I am a lean mean fish'en machine

Skipper D

After you've read all the info you can find and purchase your tackle, just get out there and fish. Nothing works better, lol.

The one thing you'll notice about bass fishing with other anglers is that most will have there own styles of fishing. So pick up what you can, get out and fish as much as you can and develope your own style of bass fishing.

The good thing is bass can be pretty easy to put in the boat or on the shore, most times of the year.

A good way to build your confidence is to troll and pitch baits at the shoreline. This will give you a good feel for your baits action and which baits to select as well, and how to vary your retrieves, fish different depths etc.

I wouldn't start out deep though, if it's possible to you. Start n more simple techniques like burning spinner baits and shallows cranks as apposed to drop shotting 50 FOW.

Just my two cents...

And don't be afraid to post questions on here about bass fishing either, after all, muskymike could have probably wrote a book this fall after all the questions he asked about steelhead etc sarcasm.gif.

Good luck!

A HUGE thanks to everyone taking the time to offer their advice...I've been copying and pasting it all into my notes also as it helps other newbies too!! :clapping:

And just to back up what Art was saying about Ron...although I was unable to get the time, Ron was very kind and offered to take myself and my son out fishing in his boat! So I just wanted to vouch for his kindness! I was a little afraid however as I know he has a tendency to drop his pants when fishing!!! :rofl2:

Thats called , just checking to see if i still have a worm sweet heart .......... , you can't fish with out one ....lol

You got a good attitude about this fishin stuff skipper I am glad you found the sport of fishing to relax with. If their is anyone in the area who wants to take the time to meet up with a learning fishing buddy this is the guy. He was nice enough to share a truly inspiring life story with me and it showed he has heart and it is in the right place.

Art

Thank you very much Art .

He doesn't use the multi quote option, that's why.

OK Ron, here goes.

At some point you will end up with all of this (minus the bottom case) to chase those little green buggers.

100_1866.jpg

By far the Strike King Rage Tail Shad (see image) is one of the best soft plastic lures out there for bass. You can rig it for topwater or on a jig like shown.

411_rage_shad_jig_head_small_copy.jpg

If using it on a jig, just cast out and slowly swim it back to you.

For rod and reel. Well that depends on what you want to spend and everyone will tell you many, MANY different brands and ones to use. The best way to pick a good one is to go to a store that has a lot to pick from and hold each one in your hand as it's a matter of what feels right to you. then grab a rod and do the same but just make sure that it's balanced. most bass people use a 6'6" to 7' rod in a Med, Med/Heavy or Heavy action with a fast tip. It just depends on how you are going to fish. heavy cover? heavy action rod. drop shot? med. action rod. it just depends. now you know why all the bass folks have so many rod's and reel's...

Geoff

.. multi quote is slow when your on dail up ...lol .Thanks Geoff , this ones going thru my printer for future referance , by the looks of all that tackle

i think i am going to like christmas this year .

Wow !! I am honored Ronclapping.gif Maybe next softwater season we can set up a day.Looking forward to it for sure Budclapping.gif

Awsome , we make two and three trips a year over your way , I'll be the one honored to be fishing with a fellow country man , we'll get it done .

After you've read all the info you can find and purchase your tackle, just get out there and fish. Nothing works better, lol.

The one thing you'll notice about bass fishing with other anglers is that most will have there own styles of fishing. So pick up what you can, get out and fish as much as you can and develope your own style of bass fishing.

The good thing is bass can be pretty easy to put in the boat or on the shore, most times of the year.

A good way to build your confidence is to troll and pitch baits at the shoreline. This will give you a good feel for your baits action and which baits to select as well, and how to vary your retrieves, fish different depths etc.

I wouldn't start out deep though, if it's possible to you. Start n more simple techniques like burning spinner baits and shallows cranks as apposed to drop shotting 50 FOW.

Just my two cents...

And don't be afraid to post questions on here about bass fishing either, after all, muskymike could have probably wrote a book this fall after all the questions he asked about steelhead etc sarcasm.gif.

Good luck!

Thank you , your 2 cents is worth more then you know...... Thank you .

by the looks of all that tackle i think i am going to like christmas this year .

who ever you send out to get it for you, have them tell the sales person you are new to bass fishing so they set them/you up with the top sellers/producing baits.

My dad is a die hard "can't go fishin' without worms" guy. We'll break your dependency :)

that's not the "worm" they are talking about Adam! :blink:

Strange, I've never seen anything like that. Salamander imitation?

Don't know. A Grub on steroids maybe? It's a topwater with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook and a 'swimbait' on a jig. think unripe pumkin if you know what I mean.... :whistling:

Edited by GBW

Sorry ,but wanted to send this back up to see if some one could add perhapse other kinds of fish and gear needed . Thank you

D'OH! lol.

If you want to learn various techniques, I'd suggest a 6'6" med. Fast action rod.

Some Dt4's. Dt6's, Dt 10's, crawfish patterns, minnow patterns, perch patterns.

Some Husky Jerk style baits.

Swim jigs, crawfish trailers, tubes, tube hooks, drop shot hooks, barrel swivels, scum frogs(or any other topwater frogs), wide gap hooks in various sizes, Swammers, 4", 6" worms in various colors, Shaky heads jigs, spinnerbaits in various sizes and colors.

And fish with a purpose. Bass are active at different times, and moving frequently to locate active fish is a great way to find fish.

I'll offer some more tomorrow, beers are tasting too good right now, lol

D'OH! lol.

If you want to learn various techniques, I'd suggest a 6'6" med. Fast action rod.

Some Dt4's. Dt6's, Dt 10's, crawfish patterns, minnow patterns, perch patterns.

Some Husky Jerk style baits.

Swim jigs, crawfish trailers, tubes, tube hooks, drop shot hooks, barrel swivels, scum frogs(or any other topwater frogs), wide gap hooks in various sizes, Swammers, 4", 6" worms in various colors, Shaky heads jigs, spinnerbaits in various sizes and colors.

And fish with a purpose. Bass are active at different times, and moving frequently to locate active fish is a great way to find fish.

I'll offer some more tomorrow, beers are tasting too good right now, lol

Doing the musky thing is a must , enjoy tthe brew

, see you then .

Doing the musky thing is a must , enjoy tthe brew

, see you then .

then get ready to spend!!!! and I'm not just talking $ this time. they are the fish of 10,000 casts for some people (me being one of them). you will cast and cast and cast all day long with big heavy gear

so why not start with bass and walleye?

then get ready to spend!!!! and I'm not just talking $ this time. they are the fish of 10,000 casts for some people (me being one of them). you will cast and cast and cast all day long with big heavy gear

so why not start with bass and walleye?

With every word i could feel my arms getting sore , no greif then , lesson learnt

Sorry Skipper D, I missed the part of this topic where it switched to musky fishing, lol (maybe enjoying the beers too much?)

Take my second post and scrap it, it's about bass not musky.

My apologies, and for future reference, never take any of my advice for musky fishing! I'm horrible at targeting them creatures whistling.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

Sorry Skipper D, I missed the part of this topic where it switched to musky fishing, lol (maybe enjoying the beers too much?)

Take my second post and scrap it, it's about bass not musky.

My apologies, and for future reference, never take any of my advice for musky fishing! I'm horrible at targeting them creatures whistling.gif

O'no , your still on trac , its me who's all over the place , but i was trying to get others to come on and talk about fishing other kinds of fish as well .

With every word i could feel my arms getting sore , no greif then , lesson learnt

Or ya could troll for them.That way, you cover more water, and save the muscles for reeling instead of throwing. Caught all 3 of mine trolling,even though the last 2 were incidental catches.

Or ya could troll for them.That way, you cover more water, and save the muscles for reeling instead of throwing. Caught all 3 of mine trolling,even though the last 2 were incidental catches.

I am getting it Paul , and what i got so far is that its almost impossible to troll with my cabin crusier and i need to take a good look at that Starcraft , me the guy who once said fishing was stupid and you'd never catch me doing it , dam fish bugs.....lol .

I live in Barrie and am totally willing to share a bunch of info with you one evening. I go to sleep late and am available after 8 ish pm Mondays and Tuesdays. I can show you all the baits and rods reels etc. let me know. If you want to catch big smalies, november is the time to go out on KBay. If you are serious about learning I will teach you some techniques that work. let me know.

I live in Barrie and am totally willing to share a bunch of info with you one evening. I go to sleep late and am available after 8 ish pm Mondays and Tuesdays. I can show you all the baits and rods reels etc. let me know. If you want to catch big smalies, november is the time to go out on KBay. If you are serious about learning I will teach you some techniques that work. let me know.

Watch for my PM Cudz

But am a newbie and i know nothing ..........can some one talk about every thing you would need to know about lets catching Bass for starters from start to finish , am all ears .

A cork with a hook on it.

Just kidding but its pretty much true .

Almost 40yrs of bass fishing has tought me the hard way :rofl2::dunno: