Fear the Reaper.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I put the new float rod (nicknamed the reaper) to work on it's first steelheading trip and it didn't disappoint. I banked a few fish and managed to turn a big male in a tailout that I have been snapping leads constantly in because my rod was too meaty.

It's my first float rod build. Simple. Super light. I took some photos of the new stick and the first fish it caught - high in omega 3's and going on the plate tonight. The other fish were released undigested. Now on to the next rod.

P1040021.jpg

P1040013.jpg

P1040009.jpg

can you tell what river this it? psssst... it's my driveway!

P1040023.jpg

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Nice job dude. Just out of curiosity why the small stripper guides close to the handle?

They'll choke your line and reduce casting distance....

if there is a difference in my casting it wasn't noticeable today. i used the guide spacing guideline provided by the manufacturer. and i'm not a fan of high frame guides walking through the bush.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

if there is a difference in my casting it wasn't noticeable today. i used the guide spacing guideline provided by the manufacturer. and i'm not a fan of high frame guides walking through the bush.

I'm sure the guide spacing is perfect. Anyhow it looks great, nice job on the build.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'll have to get onto the st. mary's to see if it has drastically cut my casting distance. i'll take a negligible loss in casting distance for lighter weight, increased sensitivity, and less alder snags.

my supplier out west insinuated that match guides etc. on float rods was a great lakes steelheader thing (as well as the tying of a guide for a tip top)...

i'll get a few days out with it and i'll know better. i was pretty happy today though! :Gonefishing:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i'll have to get onto the st. mary's to see if it has drastically cut my casting distance. i'll take a negligible loss in casting distance for lighter weight, increased sensitivity, and less alder snags.

my supplier out west insinuated that match guides etc. on float rods was a great lakes steelheader thing (as well as the tying of a guide for a tip top)...

i'll get a few days out with it and i'll know better. i was pretty happy today though! :Gonefishing:

Very few guys use match guides anymore bud, in fact Fuji doesn't even make them anymore.

Most guys are running either Fuji concept guides (either YSG or TYSG) or pretty much any standard low frame spinning guide.

Many many guys are running smaller guides on the tip, there's no issue with that other than ice up when it gets cold.

Most guys will start the build with a larger guide, usually a #20 then taper it down quickly to the small tip guides.

Beyond a reduction in casting distance your line won't flow off the float reel as effortlessly especially in frogwater with the small stripper guide so close to the reel.

Weight on 3 larger guides is so negligible it's not even worth mentioning. As far as catching on brush, non issue there either.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Very few guys use match guides anymore bud, in fact Fuji doesn't even make them anymore.

Most guys are running either Fuji concept guides (either YSG or TYSG) or pretty much any standard low frame spinning guide.

i don't know about custom built rods, but any commercial bought rods i have from berkley, raven, and okuma all have match guides. i figured it must be popular with somebody. i must be behind in the times!

i looked at the tysg's as they were recommended to me but i just didn't want to spend that much on my first float rod build. kind of scary still. i built this rod for less than 160 dollars. :thumbsup_anim:

when i get brave (and have a better job) i'll build on fuji's... hell, i'll build on a cts instead of mhx.

i don't know about custom built rods, but any commercial bought rods i have from berkley, raven, and okuma all have match guides. i figured it must be popular with somebody. i must be behind in the times!

i looked at the tysg's as they were recommended to me but i just didn't want to spend that much on my first float rod build. kind of scary still. i built this rod for less than 160 dollars. :thumbsup_anim:

when i get brave (and have a better job) i'll build on fuji's... hell, i'll build on a cts instead of mhx.

Match guides have been kind of old school retro for years. Almost no one builds with them anymore although Pac Bay still makes a high frame.

YSG's perform just as nicely as the titanium version, you may want to check those ones out for your next build.

Nice work for sure. Very clean build :). It looks like you've got talent!

CTS is an amazing blank, especially the 12 ft. I had a chance to test-drive Solo's last week and I was very impressed. Ridiculously light and very strong.

If I may suggest... on future builds I would also experiment with setting the reel further back. You utilize more blank that way, which is good both for casting and fighting fish. Mind you, it all comes down to personal preference. But if you try it, you may find that you prefer it :).

p.-

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

If I may suggest... on future builds I would also experiment with setting the reel further back.

p.-

i prefer having a longer rear grip for leverage on a long 13' rod. i like for the rear grip to reach back to my elbow for leverage. i honestly don't know how you guys fish with such short rear grips. the rod doesn't balance as well and when fighting a fish i find you have less leverage. that's just physics. like you said, it's all personal preference and i don't recall every commenting on anybody elses choice of cork or guides... :whistling:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i prefer having a longer rear grip for leverage on a long 13' rod. i like for the rear grip to reach back to my elbow for leverage. i honestly don't know how you guys fish with such short rear grips. the rod doesn't balance as well and when fighting a fish i find you have less leverage. that's just physics. like you said, it's all personal preference and i don't recall every commenting on anybody elses choice of cork or guides... :whistling:

Point taken. I certainly meant it in the most constructive fashion - not negative at all. Again, I think you did a gorgeous job. I might ask you to build one for me in the future :thumbsup_anim: .

The only reason I suggest it - other than for the purpose of discussion - is because I used to prefer it the way you do now. Ever since I lengthened the fore grip and shortened the rear grip, I found myself not wanting to use it the other way anymore. Having a longer rear grip feels like fishing with a shorter rod, if you ask me (though, admittedly, I realise you didn't actually ask :lol: ). Both my current 13' builds butt up just a little more than half-way down my fore-arm, and I find that that's sufficient leverage for me. Neither of my pins are as amazingly light as your SST, so maybe that's why I don't feel a tremendous amount of imbalance either. My favourite is a 13' 2 piece Rainshadow XST, which used to belong to Solopaddler.

The easy way to settle this for yourself, of course, is to wire/duct tape your reel further back, on your current build one of these days, just to see.

Or if I'm ever lucky enough to fish up your way, you can borrow one of mine for a couple hours as we crush chrome together. Certainly, if you're down my way (east of Toronto) feel free to PM me. With luck, I can set you onto some of those chunky Lake O. critters ;).

p.-

like you said, it's all personal preference and i don't recall every commenting on anybody elses choice of cork or guides... :whistling:

But...you posted pic's of a float rod you built soliciting comments on it. :lol:

From my end I applaud your work.

No need to be defensive about any criticisms, they're solely meant in a constructive way.

Edited by solopaddler