buddy's PB

BassAsin

Hey Gang,

Well it has been a great new year thus far for myself. New years eve two of my buddies and I went out to a small splake lake where I managed one small guy about a pound, and jeff missed a pair on the hookset.

New years day the 3 of us headed into a speckie lake where we have caught some large ones last year. we were off to the races at 5:30 am and had our first lines set at 7:00. 4 quick ones by 8 bells all around 12-14" and a miss was it for the day. at noon we said that enough and made our way into a laker lake where i caught 2 small ones each a little over a pound.

on the second myself and a friend went into a small stocked lake for specks once again, where i hooked into 2 small specks only about 11 iches.

on the 3rd i had to go to the Crater city of sudbury for some tools at princess auto and sled parts at royal, so fishing was out of the question.

the 4th was a work on the sled day

and today was another early start with a 5 30 wake up call and drilling holes about 7 30. the bite was on. I had 4 and jeff had 1 by 8 30. while jefff missed a large, (2-3 pounder) in the hole jiggin and another smaller one at the hole on the set line i continued to catch and release, he ended the day with 4 and I had caught eleven, but none the less he managed to catch a PB speckie weighing in at 4lbs.

Fair share of snow in the bay, Jan 2nd 2012

DSC_0568.jpg

My new best friend, Sprocket a 4 month old Black and Tan hound, and yes she already run deer. :)

DSC_0561.jpg

Jeff with his 4 pounder

DSC_0573.jpg

this is how we decorate christmas trees in the north lol

DSC_0576.jpg

Thanks,

Matt.

Edited by BassAsin

Good goin! Don't hear of too many specks that size around the bay area. Splake and bow hunting this weekend for me.

that may be because i dont mention all of them, many of that size around the bay actually, but you have to wanna walk/snowshoe a long piece. best of luck on the splake and bow hunt JT

Wow! Sounds like a great start to the ice season. 4lbs is great for a spec, no matter where you are. Do you think it was a stocked fish or a natural?

Cheers.

For sure RC, 4 lbs is a beauty, it was a stock fish 100% clipped fin.

That's pretty impressive Matt :thumbsup_anim: Congrats to jeff on his PB :clapping:

Can't wait to see the pics B)

Merci beaucoup Jaques, cetais une belle journee aussi, - 5 probablement et pas beaucoup de vent, pas de soleil, j'espere le meilleur dans le nouveau annee pour toi, sur les lacs et chaque jour.

Je m'excuse mon francais, ce n'est pas comme c'etait quand j'etais jeune.

Matt.

Merci beaucoup Jaques, cetais une belle journee aussi, - 5 probablement et pas beaucoup de vent, pas de soleil, j'espere le meilleur dans le nouveau annee pour toi, sur les lacs et chaque jour.

Matt.

Aye pas pire pan toute!! Maudite belle mouchetées. :canadian:

Matt.

Ton Français est number one Matt :thumbsup_anim:

Merci pour avoir posté les photos B) C'est une superbe prise :worthy::clapping:

It's not often we as anglers get into quality specimen like that B)

Again congrats to jeff on that beauty :clapping:

Wish you a happy new year and the best of luck in 2012 hardwater season!

Jacques

That looks awesome. I love the winter in that part of town. I bet it was dead quiet. Well. except when that black and tan got a scent. :)

Awesome ornaments too!

it's a beauty place to be Harrison, as for quiet yes, although it seems no matter where you go to fish around these neck of the woods now a days theres a skidder makinhg noise on a nearby logging road, or a highway withinn hearing in the distance. and when she picks up a scent, well thats noise i can handle, she goes about 300 yds and comes back within a couple minutes, even at 4 months she sounds like a full grown hound.

Nice fish , if you don't mind me asking what was the bait/lure of choice ? I'm heading out to a similar lake next week

to try for some specks for the first time through the ice.

Thanks, I use dace minnows that i trap, anywhere from 2-4 inches, hooking them with a gamakatsu pink octopus hook i think size 2. i slide the hook down through the mid back section of the minnow just catching skin and not spine, then come back up through the skin with the hook pointed towards the head, about 90% hookset like this i have a fdew friends that hook them through the tail and on some days are about a 40% hookset as for jigging i use a 3/8 oz buckshot spoon with a dace minnow hooked through the back of the head most times, i also use mr champs and sweedish pimple style jigging spoons. if the bite is very agressive i use a 5 inch williams whitefish that i have melted lead on the belly of, with a trailer hook and a minnow, seems to work quite well at pissing off the fish and getting them to hit out of aggression. usually fishing them between 2-8 fow sometimes getting as deep as 12-15 but usually in shallow, yesterday all of our fish came out of less than 5 fow.

Great stuff fella... just about time for another meal at Terry and Helen's Chinese and another trip into Temagami's stocked lakes.

terry and helen's sounds tasty but as for fishing temagami area BOOO i would have only been able to keep one of these fish, not a single fish we caught this day were under the 12.2 inches.

hope to see ya up temagami way once feb 15th rolls around i plan oin trying my luck at some temagami lakers this year.

Yah... they sure messed that up and don't seem to care to fix it with that nonsense applying to stocked lakes. I'll be up there at this point from the 17th to 26th of Feb.

lake open year round means they're are NOT trying to protect it, so why implement the slot on it. I argued that one here at work and got nowhere with the bio's.

if i happen to be up that way at all in the next month or so i'll pop by the cottage and see if you're there if not i'll leave a note.