Rod Protection

Gregoire

Didn't want to hijack Garry's thread about the new rod design. One of the things that I kept thining about after reading the thread was how to protect your rods in the boat. It seems to me that these new rods are quite sensitive and it would be worth protecting them any way you can from being tossed around and such. Just wondering what you guys do to protect your rods when they are not being stored...so I guess I am talking about while traveling and while in the boat.

Rod Glove. Not the cheap nylon that BPS sells. The mesh type is by far the easiest to put on and take off.They come in differnt colors so you can identify your rods easier.

I keep mine in racks i bought for the boat, on the opposite side i use to get into and out of the boat.

Still haven't found a way to transport a 7ft rod in a truck with a 6ft box thoughmellow.gif when i am fishing without my boat.

Rod locker on the Lund works great. I've got a 7ft 1 pc in there without issue, I wanna see if I can get my 8ft 1pc muskie rod in there come spring!

Of course you could get it in, it might come out as a two piece however.

I like the nylon mesh soxes as well.

And to be honest, if I'm fishin' with someone I don't know I leave a few rods at home.

Just to add: I am wondering how carefull you guys are in the boat with your rods...I know this is an area that I have neglected in the past, although I have never had a rod break in the boat. I am just interested about this subject as I find myself buying more expensive equipment and want to make sure that I am taking care of my equipment properly.

My fishing partner always steps on his rods every tournament. He combats this by buying cheaper rods from Bass pro. In my old grand cherokee I used to have a hanger system I made out of nylon webbing. I stole the idea from a friend that was doing the same in his pathfinder. Int he boat we put golf tubes in the rod locker to keep them seperated from eachother and prevent them from bouncing around.

My fishing partner always steps on his rods every tournament. He combats this by buying cheaper rods from Bass pro. In my old grand cherokee I used to have a hanger system I made out of nylon webbing. I stole the idea from a friend that was doing the same in his pathfinder. Int he boat we put golf tubes in the rod locker to keep them seperated from eachother and prevent them from bouncing around.

My biggest problem, is misjudgeing the distance between my rod tip and obstacles in the boat.I am always wacking something with the tip.wallbash.gif

I always seem to be wacking the tips of my rods and am worried that I am damaging them. It's just funny for me to see the pros on the shows throwing around rods but I guess that is easy to do if you aren't paying for the rods. I guess I am also wondering how careful you guys are handling your rods in the boat especially if you have a bunch with you.

My boat is 16Ft so i seldom fish with more than 2 other people.Most often just 1.

I bought a second set of rod holders, attached to the front of the console, When in the boat, and when i am changing places, i use them, to keep my rods standing straight up. For me, its key to keep stuff stowed, and keep the deck clear at all times, that way no one is tripping or putting thier feet where they dont belong.

Didn't want to hijack Garry's thread about the new rod design. One of the things that I kept thining about after reading the thread was how to protect your rods in the boat. It seems to me that these new rods are quite sensitive and it would be worth protecting them any way you can from being tossed around and such. Just wondering what you guys do to protect your rods when they are not being stored...so I guess I am talking about while traveling and while in the boat.

Iknow thease are old school but they work for me ok , no more broke rods since i put them in . Having them right handy in the spot in the boat where i fish from they give me a place every time to stick the rod while i get the hook out .

My Famous Snaggletooth Redneck GRUMMAN (Voted Best Boat BTW) was ordered with a 7.5' rod locker to protect my rods... :) (see pic) ....it can hold 7 rods total...but just as Skip has posted above you will notice the PVC rod holders all around my vessel....when a fish is landed I put said rod in one of the white rod holders...this gives me two hands to remove the hook from the fish all while not having the worry of stepping on a expensive rod....I have most of my partners trained now to do the same...and the best part was, FREE....since I had the scrap material laying around.

SturgeonLakeatCliffsHouse6-24to7-1-11058.jpg

My Famous Snaggletooth Redneck GRUMMAN (Voted Best Boat BTW) was ordered with a 7.5' rod locker to protect my rods... :) (see pic) ....it can hold 7 rods total...but just as Skip has posted above you will notice the PVC rod holders all around my vessel....when a fish is landed I put said rod in one of the white rod holders...this gives me two hands to remove the hook from the fish all while not having the worry of stepping on a expensive rod....I have most of my partners trained now to do the same...and the best part was, FREE....since I had the scrap material laying around.

SturgeonLakeatCliffsHouse6-24to7-1-11058.jpg

Harold why is it i find my self lauhing looking at your picture ? I am serious .......theres nothing wrong with the picture and it was an excellent reply ..... so why am i laughing , you have to help me out here !

ll

Harold why is it i find my self lauhing looking at your picture ? I am serious .......theres nothing wrong with the picture and it was an excellent reply ..... so why am i laughing , you have to help me out here !

ll

Skippy.....have you been hitting the hard stuff again...spiking the morning coffee have you... :whistling:

Skippy.....have you been hitting the hard stuff again...spiking the morning coffee have you... :whistling:

No No , but i think i've got it figured out now , looking at the hight of that dock and seeing where the level off the floor isfor the boat , and if not how you got out , or how is it your gona get in ,you ain't that tall is whats making me laugh ........... lol

Edited by Skipper " D "

EASY PEASY Skippy.........one step on the port side gunnel then one step onto my casting platform and finally the last step into the main part of the vessel... the front of my boat from the windshield forward is about 8" higher then the rest of the floor....from that picture you can't see it but that also contains my 22 gallon live well.

Voted Best Fishing Boat EVER.... :thumbsup_anim:

EASY PEASY Skippy.........one step on the port side gunnel then one step onto my casting platform and finally the last step into the main part of the vessel... the front of my boat from the windshield forward is about 8" higher then the rest of the floor....from that picture you can't see it but that also contains my 22 gallon live well.

Voted Best Fishing Boat EVER.... :thumbsup_anim:

My mistake , any how theres one good idea for holding the rods up out of the way . And am still laughing .

Looks like the docks on Sturgeon lake.

Rod storage depends on the boat. in our 21foot bass boat they go in the locker or strapped to the decks. at the bigining of a tournament we have about 4 rods each out, by the end we have about 30 rods out at least.

In my tin boat i used to leave them in the vertical rod holders until I had a musky run under my boat and I tried to sweep around to the other side of the boat and caught reel on one of the rods that was up vertical and it opened the bail... man did that musky go for a swim. I managed to land it a 43" musky on pigeon river, but that was the last time I stored rods upright.

Edited by jedimaster

near cliffs place, and you took the picture with a Nikon Cool Pix S570. :) ok fin I cheated, thats the properties of your picture. lol. I orignially thought ceserea

RIGHT on the camera....WRONG on the location....so no worms for you...come back one year.... :rofl2: