterday while sitting in my hut. effortless going through 6" of black ice.

next on the list is a 1 man fish trap. yesterday was my first time pulling the 100lb yukon TC by hand and a smaller 50lb hut is definitely needed for early and late ice when i can't take the ATV.

btw...i caught hundreds of perch and brought home a limit of decent fish. B)

Another one converted!

My lowrance starts acting funny around 11 volts and will shut off below 10.7

We mark our mini swivels in 80 to 100 FOW.. and the spoon.. and the trailer hook/mini tube as well. Three distinct lines on the graph. A whole new meaning to fish TV !

Well, the "delay" that our flasher purists always claim is absolutely true, but this delay is FAR from bad.

I don't think someone with a flasher has any advantages over me.

Btw, where did you buy the micro? I haven't seen the micro version anywhere yet.

the x67 is a good finder and as said

no delay

the guys at next bite even showed it on their show

he moved and the marked on the finder moved 100% the same time

if anyone has delay it's an old or broken or cheap finder

new ones are great

Another one converted!

My lowrance starts acting funny around 11 volts and will shut off below 10.7

We mark our mini swivels in 80 to 100 FOW.. and the spoon.. and the trailer hook/mini tube as well. Three distinct lines on the graph. A whole new meaning to fish TV !

Same with my old Lowrance X100C. Can see the tiny barrel swivel for a leader as well. No delay, and that is using a regular transducer. I was going to pick up the actual ice ducer, but for the $100, I can't quite justify it.

I've fished twice with a flasher, and had success. but I'll still take a graph over them anytime.

Have fun with the X67!!

yesterday was my first time using the x67 and i think you'll see my aqua vu posted on kijiji in the near future. i'm sure i'll enjoy it even more after i get it figured out.

i was a bit hesitant after hearing people say that the lcd screens are slow with a very noticeable delay. even a guy at the shop where i bought it (for a great deal of $259) said i'd see delays of up to a couple seconds. but, after using the unit, i'll assume none of the naysayers have even used one before. there was ZERO delay. i even set the unit outside in yesterdays howling winds for 45 minutes to see if it would slow down. still, zero delay.

sensitivity? in 20 fow the small barrel swivel 16" up from the lure was easily seen on the graph. i'm not sure how well it will work in deep water, but i'll assume it will work well considering i didn't have a clue how to adjust the sensitivity. i was catching too many perch for playing around biggrin.gif

battery life seems pretty good as the voltage was 12.1 at 7am and 11.9 at 4pm after using it the whole day. at what voltage will the unit shut off?

i really like the fact that most of my tackle and the graph are all in one bag. great design.

i also picked up a 6" fin bore micro as the jiffy i bought last season is just a tad heavy to tow around when i leave the ATV at home. i've owned an 8" fin bore before, so i knew i had a good auger before using it. this micro is so light and easy to use that i drilled the majority of my holes yesterday while sitting in my hut. effortless going through 6" of black ice.

next on the list is a 1 man fish trap. yesterday was my first time pulling the 100lb yukon TC by hand and a smaller 50lb hut is definitely needed for early and late ice when i can't take the ATV.

btw...i caught hundreds of perch and brought home a limit of decent fish. cool.gif

I have used that finder for 16 hours over a 3 day weekend on Quinte and did not lose power. I agree it is a great unit. A couple thing as food for thought, I buggered my zipper, because I was going from hole to hole and splashed water in the zipper and it froze, at the end of the day I tried to close it and now no zipper. Another thin is to watch the cord where it goes into the transducer and back of the unit. I looped them and tapped the loop so that ir it gets tugged by fish or what ever it won't seperate the insulation from the wire where it is connected. Hit menu sensitivity is in the top take off auto and crank er up, I fished whities in 100 plus in simcoe and still awesome. Don't get rid of the camera just yet though, I am buying one just to find out what species is nibbling and not biting. The finder cant tell you that.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the Finn bore micro?

fishing world. from what i could tell, i got the last one in the store so you may want to call ahead before heading over.

$89.99. same price as the normal fin bore's...

We got to use our new x67c for the first time yesterday with my daughter. I turned on the fish I.D. feature and she loved that. She got to see schools of fish under our feet and could tell me what depth and approximate size. That was between catches naturally as the bite was on at Cooks bay. Our first ice fishing trip and it was great.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use the finn bore micro. awesome auger. gets a little close to bottoming out around here by seasons end but you can't beat the weight. just don't let any rubes use it because it's easy to screw up trying to open old holes etc.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

p.s. there aren't many of the fin bore micro remaining as it was my understanding that they were discontinued. the local "trading post" on the north end of sault ste. marie purchased an entire pallet of these augers should anybody desperately want one.

Used my Humminbird 788ci out on the ice today for the first time, whoa baby, I love high resolution screens for ice fishing, lol.

Even picked up the ice on the line :)

I just used my ICE 385ci Combo for the first time yesterday. When I went out of the hut to fish, it took me about 5 minutes of fiddling with the settings to realize that it was ice on my line that was showing up from top to bottom. :wallbash:

I just used my ICE 385ci Combo for the first time yesterday. When I went out of the hut to fish, it took me about 5 minutes of fiddling with the settings to realize that it was ice on my line that was showing up from top to bottom. :wallbash:

HAHAHA!!! It's crazy what these things can pick up 115ft down. I've got no issues seeing my micro swivel that far down.

i use the finn bore micro. awesome auger. gets a little close to bottoming out around here by seasons end but you can't beat the weight. just don't let any rubes use it because it's easy to screw up trying to open old holes etc.

the handle extends to the same length as the standard fin bore, a feature i was unaware of until i had already drilled a few holes. seeing as i'm a tad over 6ft tall, at first i thought i was crazy for buying an auger designed for little people :rofl2:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the handle extends to the same length as the standard fin bore, a feature i was unaware of until i had already drilled a few holes. seeing as i'm a tad over 6ft tall, at first i thought i was crazy for buying an auger designed for little people :rofl2:

that's funny! this season i've yet to extend it very far as i havent had more than 12 inches of ice anywhere yet. i don't use the last extension hole as you can tell that it's liable to torque a lot. i also found that because there are less spirals on it, it is not as good at cleaning out ice/slush as you are drilling. once the auger is about 15 inches of ice it sort of starts to bury. at 18 inches you can sometimes actually feel it packing slush in the hole. i found all of these downsides to be negligible though if i'm careful with the auger. it's a significant difference in weight when i'm snowshoeing/skiing into a lake and for the most part cuts every bit as smooth as any fin bore.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus