Boat customizing

Skipper D

Heat gun the decals off.. clean it.. scuff it and shoot some new paint where needed. If it doesn't go to bare spots I don't know what you need if any primer at all.. I don't paint I just deliver my stuff to the local shop and go pick it up! lol. PPG does have a self etch primer for aluminum though... so you use their entire system. Any GOOD paint shop knows what to do with aluminum these days with it on so many cars.

Irishfield,

How do you think - is this product good to try:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/selfEtchingPrimer/

I am thinking to do some paint job once i will finish my casting deck. I guess it's really hard to say until you will try it.

I'm sure it's a good product used in the right circumstances cosmos. I wouldn't want to be painting a boat with rattle cans though. I'm a firm believer in following a paint system from start to finish. That means using a manufactures complete system from start to finish. Not one companies primer.. anothers paint.

When I painted my aluminum, I just sanded what was there, cleaned it with an acetone soaked rag, and applied paint. That was 5 years ago, and its holding up pretty good. If your painting bare aluminum, you need a self etching primer for sure. The only place the paint came off mine was on the tops of the gunnels, where it was bare aluminum, and I didn't use primer on it.

I just used paint from Rona. I think it was called expressions or something. Exterior paint. I wanted ultra flat, in the colour of dead grass. They colour matched it for me from a handful of dead bullrushes. So far so good. There are a few spots on the inside that get a beating where the paint has been scraped off, but I would expect that from any paint job.

S.

Hey skipper what is the purpose of the tin (metal) walls & ceiling?

Well Wormdunker it was always a side of the shop that needed a make over from when i bought the place and turn the space in to tool room with space left over to do some long term projects in and not tie up the main part of my shop , now gettting a way to late the rush is on to line it with tin sheeting organize the extra tools , paint the floor insulate the cheap over head door , install some new lighting and when thats done bring a boat i bought and start building a cutom boat for fishing . This is not ner as bad tho as the time i decide to paint the living room on chistmas eve to have it look good on chriatmas day for company ...... true story ..... glad to still be married .. lol .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Once you have a shop ceiling with galvinized "roofing" on it... you'll never do it any other way. FREE light !

cypfloatsdone.jpg

Yours looks good Wayne , i made a mistake with mine , i am useing egg shell white and i can see its going to be hard to light it up whith the shadows its casting , Wormdunker asked the question and know i am wanting to say realy its because i feel more greative when i am out there in a healthy clean inviroment .