do fish feel pain when hooked?

According to studies that I have read; fish do not have the part of the brain that is used to sense pain. According to those studies, fish do not feel pain.

Having said that, fish brains are different than human brains; it is possible that they use a different part there brains than humans use to sense pain. I believe that the fight that they put up when hooked proves that if they do feel pain at all; it is not nearly to the same degree as humans. How much of a fight would you put up if someine was trying to pull you in by a hook in your mouth.

As for the P3TA study with fish rubbing their lips against the side of the aquarium after being injected with bee venom, that only proves that they are aware that there is soming in their lips. It doesn't prove that it causes pain.

Ok tonyb, I guess all that work those scientists did, all the research, it was all for nothin. I guess they should have just called you. This is a dead subject dude, Scientist have proved without a doubt fish do not have pain receptors in the mouth area. However there is some pain receptors in the body. In fisherman posted there findings with trusted scientific research.

Nearly all scientific studies are funded by people looking for specific results so said scientists will do their best to prove the desired results, otherwise they lose their funding. Because of this, most studies are biased and always will be. I like fish and am not about to stop fishing for them.

Fish lack the hypothalamus which is where pain (as humans know it) is perceived. A fish's brain is far less complex than a mammal's. Fish understand invaders, parasites, danger etc. and rely on fight or flight responses.

If a fish felt pain like a person does, they would not run away from the pressure of a fish hook which increases the pressure on the hook point. If they felt pain as humans do, they would move towards the pressure to reduce pain like a human or mammal would.

P3TA is very big on anthropomorphizing animals and wants people to think we are the same. We are not.

P3TA bases their stance on a study that invovled injecting fish with bee venom. The fish were shown to rub the injected area on the tank bottom continually until the venom subsided. This they surmised meant pain. In fact, this could have meant the fish had recognized a parasite since fish would never receive a bee sting in real life, it would not be within its instincts to know what to do.

Fish who have hooks in the mouth continue on their lives normally provided the hook doesn't interfere with eating.

If you put a collar on a puppy and try to lead it the puppy jumps, runs, turns, spins and so on but you aren't hurting it. I believe the study was done by a University of Wyoming professor.