Centerpin Whitefish

cl_fishin

A little slow in posting these but,..every September we head up to the Chapleau area to warm up our centerpin outfits on some Whitefish. These fish start to move shallow in big numbers and we target them with slip floats and ice jigs tipped with a waxie. The fish average around 4lbs and we have gotten them up to 9lbs, they fight hard, and are good eating. This year we canned some as well and its excellent. I also have some video we shot that I will post whenever I get it edited

WF3.jpg

WF2.jpg

WF1.jpg

Man, I'd love to try that out with my flyrod :) I'm assuming any whitefish lake would pattern the same? (ie move shallow in the fall, etc)

Yes Bill

They move shallow in late September/early October to spawn.

We have good runs in the rivers up here not much difference other than timing down South. ;)

Fantastic! I was hoping to catch some shallow water Whitfish in the local river but the run is very thin right now. I've been bottom bouncing waxies and small chubs but I'm only catching walleye.

Looks like a great time, you've had a unique experience especially with your pin. Very cool!

Thanks guys, it really is alot of fun, great warm up for steelhead season

@BillM I think this is pretty common in northern lakes with good populations of Whities. These fish will spawn later Oct/Nov on rocky points /shoals etc.., but I believe the fish we are catching in Sept are just taking advantage of cooler temps and shallow water forage (nymphs,leeches, minnows etc) that they can't access when the water is warm in the summer (they like it cold like trout). We catch them in soft bottom mucky bays 12-15ft down over 15-18FOW. There is occasionally a Caddis hatch on the lake in Sept but it is sporatic and the fish rarely target them like they do Mayflies in June

@Grimace... It is an American made pressure cooker but I am not sure the make