Lost Power for 12 Hrs today

Entropy

Got the electricity back on after 12 hours today . Heavy wet snow/ice and a bit of wind brought a bunch of lines down. So glad we have a wood stove, kept the house at 21 deg C.

We lit 2 tea light candles and 2 oil lamps. When the power went off at 2:30am my power failure alarm woke me ... it was then that I realized we only had 5 pieces of wood in the box for the stove, so we filled it. Tried to sleep, then went for a walk around the hood, then to sleep. We started the generator and ran extension cords at about 2:15 pm only to have the power come back on, then put the generator away and wrap up the cords. I did not have to dip too far into my reserves of gasoline and kerosene, will save that for the next outage.

Anyone else "Survive" the day?

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Would have made no difference to me... spent the last 13 hours wiring the son's new house build.. needless to say we didn't have power today.. or the last week that we've been at it on the cold ! :D

If it did happen here at the house we're fully ready... it use to be the worst power service in Simcoe county out here on the point.. we have 3 fireplaces and generator at the ready because of it.

Edited by irishfield

Apparently about 7000 customers were without power in the City of Kawartha Lakes after the storm yesterday. Radio said some won't get power back until sometime this afternoon.

I bought a 6500 W generator about three years ago, haven't had to use it since I bought it but I was able to help Beans out last year when they were stuck without power so at least it has had some use.

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have some sort of a back up plan, -19°C here this morning!

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't have some sort of a back up plan, -19°C here this morning!

I've also got a 6500 watt Cliff and it certainly is reassuring to know it's there when needed, specially in these cold temps. We lost power last spring for 50 hours but with the generator it had almost no impact on us.

Also nice having the wood stove going and even with these -19 temps last night, the furnace hardly came on at all.

We are new cottage owners in the Kawarthas. The cottage is a 4 season place and we were considering keeping the furnace on at 45 F and not winterizing the plumbing/appliances. The smartmeter on-line showed it would cost about $4-5/day (electric furnace) to keep it there during the cold months. We were concerned that an extensive power outage would freeze the pipes anyway so we went ahead and winterized everything. Looks like it was a good move.

We are new cottage owners in the Kawarthas. The cottage is a 4 season place and we were considering keeping the furnace on at 45 F and not winterizing the plumbing/appliances. The smartmeter on-line showed it would cost about $4-5/day (electric furnace) to keep it there during the cold months. We were concerned that an extensive power outage would freeze the pipes anyway so we went ahead and winterized everything. Looks like it was a good move.

Well, first of all welcome to the Kawarthas! Where is your cottage located? If it isn't too far from us, I'd be happy to keep an eye on things for you through the winter.

We are on Sturgeon lake in Snug Harbour if that helps you at all.

Well, first of all welcome to the Kawarthas! Where is your cottage located? If it isn't too far from us, I'd be happy to keep an eye on things for you through the winter.

Hey Cliff, I showed the wife a place online that I think may be very close to you. Maybe we will go have a look at it if there is a neighbour like you around!

Edited by Harrison

We are on the Northeast arm of Pigeon. I'm not sure where Snug Harbour is

Snug Harbour is on Sturgeon Lake just North of Lindsay off Hwy. 36. If you want to PM me your address, I'd be happy to check on things anytime I'm in the area.

The Weather Network is now calling for freezing rain this eve, better top off the chain saw. Should top up the lanterns too.

If you are worried about your cottage freezing -> I bought a Home Sitter a couple of years ago that calls you through a land line when the temp is too low, or too high, or power goes out, or there is water on the floor. It called me at work this last spring and saved my finished basement. It was quite the sight getting to my road and seeing the Police, Fire, and Hydro One at the end of it.

Entropy