question for the car guys

Ok, so my wife drove my kids down the street to her moms on a flat tire. She discovered that there were two screws in her rear passenger side tire. I went over there and being the way I am I wasn't gonna call CAA and wait two hours for them to show. So I got the jack out, lifted the car and took the tire off. I realized I needed to lift the van a little more to get the spare on. So I did and the jack slipped out and the van dropped tireless about 4 inches at most and was there for about 3-4 minutes while I got the jack back in place. Nothing really looked damaged but I'm not sure if I damaged the suspension at all.

I know stupid rookie move but what do you think? Could I have damaged my van?

Glad you didn't get hurt, it probably landed on the bottom of the brake assembly - check for damage there. Suspension is designed to take shock in a vertical plane so it is probably ok.

One habit I got into is to have the spare out and ready and place it under the vehicle in case the jack slips, swap out the flat and put it under while you tighten the spare. The thickness of the rim can save a body part and makes it easier to relocate the jack if it slips.

Dan

More than likely, no you didn't damage the van. You are lucky you didn't get hurt. Make sure whenever you jack up ANYTHING, it is always jacked up on a portion of the frame. I HAD a friend with a young family a few years ago who changed the oil on his car in the driveway, he didn't use jackstands, only the jack, well the jack slipped with him under the car. He was found by his neighbour, thankfully not the kids. Don't mess around, safety always comes first.

One habit I got into is to have the spare out and ready and place it under the vehicle in case the jack slips, swap out the flat and put it under while you tighten the spare. The thickness of the rim can save a body part and makes it easier to relocate the jack if it slips.

That's what I do too. Best advise is to make sure you have either the other wheel or something else under the car/van/truck that can stop it from falling down if the jack fails.

I would never put my flat under the frame of my truck.At the height my truck is at full jack too change a flat,

It would bend the frame on impact.

Use chokes,it's the safest way to jack when tires are involved.

You can get those chokes cheap,at Princess Auto.

Good to see you didnt get hurt, with whats going on in your life. :good: