Marcum LX-5 Modification, owners please come in

ah_long

I posted this on Ice Shanty and I thought some OFNers might be interested

-----

I was a Humminbird ICE 55 user and I have just "side-graded" to a 2012 LX-5.

First thing's first, the 2012 LX-5 doesn't come with the battery indicator anymore and according to Marcum, the indicator is discontinued. In return, Marcum users get a 3 stage charger. 2012 models also come with a snow shield.

As soon as I unbox the unit, I realized the head unit sits too low and it crimps the transducer cable. Due to the low height of the head unit, it makes it hard to remove the transducer from the holder. On top of that, it's very inconvenient to store the cable underneath the head unit (I've seen some creative ways of storing the cable such as wrapping it around the flasher display, but c'mon, on a $500 unit?).

Here's a picture that shows the issue, you can see how little clearance there is:

6351697428_486564a914.jpg

Coming from the ICE-55, this is definitely a disappointment. The ICE 55 has a great cable management system and a built in battery indicator. Anyhow, I've sold my ICE 55 already and it's time to make this work. I went to the local hardware store, bought some 1/4 nuts and bolts and raised the unit but 0.75".

6350953223_ebbefe4253.jpg

6351697970_d588cc2ace.jpg

now as you can see, there's much more space between the display and the transducer thus a lot easier to remove the transducer and eliminates crimping.

6350953913_f60aa2236d.jpg

And yes, it would fit in the soft pack with no clearance issues.

6350954217_ddd97e7205.jpg

However, ultimately the best solution would be to have a new bracket for the head unit that raises the head unit by approximately 0.75". That way, there would sufficient space to store the excess transducer cable between the head unit and the metal bracket.

And if possible, having two cable posts under the head unit after it has been raised would be great.

---------------

My next project would be to install a battery indicator on the unit, most likely a Vexilar D130.

I have yet to take it out on the ice as there's no ice yet, but initial impressions and design goes out to the ICE 55 unit. Why I switched you may ask? everyone says the LX-5 is the bomb and I decided to check it out first hand.

Thanks for the head's up...I just went and checked mine. I must have an older one.

That is a bit of a bummer that the unit now has no battery indicator and the transducer clearance issue. Like you say...on a $500 unit that is also as you say, the bomb? Kind of a disappointment.

I picked mine up at the very end of last season and it hasn't seen ice yet. It has the battery indicator and no clearance issue, but I did get the snow shield though. My brother bought one the year before last...I checked it out and was thoroughly blown away. I knew I had to have one the first time I used it.

Most guys are quite loyal to whatever sonar they own and feel it's the best. The LX-5 is the only model that I hear non-owners (who've used one) admit is likely the as good or better than any other...even whatever they own. I have a feeling you'll not regret your "side-grade".

I'm so pumped to try it out that I don't think I can wait for the ice. I'm going to go to my friend's marina on the French and set it up on his dock and jig with an ice rod. There are sometimes crappie there.

Great solve on the problem,But not to keen on the way you bolted throw the plastic.

You have taken away the flex points and made them hard point.You need to cover more area around the nuts.

eg: If you drop it you could drive the unit threw the base.

Large flat washer and a plastic flat washer for shock absorbent.

Need to get the ny-loks threw farther.Once the cold gets to them,they will come loss.

Great solve on the problem,But not to keen on the way you bolted throw the plastic.

You have taken away the flex points and made them hard point.You need to cover more area around the nuts.

Need to get the ny-loks threw farther.Once the cold gets to them,they will come loss.

thanks for the heads up, I'll take your advice and see how I can improve on it..

what I really want to do is to use the stock hardware to mount the bracket and rather than raising the entire bracket, just raise the head unit

What Paul said is correct.Your dealing with plastic and cold weather.

If I may add to his suggestions,get yourself some thin rubber sheet ,and cut the same size as the washers.Place them in between the washers. It will help

Since it is out there already get a toilet tank "Tank to bowl bolt set" it comes with the flat washers, rubber washers, bolts and nuts ready to go. Just cut the bolts off at the length you want. You can find this at Home Depot or any local plumbing section.

Art

should've consulted you guys first.... lol

but while you guys are giving me ideas, I went to the basement and tried to find something that could spread the weight in the event of a shock/drop and I found two small steel plates

I drilled a hole in it and now it's washer -> steel plate -> plastic -> locking nut

this also reduced the overall height by around 0.2" so the screw went thru the ny-lock

now tell me whether this would do...

6351271331_0e95fc0244.jpg

6352016166_563b519f4d.jpg

6352016372_e749915d5c.jpg

Edited by ah_long

I can't believe that you have to do any mods like that to a new unit. Poor design on their part, imo. Not a huge issue but just enough to piss the consumer off. As for the missing battery indicator, just another way the manufactures are looking to save a buck. All about the bottom line.

Looking forward to the first ice report and hope the unit is the bomb. Thanks for the heads up.