Floating restaurant in the Kawarthas?

Dave Bailey

I can remember, back in the 70s, tooling around Cameron Lake and there was a houseboat on there fitted out like a chipwagon, with the normal fast foods such as hot dogs and burgers, fries, ice cream, etc. I even have an old Super 8mm movie of it. It just went around the area, maybe through some locks too, and boaters could pull up and get themselves a snack or a meal right on the water. Just wondering if it's still out there, or if there are any others. Actually, as I get older I'm thinking a floating washroom might be a good idea too! :whistling:

I've often said when fishing early morning that a floating "Tim Horton's" that operated from sunrise til about 11am would be a sure money winner! LOL :thumbsup_anim:

If business was "slow", you could jig for fish :D

I thought about that on the ice CCMT. Sled with a small Tim's or whatever trailer behind it.

There is an ice cream boat out on the Tri-lakes all summer long. Wave em over right to your dock.

Last year there was a guy with a hotdog cart on the ice on chemong, only saw him out once though.

We don't live in the seventies anymore. Government regulations ruined all those things that we remember from the good old days!

There are a lot of things we lost due to govt regulation. Into the early 80's you could still go out, catch some fish, and have the cook at the local restaurant add them to your meal. That only happens at the more secluded fishing lodges now. We used to do that regularly on a Sunday morning.

There are a lot of things we lost due to govt regulation. Into the early 80's you could still go out, catch some fish, and have the cook at the local restaurant add them to your meal. That only happens at the more secluded fishing lodges now. We used to do that regularly on a Sunday morning.

That would be cool having your catch cooked at a local restaurant!

The health regulators don't even want the fundraising BBQ's to happen anymore or the bake sales for that matter. Yes, I'm sure there are business minded individuals that will embark on such initiatives as selling food on the water, but I think the expense of following all the required regs can get expensive. You would need a very busy lake to make it worthwhile.

Edited by jimmer