how to buy a boat in the states

ah_long

could someone give me some pointers to how to buy a boat from the states?

What cities are good to look and what websites aside from craigslist are there?

Thanks

Look at the northern states, the boats you are likely to find there probably haven't been run year round. Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York...... Walleye Central has a good selection of higher end boats, Musky Hunter usually has some nice boats for sale. Google the boat dealers in each state and search their sites. There are plenty of nice boats for sale, all depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.

well...

She's a 1999 Triton Tr-17 w/ Evinrude 115 FICHT w/ SS Prop. 70lb 24v Minn Kota Pro Bow Mount, Dual console

I'm saving about $1-2k in comparison to what we have in Canada

pictures will come this weekend

Edited by ah_long

hey, just got back and going to write a report on it

Weather: Nasty

Departed from home @ 5:30am

So my friend Jackie came and picked me up to pick up a boat from the States. I was originally looking @ a couple of boats (Ranger R61 & Triton) and have negotiated and decided on the Triton TR-17 from Clayton Marina.

Took the 401 and started on a long drive to Thousand Island. On the way, I was surfing the internet and found out the Ranger I was originally interested in had a pretty significant price drop, but since it's 60 miles south of Buffalo and I'm heading to Clayton, NY, I stuck with my original plan and went to pick up the Triton.

Crossed the border with no issues and got to the Marina @ around 9am. And I saw the shiny Triton TR-17 waiting for me @ the lot. Everything looked well when we drove in and I was excited.

We looked over the boat and I started to have some doubts about this boat. The sales guy told me it was in mint condition but well, it's not really mint and although I know it's a 1999 boat, it didn't give me the vibe that the boat has been taken care of. There are rips on both passenger and driver seats, locks on compartments doesn't work, a chunk of gel coat was nicked off the bottom of the hull and the boat is just not clean.

Anyhow, we took it out for a test drive. The motor runs well and everything mechanical and electrical works. We took it back and I started to think about it, I negotiated the price assuming the boat was mint condition as described, but being an @nal person that I am, I ultimately decided to walk away. I told myself, better waste a few hundred bucks than to drop 7 grand and feel bad about it.

As we're leaving, Jackie said let's go take that Ranger, as if he knew what I was thinking. But since he was driving, I didn't want to put him thru another long drive (about 480kms from Clayton Marina to where the Ranger is). But well, since we're in the US already, I took his offer and left Clayton @ 11am. We stopped for gas and some quick lunch and drove straight to the Marina where the Ranger is.

We made a stop @ Gander mountain and picked up some Rapala DT-14 for $1.48 each... SCORE!

After about 5 hours on the road, we got to the Marina @ 4:30PM, half an hour before they closed. I saw the Ranger @ the Lot and when I saw it, it made a connection with me and I knew that was it. The Hull is in better condition that some of the late 2000s that I've seen and it's obvious it's been taken care of. When testing out the electronics, the batteries were dead, the marina put in a brand new cranking and trolling motor battery in there. After some back and forth and testing, everything checks out and I know it's time to buy. I haggled a little bit more and struck a deal thumbsup_anim.gif. Believe it or not, I saved about $2800 by going with the Ranger instead of the Triton.

We hooked everything up, and started driving home. We stopped @ pizza hut for a quick dinner (cheap, $10 for any large pizza) and went straight to the border @ Peace bridge.

I had all the documents (title, registration, bill of sale and original online ad). Going thru the border was a breeze, took about 20 minutes to finish up all the paper work, donated some money to the Harper Government asshat.gif and we're on our way.

When I got home @ midnight, I realized the CBSA didn't give me the RIV form 1 and I had to call to Peace bridge CBSA and get the file numbers and I'll need to get a replacement asap in order to get the trailer transferred.

After a full day and 1000km of driving, I finally got the boat I want. A shout out to Jackie for being such a good friend.

So here are some of my conclusions and thoughts of buying a boat in the States

- Don't be intimidated, it's not as complicated as you think

- Request tons of photos in advance, don't make the mistake that I did. If the seller has nothing to hide, he/she would be happy to help.

- Although you've driven a long way, don't be afraid to walk away from the deal if it doesn't feel right

- Even when the price is right, still haggle

- Try to budget your time so that you can go to the DMV to get a temp trailer transit permit

- Make sure you leave the CBSA with RIV form 1

Is it worth it?

Yes

I saved about 20~20% on my boat

A semi epic trip there but glad it worked out in the end and you saved a ton of $ as well thumbsup_anim.gif Glad you were able to walk away from the Triton when you didn't feel the love and also found a number of 'hmm, this doesn't look good' issues.

and damn, you're gonna be picking up Jackie's bar tab for some time , an awesome friend who probably knows you as well as you know yourself ;)

oh, yeah, pics please lol

Hey,

If you have any problems with it next week. Let me know. I'll take it out with you. We will use my truck. I will show you how to winterize it at well. Call me on monday. In the down season we can change those fuel lines and add a water seperator for you.

could someone give me some pointers to how to buy a boat from the states?

What cities are good to look and what websites aside from craigslist are there?

Thanks

Why?? There are some excellent prices here at home. Check the classified section. The 2005 Crestliner for $12,500 without trolling motor......with trolling motor $13,000. You can't get that boat in the states for that price. Plus, you have to pay your 13% tax at the boarder....due the math. Good Luck.

i personally don't see how it's trouble.. just like buying any other boat.. all you have to do is to submit the papers to customs when you bring it over and pay the taxes... it's not as complicated as buying a car

All the best, with you buy.

Edited by FishOn

Why?? There are some excellent prices here at home. Check the classified section. The 2005 Crestliner for $12,500 without trolling motor......with trolling motor $13,000. You can't get that boat in the states for that price. Plus, you have to pay your 13% tax at the boarder....due the math. Good Luck.

Why not? You buy and sell in the classifieds several boats each year and they are all from the states???

Edited by kevin