replacing trebles on cranks

mike rousseau

the hooks on my walleye cranks take an absolute beating cause i literally drag the bottom with em sometimes...

i regularly have to change the hooks on my baits... i just ordered a pile of split rings and pliers... but im having a hard time deciding what trebles to buy...

im leaning towards ultra point cause they sound very durable... more specificaly the - mustad ultra point triple grip - trebles...

or do you use others that you would recomend?

thnx everyone...

again... these are for cranks only if that makes a difference

the hooks on my walleye cranks take an absolute beating cause i literally drag the bottom with em sometimes...

i regularly have to change the hooks on my baits... i just ordered a pile of split rings and pliers... but im having a hard time deciding what trebles to buy...

im leaning towards ultra point cause they sound very durable... more specificaly the - mustad ultra point triple grip - trebles...

or do you use others that you would recomend?

thnx everyone...

again... these are for cranks only if that makes a difference

Go with these. I started using them a few months back on my cranks and I really like them. They do hold up well, and I like to "drag" my cranks as well at times. These hooks reduce snags as well (they still snag, but a little less then conventional trebles). Your odds of landing fish go up abit as well, these hook really well.

If I have one complaint, its that they hook almost too well (if there is such a thing). If your trolling for walleye, you'll need the pliers on alot of fish.

Go with these. I started using them a few months back on my cranks and I really like them. They do hold up well, and I like to "drag" my cranks as well at times. These hooks reduce snags as well (they still snag, but a little less then conventional trebles). Your odds of landing fish go up abit as well, these hook really well.

If I have one complaint, its that they hook almost too well (if there is such a thing). If your trolling for walleye, you'll need the pliers on alot of fish.

i read a report where someone said the same thing... a hook that hooks too well... thats a good thing in my mind..... i get a lot of walleye bumping and tapping my baits... maybe these hooks will help turn those fish into caught fish....

i read a report where someone said the same thing... a hook that hooks too well... thats a good thing in my mind..... i get a lot of walleye bumping and tapping my baits... maybe these hooks will help turn those fish into caught fish....

It will help, for sure. I would def. use these hooks if your guiding, especially for those with less experience in landing big walleye and how to keep the pressure on.

The KVD ones work well also.

I got mine from lureparts and the price is good. Def. worth switching out your trebles if your gonna catch more fish

The Mustad triple grips are really good hooks.

I like the 1x LONG, 2x STRONG hooks on the belly of crank baits (the ones that Rapala has started putting on some of their crankbaits)...but unless my eyes are not working, I cannot find them on the Mustad website.

Those are VMC hooks if I'm reading you correct. The Sureset Treble I believe?

I was wondering the same thing as Musky Mike, so I'll pick up some of the Mustad hooks. I put some Eagle Claw trebles on a couple of my lures that needed new hooks, and they worked well... But nobody talks about Eagle Claw so I am guessing they're not very well-liked by more experienced fisherpeople.

I really like the Kamakazi baitholder hooks, and I put those on some of my spoons. I have a hard time finding them though, and I haven't seen their trebles in stores. They were recommended to me by a friend who helped reignite my passion for the sport.

Edited by Dana

Dana,

Eagle Claw makes some good hooks, just depends on what type of hook you are looking to use. I have yet to see a company that makes the best hooks for every style. I like the Trokar Drop shot hooks, they work very well (now I'm waiting to try the VMC Drop shot hooks)

Sinclair, I don't think Mustad has a treble hook like that. Gamakatsu does though

Edited by manitoubass2

not sure about hooks for the little fish but anyone looking for good pliers check out walmart they have some very nice ones for $11 I have about 6 pairs just so I dont leave home with out them they are great better then some of the $20-$30 ones I had.

Mike how do you jump from replacement trebles to cheap pliers at Walmart? :lol:

Thanks for the tip I'll check them out.

I also like the Excalibur rotating hooks. One thing for sure, most lures need higher quality hooks. VMC, Gamakatsu, Owner, Excalibur are all great hooks.

I like my hooks to be short, wide gap, very light wire. But I often use 4 and 6 lb mono so I need to use hooks that penetrate easily and quickly. My reel's brake is never very tight.

I sure would like to know who makes the hooks on Panther Martins. They are extremely sharp, stay sharp, very thin yet strong and seem rustproof.

failing to mention crankbait types. thru the years we change up to vmc cone cut trebles, on walleye cranks. they are shorter shank round bends.

on musky baits hooks depend upon lures themselves..

i normally hook and t over 10,000 hooks per year.

my personal preference on muskys is longer shank thinner wire for excellent penetration.