Beteau Lake Pike & Walleye

walleye wanderer

This is a topic that has caught my interest even though I have never been been up there.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What time of year do you guys think is the best time to go ? Spring , Summer, Fall ?

2) Do you think that with Eddie being booked solid and with all the interest, increased exposure and added fishing pressure there is a chance that the fishing could decline ?

It's a river and the conditions can vary dramatically depending on water levels.

I firmly believe that if water levels stay consistent and don't drop like crazy July/Aug can be just as good as spring/fall at Eddies. Even in the heat of summer up there water temps remain cool and pike are active and aggressive.

That said just like anywhere else late May to mid June is more or less money in the bank.

September is also a safe second bet as the pike really put on the feedbag as water temps drop in the fall.

Those are typical seasonal patterns that would never change no matter where you fish.

Fortunately Eddie has implemented a zero kill policy on all pike. Take a picture and throw them back...

Also the fact that it's a massive river system constantly being replenished is in his favour.

I'd be curious to know how far some of these pike migrate. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out it's quite far.

There's no doubt that there will be a small percentage of delayed mortality due to mishandling and sheer accidents, but I'm as confident as can be that the fishery will remain good far into the future.

As caretaker of the resource Eddie is doing his part to ensure it remains a quality fishery.

Also the fact that it's a massive river system constantly being replenished is in his favour.

I'd be curious to know how far some of these pike migrate. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out it's quite far.

There is really nothing that compares to that system down here. I agree that those pike probably move quite far each season to find siutable spawning conditions with rising and dropping water levels. Great discussion guys. Im starting to think I will have to get up there someday. I will start saving my pennies now !

This thread has to be an omen; I just talked to Eddie last week about my brother and me wanting to go to his camp this summer; been waiting for my brother’s health to stabilize and it’s now (this summer) or never.

I was going to wait until Eddie had confirmed the dates for us and then post a request from everyone that has been for these exact tips and pictures of tackle.

Once we’ve received conformation from Eddie; I’ll maybe post again asking about food packing tips; as in what style and size of cooler(s); opinions on using dry ice, does Eddie have refrigeration there, things like that.

Thanks guys and keep the pictures coming.

Dan.

This thread has to be an omen; I just talked to Eddie last week about my brother and me wanting to go to his camp this summer; been waiting for my brother’s health to stabilize and it’s now (this summer) or never.

I was going to wait until Eddie had confirmed the dates for us and then post a request from everyone that has been for these exact tips and pictures of tackle.

Once we’ve received conformation from Eddie; I’ll maybe post again asking about food packing tips; as in what style and size of cooler(s); opinions on using dry ice, does Eddie have refrigeration there, things like that.

Thanks guys and keep the pictures coming.

Dan.

That's awesome Dan, glad to hear you and your bro are going to make it.

No need for dry ice. You can keep your perishables in a large cooler for the trip up, then before you fly in switch the stuff over to carboard boxes or throw away styrofoam coolers that weigh nothing. (assuming weight is an issue).

There's at least two full sized fridges in camp plus a full sized chest freezer waiting for you when you arrive.

A decent sized cooler is always handy for sandwiches and drinks in the boat.

Lots to discuss regarding packing and food, but then planning and anticipating is half the fun.

Cheers

Used to always prefer the fall pike bite over the spring one.

They're just as aggressive, or more. They're not as beat up looking as they usually are post spawn. Water levels are usually lower and fish just as concentrated in certain areas. And, same could be said for summer conditions... more concentrated in key spots, healthy, but seemingly not as aggressive on the rivers during that time.

When you swim in the Skat, Moose, French, etc. in the summer, the surface can be really warm but just a foot or two below you can find real cold water. Remembering in early August the Mississicabi was trickling low, and even at high tide where we were the levels only came up about a foot or two. Plucking aggressive walleyes by the dozens out of a little swift that was 2-4 feet deep you couldn't help but wonder why the fish were there in what felt like 80C water. When swimming in even just that 2 feet, and finding my feet over clay or rock, as opposed to sand, it became obvious the water there in those spots were what the fish could hold to. Also any springs. The tanin stained rivers help keep light penetration lower as well. Less light, less warming below.

As far as the fishery is concerned... it's night and day when comparing the fishing between the town of Attawapiskat and travelling 2 hours up, to that of the further reaches like Eddies and Pym. BIG river there at the James Bay end, same fish, same chance, same environment... but not nearly as good a fishery because of simple time, pressure and harvest. Handle that resource with care when you're up there, because even though it is a river with questionably migrating fish, it's never an endless supply but there should be no reason why it can't be as good tomorrow as it was yesterday.

What a great post Rob! Thanks for taking the time.

If you don't mind could you provide a link as to exactly where you found those jaw spreaders?

I'll probably come back to this post in a day or two and add some thoughts.

Cheers

I picked up the Bass Pro version last year and they weren't bad except I had one bad boy squeeze them shut completely. The spatula looking one's I just recently found on a Diawa site but so far it appears they are only available in the UK.

Here is a link I found to some from the US ---> Jaw Spreaders

Great post!! I enjoy reading all the reports about Beteau.We fished Eddies last year the week of June 25th.Caught 95%of our pike on 3/4 oz reed runner spinner baits and 3/4 or 1 1/8 oz johnson silver minnows.The Biggest pike seemed to be in cabbage weeds that were in 5 to 7 ft of water. Walleyes were caught casting or trolling husky jerks.Also caught walleyes on 3/8 oz jigs and a 4in twister tails.We took a flat of crawlers but but didn't use or need them.Probably wont mess with live bait this year.We are flying into Beteau June 9 2012.Cant wait to see Eddie and enjoy the best fishing I've ever experienced.

Great info Tightline!

I agree totally, don't bring any Crawlers this years at all!

I will save you some and leave you a map. I will be shaking hands with you on the dock on June 9th as you arrive and we are sadly leaving this fishing paradise.

Okay kids, who is going to Eddies the last week of May???

Rob,

Really nice report. I had my wife read it just so she knows what I'm missin out on. :ninja:

Since there are 6 in your party, and the camp shot picture had 7 and another taking the picture, are there other people in camp?

Boy, if Moosebunk, Solopaddler and The Walleye Wanderers ever went on a trip together, think what kind of report that would produce. :tease:

Good observation Pikeslayer, fact is another group that was destined for Ritcher and was unable to get in due to weather spent the week with us at Beteau. The Wallace family included in that picture were terrific company and it was really great to see two fathers taking their children fishing, especially that far up north. It was also very encouraging to see these kids enjoying the north as much as we did, it was truly a great week.

ps. these kids are true fishermen and fisherwomen as they caught several very nice fish right Joel, how about a couple of pictures of the kids with some fish?

Rob

Good observation Pikeslayer, fact is another group that was destined for Ritcher and was unable to get in due to weather spent the week with us at Beteau. The Wallace family included in that picture were terrific company and it was really great to see two fathers taking their children fishing, especially that far up north. It was also very encouraging to see these kids enjoying the north as much as we did, it was truly a great week.

ps. these kids are true fishermen and fisherwomen as they caught several very nice fish right Joel, how about a couple of pictures of the kids with some fish?

Rob

I will try to get some pics up sometime,for some reason I cant figure out how to bring pics here from photobucket...what code do I copy?

Great info Tightline!

I agree totally, don't bring any Crawlers this years at all!

I will save you some and leave you a map. I will be shaking hands with you on the dock on June 9th as you arrive and we are sadly leaving this fishing paradise.

Okay kids, who is going to Eddies the last week of May???

Walleye Wanderer I'm looking forward to meeting you.Cant wait to get back to Eddies and catching some big gators.See ya on 9th.