Best time/place to buy ATV?

captpierre

Still looking for a 2 person capable ATV for the cottage trails in the Buckhorn area. Can't decide between 2 UP or side-by-side.

Hoping to see them all at a show. Does anybody know when the best show will be? Sportsman Show?

Looking hard at the Polaris X2 550 FI or a Ranger/Rhino. Some pretty good rebates out there. They seem to hold their value well.

Not sure it pays to buy used unless you can be sure it was well maintained and hasn't been pounded. Would appreciate any advice.

ATV Virgin

I looked for a used ATV from October till early december and found a lot of over priced junk out there. Kijiji is the best place to look for a used bike but you need to be on top of it as the good deals go fast. I ended up at a dealer allterraindomain.ca Rob was a real good salesman and I hate salesmen. He sells new and used atvs and is a great source of info to help put you in the right atv for your needs. For the used market this year in my price range I did pretty well, I got a 06 Polaris Sportsman 500HO red flare package with new 27" lpt mud lite tires, warn winch and plow mount, 400 miles and under 100 hours for $4200 mint condition.

What I learned from my search

Stay away from the no name brands like baja

Polaris are heavy witch is good for pushing snow, not desighned as well as the big names if your hard core, nice looking bikes,costs a little less.

yamaha brute force is a sweet bike

Honda has very good bikes but at the top of the price range

atv.com is the best site for research

Always check if the odometer is in miles or kms

Steve

Edited by mistaredone

Still looking for a 2 person capable ATV for the cottage trails in the Buckhorn area. Can't decide between 2 UP or side-by-side.

Hoping to see them all at a show. Does anybody know when the best show will be? Sportsman Show?

Looking hard at the Polaris X2 550 FI or a Ranger/Rhino. Some pretty good rebates out there. They seem to hold their value well.

Not sure it pays to buy used unless you can be sure it was well maintained and hasn't been pounded. Would appreciate any advice.

ATV Virgin

you missed the snowmobile/atv show by about 6 weeks. We bought an 08 Polaris 500 EFI from a dealer that buys bikes from the US auctions . It is a very nice bike and only had 348 miles on it when we bought it but when you looked at the hours it had on it it was 1170 so something just doesnt add up but we are still with it. But just do some checking before purchasing. There are lots of these guys buying these bikes at the auction at least 3 within 20 miles of us.Looking at buying a second one now and I think the X2 is a great bike (wanna use it for the dog to sit on the back hopefully) and missed a great deal on a used on last week. Think you are very smart looking at the FI with winter on the way. I was at a polaris dealer in Brantford today and they had a new 11 550 fi left in stock still for a good price. good luck in your search

Thanks everybody. I'll be watching Kijiji and Autotrader. The Polaris 550 X2 looks outstanding. May pull the trigger at the Sportsman show if they are willing to deal aggressively. reluctant to lay down $9K for another toy but compared to $35K for my boat I guess it is reasonable. especially for 2 people.

im pretty sure you arent allowed to drive side by sides on the road at all. if that is something you ever plan on.

last i heard, that goes for 2-up atv's as well...

Stay away from the no name brands like baja

Polaris are heavy witch is good for pushing snow, not desighned as well as the big names if your hard core, nice looking bikes,costs a little less.

yamaha brute force is a sweet bike

you mean kawasaki brute force ;)

that would be awesome if yamaha and kawi teamed up. you'd have the dependability of a yamaha, but with the power of the brute force's twin. now THAT would be a dream machine. until then, i'll stick with the most reliable...yamaha grizzly :D

you're right about polaris though. perfectly fine for the average rider, but a bad idea if you plan on driving your machine like it's stolen.

capt pierre, your money would be better spent on a brand that has proven reliability. polaris are the #1 major brand you'll find in shops getting repairs and the #1 major brand with the most complaints, hence the reason used popo's are cheaper than other major brands. as with any other machine, the ones with higher resale values are better quality.

Check with the local ATV club they will be able to tell you what you can and can't ride and where in that area, all areas are different. My understanding is that you can ride 2 up on most trails but not on most roads.

As far as the best place to buy and the best time; buy from an individual if you can but have it checked by a mechanic before you buy it. I sold a sled a fer years ago that was in mint condition for less than half what I paid for it and it only had 700 miles on it. It was in show room condition! The buyer got a really good deal and I got more than a dealer would have given me for it!

ch312

i believe you can still ride a 2up atv on roads/streets if you dont have a passenger on the back. you cant ride the sxs at all on the roads/streets. i may be wrong.

Nope, from the MTO website, last line:

Vehicle Information

A two-up ATV is a type of off-road vehicle that has four wheels, steering handlebars, a driver’s seat and a passenger seat directly behind the driver.

Note: a single rider ATV that has been modified to carry a passenger by installing an after-market seat and foot pegs is not considered to be a two-up ATV.

A two-up ATV must be registered and display a rear licence plate. It must also be insured under a motor vehicle liability policy.

A two-up ATV is prohibited from provincial highways and municipal roads, even if the driver is not carrying a passenger.

MTO? I thought the local municipalities determine whether you can drive on their roads.

I have an 06 popo x2 for the past 3 years.. awesome machine!! I do alot of hunting and ice fhsing with it so it works out well with the dumpbox/2nd seat.

My Friend also has an EFI ranger and its a BEAST, but my x2 can get Farther into the bush if needed. All depends the areas you frequent and what you need it for....

IMG_7727.jpg

Thanks Cityfisher. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with the Polaris X2. On paper they sound like the best for my purposes.

From what I hear, the Polaris machines have improved lately. Went to a Yammy dealer in Peterborough last month. The rep said he worked for a Polaris dealer for 7 yrs. He advised me if you don't buy a Yammy ATV, at least buy a Honda or Suzuki. Stay away from Polaris. Lots of repairs. Yammy doesn't have a 2up

Thanks Cityfisher. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with the Polaris X2. On paper they sound like the best for my purposes.

From what I hear, the Polaris machines have improved lately. Went to a Yammy dealer in Peterborough last month. The rep said he worked for a Polaris dealer for 7 yrs. He advised me if you don't buy a Yammy ATV, at least buy a Honda or Suzuki. Stay away from Polaris. Lots of repairs. Yammy doesn't have a 2up

I have been driving Polaris machines for 10 years now, sleds and ATVs. When I bought my first ATV I told the salesman I needed something dependable and that would go just about anywhere I could walk.

About two months later I stopped in to see him but I commented that I had asked for a machine that could go anywhere I could walk. He looked at me a little strange until I added "this thing has taken me through stuff that I wouldn't even try to walk through!"

As far as needing repairs; apart from normal maint. and trying to use one as a submarine I haven't had to spend a penny on any of them. I have also towed plenty of other machines out of the bush but never had to tow a Polaris out. I didn't baby mine either, skidded hundreds of logs out of the bush and broke many miles of trails.

Take care of your machine with proper maint. and it will take care of you. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything but a Polaris but that is just based on my personal experience.

Kinda like vehicles. I have owned 3 Safaris now. 300,000+ km each. They have been great workhorses but Consumer Reports says they are junk and are not recommended.

Somehow I believe it would be technically impossible to accumulate close to a million kilometers on 3 skidoos unless you are about 100 years old. :sarcasm:

MTO? I thought the local municipalities determine whether you can drive on their roads.

MTO makes the major rules, the Municipalities must make the rule to agree to allow you to use an ATV on the local roads, shoulders, ditches, etc. Municipality rules do not trump MTO.