cleaning pike

northernpike56

Hey all I am wondering if I gutted and took off the head of a smaller pike (say 20") Would I be able to wrap it in tin foil and place it on the bbq just like a trout? Kind of stupid question but I know the pike have lots of slime and scales so i'm not sure if they would be the same as trout.

Thanks in advance

- Matt

Hey all I am wondering if I gutted and took off the head of a smaller pike (say 20") Would I be able to wrap it in tin foil and place it on the bbq just like a trout? Kind of stupid question but I know the pike have lots of slime and scales so i'm not sure if they would be the same as trout.

Thanks in advance

- Matt

YES absolutly:

Small pike are amazing cooked like that.

But they must be very clean and stuffing the belly ful of mushrooms green or red pepper onions a little bit of garlic lots of butter and whatever els you like,.

MMMMMMMM

In small pike/hammerhandles the Y bone tends to become mushy when cooked so it doesnt become a factor.

Over 20inches not so good.

Cook it just like a trout.

10-15 mins on medium.

MMMMM yummy.

When I was a kid, we cooked ALL of our pike like that. We'd typically put some butter and onions, or beer, in with the fish. It sucked picking out the y-bones. Nowadays, I filet them but I always miss some small bones in a section near the tail.

That's how I used to cook every fish I caught when I was a kid.

You get used to where the bones are, and can pick them out really quickly.

I have never stuffed anything in the belly before cooking like other are suggesting. But I have put a few slits down the side of the fish, and stuffed with garlic.

It's a easy way to prepare fish, that's for sure.

Under 25" = 3 fillets ... one from the back and two from the sides...stop short at the dorsal/anal fin to avoid the Y bones.

Over 25" = 5 fillets ... one from the back and two from the sides and

two from the tail behind the dorsal and anal

fins....

totally boneless.... wrap those up in foil and go at 'er.

I use Butter Pam on the foil Garlic Butter between the fillets and seasoned with Epicure Lemon Dilly spice with fresh Chives. Medium Heat for 6min/side.

They're also very good on a soaked Cedar plank.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Under 25" = 3 fillets ... one from the back and two from the sides...stop short at the dorsal/anal fin to avoid the Y bones.

fins....

I use Butter Pam on the foil Garlic Butter between the fillets and seasoned with Epicure Lemon Dilly spice with fresh Chives. Medium Heat for 6min/side.

Randy

Everyone who eats pike should learn to fillet them this way thumbsup_anim.gif. My pops showed me a few years ago and it works very well.

My Father-in-law will often keep a pike from the last night of fishing at camp to bring home for he and my Mother-in-law. All he ever does is cut the head off and gut it, wrap it in newspaper and throw in the cooler. He says the wife just roasts it in the oven and they pick the meat away from the skin and bones.

I've been invited, but have repeatedly declined. I like eating fish but it has to be boneless or it makes me gag. I had a bad experience as a kid that ended with my Dad plucking lake trout bones from the back of my throat by kerosine lamp light with a set of needle-nose pliers.

I have a hard time imagining fish stuffed with onions and butter (maybe some 3/4 cooked crumbled bacon too!) and given the BBQ tinfoil treatment not tasting good, so I'd say give it a try and let us know how it turns out.

fins....

Randy

I use this technic as well. Works good!