Ice fishing the Kawartha's

Michael_Brown

Got out on a kawartha lake today and pounded the panfish. No monsters but the action was steady. You need to extra cautious but if you find the right back bay or protected shoreline you can fish. The warm weather coming will not help but it was nice to stand on the surface again.

Chris Giles wrote a piece on our outing today.

http://www.nationalprostaff.com/report/404/First+Ice

Be careful and have fun. Kawartha's ice fishing season round 3 has begun.

Edited by Michael Brown

Wow, less then 4" of ice....kind of foolish IMHO. Reports like this could entice others into dangerous situations.

Everyone has different comfort levels. I think I posted a few times that caution should be used. I have no problem with 4 inches of solid black ice. I have a fairly good handle on my safety but you should stay home until you have 24 inches IMHO.

Everyone has different comfort levels. I think I posted a few times that caution should be used. I have no problem with 4 inches of solid black ice. I have a fairly good handle on my safety but you should stay home until you have 24 inches IMHO.

I think Bob's right on this one Mike. The problem with these things being posted on a public forum is that we have youngsters reading this and even perhaps a few inexperienced adults and seeing National Pro Staff members posting about the fun they're having on 4" of ice, well, it could send the wrong message..

Just my opinion.

I think Bob's right on this one Mike. The problem with these things being posted on a public forum is that we have youngsters reading this and even perhaps a few inexperienced adults.

pretty sure the mnr guidllines specify 4 inches, i was out today in 4 inches of good ice, why all the alarm if you don't feel comfortable don't go

Good Tip there Roy---Kids and the inexperienced should stay away till it's been cold for an extended period with safer conditions

4 inches in one place could be half an inch very nearby---no fish in this world worth lookin up at the bottom of the ice for.

some may see this on the board here and not know about things like creek flows---neck down areas etc.

I think you need to go back and read your own post and your partner's post also....as nowhere did you mention 4 inches of solid black ice, but Chris Giles did post at NationalProStaff.com that there was "about 3 inches of ice with one open spot that we could see off in the distance"....this in dangerous ice fishing not only IMHO but by many other veterans as well....

When I read your OP my first thought was exactly as Roy posted....there are many young and experienced anglers here and I for one would feel horrible if something would happen to one because they ventured out on thin ice after reading a report like this.....and I'm sure you would too....but if your more interested in taking shots at me, go ahead....I'm a Redneck who has pretty good aim when I shoot back.... :)

Bob

In Michael's defence, he mentioned more than once to be extremely careful and take the proper precautions. I do agree that reports of fishing on thin ice has the potential of leading to inexperienced people taking unnecessary risks, but at the same time reports like this are needed on a fishing forum and he presented the report in a responsible way.

if your more interested in taking shots at me, go ahead....I'm a Redneck who has pretty good aim when I shoot back.... :)

Bob

Pretty sure I responded to your first shot at me Bob. Reply button is not mandatory.

Ice%20conditions2.jpg

Stay off the ice or open water, wear a seat belt, life jacket, helmet and have 911 on speed dial. Don't trust your experience or common sense. Be safe.

I'm done, moving on to another topic. Feel free to lock this post so as not to offend anyone else.

Edited by Michael Brown

In Michael's defence, he mentioned more than once to be extremely careful and take the proper precautions. I do agree that reports of fishing on thin ice has the potential of leading to inexperienced people taking unnecessary risks, but at the same time reports like this are needed on a fishing forum and he presented the report in a responsible way.

Yep, read that part also....it can be interpreted by some (young and inexperienced ice anglers) as "be careful on unsafe ice". That is why I responded as I did on my very first post.... :)

Are unsafe risk reports like this needed on a fishing forum....well, again "IMHO" as I believe that what this forum is about, "opinions"....then I again would say "NO".

Edited by Billy Bob