Missing Outdoorsman - Temagami Area

TJQ

Most people don't know this, but Ontario has several Volunteer SAR teams.

I am very surprised I didn't get a call on this. The OPP must think they have things under control. Or the OPP officer in-charge has something against volunteers.. That happens a lot :wallbash: . The OPP is very very hesitant to call in volunteers, even if they are highly trained, and certified.

Hey Billy Bob, volunteer firefighters in Ontario, at least the ones I've worked with, are not trained enough as they should be in Ground SAR. They are great in the water, and ice, but when it comes to bush whacking, not so much.

Ontario is a little messed up when it comes to utilizing willing volunteers.

Edited by N.A.W

Thanks TJ for this post and the link to ottertooth, where all information and leads are being reviewed by the OPP, every piece of informtion helps to put this puzzle together. www.ottertooth.com forum under Temagami.

Daniel has been missing since Nov. 3rd. Only sightings were his car being found on Red Squirrel Rd on Nov. 11; a clerk who believes he bought fresh produce (fruits and vegatables) from the Temagami grocery store on Nov. 3 or 4, and that he asked for a map at the gas station on Nov. 4. He is believed to be in Temagami backcountry. Ground, air and water searches of the area have been conducted serveral times, but no sightings to date.

DanTrask.jpg

I am very surprised I didn't get a call on this. The OPP must think they have things under control. Or the OPP officer in-charge has something against volunteers.. That happens a lot wallbash.gif . The OPP is very very hesitant to call in volunteers, even if they are highly trained, and certified.

Hey Billy Bob, volunteer firefighters in Ontario, at least the ones I've worked with, are not trained enough as they should be in Ground SAR. They are great in the water, and ice, but when it comes to bush whacking, not so much.

Hi, I'm Daniel's mom, Maureen. We have been working closely with the OPP for ground, air and water search efforts. This includes the Bear Island Police doing shoreline water search. The problem is we don't know exactly where he is. OPP have also done ground search with dogs, as well as Daniel Cyr from Massey, who volunteered his dog (Hunter) search services several times, and he plans to continue again. We were fortunate to have an expert of this area, Hap Wilson assist with OPP ground and air search efforts. They are now waiting for snow, will then decide if another flyover is doable, looking for tracks or signs of Daniel.

My husband, Don, is retired from Kitchener Fire and our older son Adam, is a full time firefighter there now. Everyone is willing to do a search, but I have to agree, these are specific search skills for getting through the bush. My husband has been up twice assisting OPP with search ang providing information about Daniel, where he might go. He too checked out various vacant cabins with a friend, not an easy trek, a definite learning experience for them.

Daniel was up there most of the summer canoeing, portaging, living on his own in the bush - but winter is a different story, and he has no communication devices and no information was shared with us before he left, big puzzle for us to put together ! Daniel is very resourceful and can likely find a place and edible plants to feed on. However, we are very concerned for his safety and well being, we need to know he's OK.

Please get our message out to trappers, prospectors, snowmoble clubs or winter hiking clubs who may be in this area, every set of eyes will help.

We understand that others want to help, but searching through this area must be done in a coordinated way to be most effective and ensure the safety of the volunteers. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated, tks.

Hi, I'm Daniel's mom, Maureen. We have been working closely with the OPP for ground, air and water search efforts. This includes the Bear Island Police doing shoreline water search. The problem is we don't know exactly where he is. OPP have also done ground search with dogs, as well as Daniel Cyr from Massey, who volunteered his dog (Hunter) search services several times, and he plans to continue again. We were fortunate to have an expert of this area, Hap Wilson assist with OPP ground and air search efforts. They are now waiting for snow, will then decide if another flyover is doable, looking for tracks or signs of Daniel.

My husband, Don, is retired from Kitchener Fire and our older son Adam, is a full time firefighter there now. Everyone is willing to do a search, but I have to agree, these are specific search skills for getting through the bush. My husband has been up twice assisting OPP with search ang providing information about Daniel, where he might go. He too checked out various vacant cabins with a friend, not an easy trek, a definite learning experience for them.

Daniel was up there most of the summer canoeing, portaging, living on his own in the bush - but winter is a different story, and he has no communication devices and no information was shared with us before he left, big puzzle for us to put together ! Daniel is very resourceful and can likely find a place and edible plants to feed on. However, we are very concerned for his safety and well being, we need to know he's OK.

Please get our message out to trappers, prospectors, snowmoble clubs or winter hiking clubs who may be in this area, every set of eyes will help.

We understand that others want to help, but searching through this area must be done in a coordinated way to be most effective and ensure the safety of the volunteers. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated, tks.

Thank you Maureen for bringing us up to date , we will be watching this thread closely .

I am very surprised I didn't get a call on this. The OPP must think they have things under control. Or the OPP officer in-charge has something against volunteers.. That happens a lot wallbash.gif . The OPP is very very hesitant to call in volunteers, even if they are highly trained, and certified.

• 3 months later...

Hard to believe Daniel is missing for 5 months now. We are hoping for the ice to be out soon, so we can do shoreline searches and checking spots where we believe he may be, it's such a large area though. If you can remind the spring fisherpersons to keep an eye out for Daniel, greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that the Sudbury SARs team (work with the military) did an air "training" exercise in mid Jan. to search for Daniel, 6 planes, 12 searchers, but negative. Conditions were exceptional, couldn't be better, but no signs. Thanks again to those who are going out of their way to search for our son.

Edited by M Trask

i'm not sure for volunteer search teams, but I can email my search commander tomorrow morning when I get to work. I'm sure he'll have some information.

If you want his contact info, please pm me.

• 2 months later...

NOTE: We have updated Daniel's flyer (attached) since his winter clothing was found on May 20, 2012.

Paddle with Purpose: If you are in the Temagami Diamond or Lady Evelyn lake areas, please be on the lookout. What to look for and what to do if you spot anything is detailed on the revised flyer, thanks for your help in our continued search for Daniel.

The Ottertooth forum will continue to be updated with information and leads:

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic=3&page=71257

246577_10150961491257436_541310841_n.jpg