Musky cranks over 12"

mike rousseau

I like many others have heard "big bait=big fish"

So I have spent big $$$ on these huge and expensive baits.. With nothing to show for it...

So im wondering if any of you guys actually catch on these 12-18 inch lures... More specifically trolling big cranks...

I've tried em with no results... Then switched to my go-to baits and caught...

Is it a water temp thing?

Speed?

Thnx everyone...

I just wanna justify the $$$ I spent on these goddy baits...

Biggest bait I troll successfully with are 13" Believers Mike.

I remove the rattles though, as I do on most of my plastic trolling baits, and find that improves the catch rate on them.

Lew,

Interesting,

Im sure I could figure it out if I looked, but whats involved with removing the rattles?

To remove the rattles, drill a couple holes in the top of the bait about 1/3 back from the nose and they'll just roll out when you turn it over.

Cover the holes with a piece of aluminum tape, then a coat of 5 minute epoxy and when it's dry paint it with a suitable paint.

You can also just drill a small hole and squirt in some white carpenters glue. It'll coat the steel BB's and eliminate the sound.

You don't need to be fancy cause the muskies don't care.

I like the legend plows and yes they do work I only have a couple of them but they have there time and place like fishing deep waters where you want your lure deep but not running it back far so you can still control it with the boat. I don't usually use anything bigger then 10" but will if the time and place are right.

MOST proficient guides do not run baits ovver 10 inches. they do work but will limit your catch rates..in my limited experieces i prefer to run cranks in the 5-9 ich sizes. fall months theres times straight baits will out produce jointed baits also.

as for rattles there for kids that like noisy toys.

I am not much of a troller, but when I do it is usually in the 12" range. Like Mike said the boat control and short line can be very precise and effective with the big lipped cranks. In the last few years my trolling hours per fish are much less than casting. Rattles or not as long as I am wearing down the lip. Nothing better than washing "Hookers" on a nice fall afternoon!

MOST proficient guides do not run baits ovver 10 inches. they do work but will limit your catch rates..in my limited experieces i prefer to run cranks in the 5-9 ich sizes. fall months theres times straight baits will out produce jointed baits also.

I'm with you on this one Outlaw. Yes we have seen pictures of big fish with big fish in their mouths but realistically like people you don't go to the all you can eat buffet everyday, but you do have to eat.

Edited by Bob Devine

During a presentation by a MNR biologist at the Muskie odyssey a couple of years back the topic of bait size came up and he explained that there 8 pound walleye found in the big girls bellies so I would say that they do eat big baits.

Edited by Squid

I'm with you on this one Outlaw. Yes we have seen pictures of big fish with big fish in their mouths but realistically like people you don't go to the all you can eat buffet everyday, but you do have to eat.

with all due respect to the two of you, you have to admit the fishery you utilize is very unique to the rest of ontario. the lures and techniques you employ on LSC are quite often entirely different than the other fisheries.

Edited by Raf

I've heard a musky can eat something a third if it's size...!

So a 36 incher CAN eat a 12 inch bait... But I don't think it's ideal...

I caught about a 30" fish on a 13" suick this wknd.

Edited by Raf

I've also caught 2 rockbass (not snagged, hooks in their mouths) on musky bucktails that were biggr than they were! can't figure that one out....

But really, I would think lures in the 8-12" range would be best. It would appeal to the large fish as well as the average musky.

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

I've also caught 2 rockbass on a musky bucktail. Not snagged either, they had the back hooks in their mouth. It was bigger than they were! Figure that one out....

They weren't gunna eat it...they were trying to "bump" it. ;)