Ice Augers - Electric and propane

Sharkbait22

I’d like to hear from some owners of the electric and propane models chime in. It sounds like propane units work just fine but are on the heavy side (#35) and $$. Electric are lighter (#25) and cost less, but limited to 20-30 holes or so? The simplicity of electric really is attractive. Where did you find these models? Looking for an 8-10 inch.

I have the Strikemaster Electro-laser 8" auger and I love it. It lasts around the 30-40 holes on Quinte ice (avg 5"). I'm going to purchase another battery and bring two with me, so that will last through the busiest of moving days.

I'd highly recommend one to anyone!

Thanks for the reviews guys. The electric sounds good. I see Cabelas sells them. Most days I drill ~20 holes while sledding around Simcoe looking for action. Sometimes I'm drilling one or two holes on a known hot spot.

Why not gas? Gas in my sled and what's in my sled. Gas on my hands. Fumes in the SUV and ice hut. Summerizing for gas-carb issues. I have enough gas powered tools to maintain right now ~8. I recall a buddy burning his jacket on the muffler on one poorly designed unit. Jacket was down and brand new. Feathers all over the hut. I know they are not all like that but the story is funny. Anyways I was hoping to avoid this kind of debate and get reviews.

A friend of mine in Barrie modifide the end of his 8"auger to fit his best cordless drill . He is quit empressed with it now for the pass two years running . But you need to have your self the best cordless drill you can get .

All you'd need is a cheap cordless impact. Should have no issues drilling a holes with a sharp blade.

I just bought the new Jiffy Pro 4 8" Propane and it looks great...got the 4 stroke oil in it and all I need is the cylinder. No priming, no mixing, no choke, and well there a bunch of other features. I believe it's a powerful 49CC motor on mine...they are suppost to be quieter than traditional gas augers...I'm really excited about this :)

Anyway we have both the 8 and 10 inch Propane augers in at Gagnon Sports. I'll let people know when the Strikemaster and Husqvarna/Normark augers are in also.

1 min video on the propane auger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwGs8t1VfIw&feature=related

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Just writing again, I started up the auger last night outside and it was very simple. The engine ran on the 2nd pull...didnt putter or try to cut out it just ran clean smooth...Let it warm up for a few minuted then touched the throttle a few times...seems to spin very fast, I'm sure through the ice the speed would be slower.

Anyway, I'll know more after some on ice use...

I know you said you wanted an 8-10" inch, but I can give you some feedback on my 6" Swede-bore on the end of an 18V Milwaukee cordless drill...AWESOME. I was stunned at how fast this combo goes through 12" of ice at my cottage when chasing lakers and whities. I get about 20 holes on one battery. Two batteries is good for a full day of run-and-gun fishing.

As mentioned, the silence is a huge upside, especially on a quiet lake.(On Simcoe I'm sure you could run a Cummins-powered 36" auger and not raise an eyebrow...) :wallbash:

Best part..about 10-12 lbs with my auger.

Edited by JTorra

How much does that unit weigh Mike?

The thing is a freaking brick!!!

8" weighs 38# and the 10" weights 43#. :w00t:

My old 3hp strikemaster cobra 10 1/4" doesn't weigh as much as the 8" pro 4.

I will tell ya that it gets pretty heavy by the end of the day though. Can't imagine running that pro 4 10" all day long.

I will tell ya that it gets pretty heavy by the end of the day though. Can't imagine running that pro 4 10" all day long.

I was afraid of that. That's about 12LBs more then I'm willing to lug around as a walker.

38lbs :o wow lol. I didn't think it weighed that much..I'veonly brought it up the stairs and outside once for the test run and it doesnt feel like almost 40lbs lol...its nice to carry with 2 arms tho...guess that makes it feel lighter.

Anyway a few extra pounds is fine by me, this machine is sweet...cold start 1 pull a second after i connect the propane line...I'll take that all winter ;)...I'll pull it behind me in a sled and will take the abuse to my arms for the 5 seconds i am lifting it from hole to hole.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Anyway a few extra pounds is fine by me, this machine is sweet...cold start 1 pull a second after i connect the propane line...I'll take that all winter ;)...I'll pull it behind me in a sled and will take the abuse to my arms for the 5 seconds i am lifting it from hole to hole.

I'd take it all winter too..when I was your age. It 48 I'm still trying to get a little exercise by sticking with being a walker and cutting my own holes with a manual auger. But it is getting just a little tougher every year. So I decided to look into power augers and STILL walking out for exercise. A 38LB auger is just way more then necessary with all the other choices out there.

I'd take it all winter too..when I was your age. It 48 I'm still trying to get a little exercise by sticking with being a walker and cutting my own holes with a manual auger. But it is getting just a little tougher every year. So I decided to look into power augers and STILL walking out for exercise. A 38LB auger is just way more then necessary with all the other choices out there.

STeve, the cordless drill and 6" bit would be perfect for you and your style of fishing.

I still like my hand auger, but when the ice is 2ft thick, the gas sure is nice!!

S.

STeve, the cordless drill and 6" bit would be perfect for you and your style of fishing.

I still like my hand auger, but when the ice is 2ft thick, the gas sure is nice!!

S.

That's the way I'm leaning Shayne....but my concern is that those batteries just don't punch alot of holes. It's nothing for my to cut 50 holes. Somedays I'm sure even more. So for the cost and weight of a good cordless and packing 2-3 batteries to get me through a day on the ice...I might as well go gas or propane. I have seen gas 8 inchers in the 23-26 LB range...so no way I'm dragging out a 38LB propane auger with a spare bottle or two.

If I wasn't so stubborn I would have had a sled and gas auger years ago, cause I can certainly afford it. I just really enjoy walking out and cutting my own holes. Kinda the same feeling I get walking out to my vegetable garden and getting fresh veggies instead of driving to the grocery store.

Hopefully I get it figured out soon....first ice isn't that far away :thumbsup_anim: