Lake Wpg Walleye

troutologist

The past few days I've been having some success tracking down the wide roaming walleye in Lake Winnipeg's south basin. Starting shallow then following the fish deeper as the day progress has been the key to consistent action. With the near gale force winds the last few days having a good portable saved the day. In decent weather I prefer to run and gun without a shack, just some good outerwear.

Loud baits have been key to attracting attention from these fish, however, they seem to inspect these baits and commit on a deadsticked jig/minnow or a smaller follow-up offering, like a Lindy Rattlin' Flyer Spoon.

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

329717_270176623041565_100001476871116_756955_1851665325_o.jpg

Good luck and stay safe

Jay Hamilton

Jay

This colour Lindy Darter has been kicking :asshat: this winter for me on the pike. :good::good:

They are great baits. I have had good luck on the gold and silver as well.

Those green backs are great by the way. ;)

I hear you Dave, this has been the best colour for me last year and so far this year. A close second is either the pink or purple combos. The rattle bait brings 'em in and the Darter gets the hookups!

What size are you using for the pike?

I hear you Dave, this has been the best colour for me last year and so far this year. A close second is either the pink or purple combos. The rattle bait brings 'em in and the Darter gets the hookups!

What size are you using for the pike?

I use ciscoes on a tipup or on jig sticks I run the Lindy Darters in size large, Williams Whitefish ice jigs in J70 size and Northland Tackle Airplane jigs in Chartreuse or black/silver. I usually tip them with a small frozen smelt. The sell them at the grocery store for $10 kg package. You get a good batch of bait for a good price. ;)

No live minnows or live fish eggs allowed in the NWT. B)

Nice fish!

For 2 years now I've asked about the lindy darter and thrown it out myself a number of times but NEVER have I caught a fish on it. I don't even know where my darter went, but it's about time I got myself another one.

Just another question, is the water in Lake Winnipeg really clear or is it stained / murky?

Nice fish!

For 2 years now I've asked about the lindy darter and thrown it out myself a number of times but NEVER have I caught a fish on it. I don't even know where my darter went, but it's about time I got myself another one.

Just another question, is the water in Lake Winnipeg really clear or is it stained / murky?

It seems to vary, right now visibility is about 18-24", but that can change with high winds or precipitation/meltwater influxes to the Red and Winnipeg Rivers. There is always some colouring to the water in my experience.

Nice Walters...

I picked up a couple darters the other day to try out this year...

I'm just worried they are too light to fish in the st.lawrence current and keep bottom contact...

I've used them in moderate current and it is tough to keep it on the bottom. I tried using split shots to return it to bottom faster, but had a tough bite using that approach (assuming it messed with the action unfavorably).

They work pretty good in the eddies though. Also, I found leaving the bail open and letting the bait travel worked ok too

Edited by manitoubass2

Nice fish Jay! Great shots too.

Another kudos for the Lindy Darters, one of my fav's through the ice. Gold is my personal fav.

Do they come in a panfish size?

That looks like fun, how much ice?

Around 20" right now. However, its supposed to go up to +7C tomorrow! Hope we get some stable winter weather.

Thanks for the comments guys fishing the Lake is a blast in winter. If anyone is heading this way shoot me a note and I'll do my best to help you catch some fish.

Cheers.