Which Boat would you buy?

sneak_e_pete

if your hearts set on aluminum look at lund and princecraft ive been nothing but happy from both these boats id also recommend taking a hard look at the 18 and 17ft lund pro v models and playing with the boatbuilder on lund you can easily price out a boat there also ive owned a lund sendero 16.5 and now i own a princecraft pro 165 both amazing boats both can handle big water ive fished lake ontario in both these boats and a lund explroer in 4ft rollers with no problems goodluck in your choice! my next boat is either the princecraft pro 195 with a 200 yammy or a lund pro v 1975/2075 with a 150-225 yammy yammy

Edited by flyinfish

if your hearts set on aluminum look at lund and princecraft ive been nothing but happy from both these boats id also recommend taking a hard look at the 18 and 17ft lund pro v models and playing with the boatbuilder on lund you can easily price out a boat there also ive owned a lund sendero 16.5 and now i own a princecraft pro 165 both amazing boats both can handle big water ive fished lake ontario in both these boats and a lund explroer in 4ft rollers with no problems goodluck in your choice! my next boat is either the princecraft pro 195 with a 200 yammy or a lund pro v 1975/2075 with a 150-225 yammy yammy

Huron is probally like ontario deep water with big rollers, you can absolutly fish a 20 k wind you just run the trough, somtimes its hard getting into port but it is possible. My friends lund is just awesome for huron, he gets out as much as I do. Erie comes up quick and the waves are tighter together, it a chop and when your close to shore, that has the bathtup effect waves hit from every direction. Not to mention the current out in the center during certain times of the year, because it is soo shallow they current does wonky things to the waves as well. Borrow before you buy. good luck

You have a few advantages right now in your favor; a good budget, time is on your side and its a buyers market now.

Alumnacraft or Crestliner get my votes, I bought my Cresty at Proctor Marine in Simcoe (Hwy #3)and they are a very good dealer.

Definetly get a kicker and try for Yamaha or Suzuki 4-strokes for your outboards.

Dont skimp on an electric motor or your electronics either. Digital DSC VHF Radio w/ 8' antenna and new generation sonar/gps.

A Galvanized trailer with LEDs will be the last trailer you'll ever own too

good luck with your search & purchase

Edited by fishdawg

I might be old school here but i like a boat with a solid covered bow , its reasuring if it should get rough while out on big water plus i like being able to head out in rough water when no one eles is out and be able to make it into a calm bay to keep fishing , horsepower.... i don't think you can ever have enough of that , just my two cents for what it worth . Happy shopping .

I picked up a used Legend 20 Xcalibur last spring, motor still under warranty, and every bell and/or whistle you can think of for 20k. It's been great, and compared to a 17 footer has a ton more space, which is nice on a cool day when you have 3 or 4 people in the boat with equipment and dressed in survival suits. Has been great on the big water and equally nice on the tiny inland lakes. I had a 16' prior and the move to a 20 was the best thing I have done. Once you sit in a 20 and drive it a couple times you'll be glad you did.

I agree with Skipper and Spough here, I've fished Erie and Ontario from everything from a 14 tinner with a 9.9 to a 40 foot Post Sportfish a charter buddy had, including my own 18 1/2 aluminum centre console with a v4 OMC and a 9.9 kicker for over 20 years. If I had your 3500lb tow restriction and budget I'd be looking at something like this rather than an open multi species boat. New listing and nicely equipped

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Awesome-Lake-Erie-Walleye-Boat-W0QQAdIdZ342872786

where is Henry N. in all this chatter? :unsure:

I thought Legend hull's were made by Smokercraft anyway? I would be looking at a Legend myself for a family fun and fishing boat.

Yes, Legends are made in the Smokercraft factory.. But to Legend spec.. Smokercrafts don't have the .100 hull.

For Erie and Ontario, Smokercraft has got a couple of models in their " West Coast Flavoured " American Angler Lineup, that to me would suit those lakes better than the usual multi species boats. Never seen one live but the layout looks hot for a Great Lakes angler.

http://www.americananglerboats.com/boat-models.php?model=Osprey+162-172

http://www.americananglerboats.com/boat-models.php?model=Phantom+162-182-202

Edited by dave524

• 2 weeks later...

where is Henry N. in all this chatter? :unsure:

I thought Legend hull's were made by Smokercraft anyway? I would be looking at a Legend myself for a family fun and fishing boat.

I'm Right here GBW! a little late but here. We own the patents to our hulls. The hulls are made in the SmokerCraft Plant in Northern Indiana, aluminum boat Capital of the world. The hulls are assembled, furnished and shipped to our head quarters in Whitefish, Ontario. At this point the boats are about 80% complete. The remaining assembly of the boats are done and shipped all over Canada. We have 48 Dealers across Canada. A lot of people are under the assumption that we are a smokercraft,sylvan or starcraft product and that is 100% false. If you look at their product, a riveted product they are totally different boats from the construction to the layouts of ours. Smokercraft has an excellent reputation and superior quality so why not have them build our hulls to that standard.

Edited by Henry Nguyen