Are These Good Combos?

Miracon

My mother-in-law just went into a retirement home and we have been packing up her home that recently sold. A lot of stuff!

I KNOW I've been bitten by the fishing bug, because out of all the home contents of china, crystal, jewelry, etc., (that I could have) the only thing I got excited about was seeing the handles of 2 fishing rods hanging out a loft above the garage! It took 2 weeks of knowing they were up there and could be absolutely anything, to finally get them down!

They are covered in years worth of dust but I swept them off a bit and they feel sooooooo nice! I was thrilled to see they were both combos. I took pics and was hoping maybe someone here (what the hell am I thinking...maybe! Of course you guys will know!), would know if they are decent. Here are the pics...

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Edited by Miracon

Yup, aside from being dirty from sitting around all that time, neither one of those reels appear to have been used very much at all. Clean them up, put new line on them and you should be fine. I still have one of those and with minimum maintenance, they'll last you a long time.

Thanks Mike and Roy! The line IS worn as one broke when I hooked the hook in my sweater (long weekend and a car full of crap! haha!)! But apart from that, as you said, they look mostly unused. Just wish we'd have found them a month ago before buying the 2 Quantums! I'm sure they would have done us just fine! :(

Just wish we'd have found them a month ago before buying the 2 Quantums! I'm sure they would have done us just fine! :(

Look on the bright side. You're now a 4 combo family. When hubby breaks his two, you can rent him one of yours. :)

Thanks Dana! Knew they were good for bikes! haha!

Roy - LMAO! Love it and will remember that when it happens! The other bright side is we have 4 kids between us (3 of which like to fish too!), so they will come in handy! Just not sure which 2 combos we should use now if it's just the 2 of us! The Quantums or these 2. Decisions, decisions! :rolleyes:

Take them all with you and rig each one up differently, then you can instantly change lures, or you can just have them identical if you're using live bait. Handy if you snag and break off or whatever.

I said I'd do this with my Ugly Stik, but I don't. The only thing I'll use that for now is if somehow I lose my Voltaeus in the lake... Then I'll troll over the spot with the Ugly Stik until I hook my good rod. Haha

Edited by Dana

As long as you like them then that's all that matters!!!

Rig both rods up differently so you can switch up easily....one with classic worm and bobber maybe, and the other with a snap swivel on it so you can attach whatever lure you want. It's all good :thumbsup_anim:

Dana & ccmt...this is why you guys ROCK! I wasn't even thinking outside the box enough to think that logically! Totally going to take your advice and maybe rig 2 with plastics and 2 with live and switch back and forth! Now I am totally thrilled to have 4 combos rather then whine that I could have avoided buying 2! Yeah! :clapping:

Did the same thing this spring with Mom. Dad was a great angler and i found a ton of his, and my grand dads rods and tackle.One old 50's vintage levelwind, i am cleaning up this winter and will re introduce it to fishing in the spring.

Who fished in your familly, to leave those combos for you to find?

Mercman, they were my father-in-laws. He went into a nursing home about 4 years ago with Dimentia. He wasn't a huge angler but did a little fishing. We found a little tackle box too with some stuff but nothing overly impressive in there. May post a few of the lures to see what the heck they are used for! Haha! That's awesome about the equipment you inherited!

FishLogic-That's great to know! I'll let you know about the auto reposition (whatever that is?! Haha!).

I used to use those exact same combos. Once bought one for a girlfriend as part of a birthday gift (that did not go over well by the way, I was young and not very wise in the way of wimmin). They were an entry level package which I used for many years. Never had a problem with them, they're a good find because you can never have too many rods and reels! Definitely change the line though, I bet that line is just ready to jump off that spool.

Miracon,

Those are decent reels, and should last a long time. The rods should be OK too, they may have lost a little back bone with old age. The top rod looks like a great pan fish set up.

Make sure you clean the reels out really good before you spin them to much. If you're in the neighbourhood, stop by, I can show you some basic reel maintenance tips.

The combos you guys bought earlier this year are mush better. I'd be using them for my primary rod. These two old ones are good back up rigs.. or for the kids..

Edited by N.A.W

Rizzo - LMAO about the girlfriend gift! And will definitely change the line! Don't want to lose the monster I am catching next!

monster - Great to know it's lasted that long!

Nick - Awesome! I was really hoping to hear the ones we bought were better after investing the money in them. It would have been a shame to find out these are way better and we could have made do with them before buying more. I'm glad we have a little variety now though...and yes, it's perfect for the kids considering both boys love to fish too. In fact, I keep having to put off a dock fishing date with my 16 yr old son because of moving my mother-in-law. :(

Thanks for the offer to give some maintenance tips! I would definitely love to take you up on that and will keep in touch! :D

I had one of those reels way back when (and it still works).

Re: auto-reposition, some people love it, I found it a little annoying because the bail will rotate around until the trigger is at the top 12 o'clock position...so if you try to set the hook when the trigger is almost at the top position, it will rotate backwards a full turn until it hits the stop.

Personally, I put a lot of importance on instant anti-reverse. But for freebies found covered in dust, you can't go wrong. Use them for floating live bait, or trolling harnesses for walleye...something where anti-reverse isn't critical.

:)

My Spirex has this feature, and the only way it'll make a full backwards rotation when setting the hook is if I let go of the arm. So, hold on, and you'll be fine.

I'd like it if they made a reel with constant anti-reverse as well as quick fire. I understand the logic of having the one set stop, but it'd be easy enough to just stop reeling in when the trigger lines up. But I had to choose, so I went with faster and easier casting.

Thanks Mike! Will definitely oil them!

And thanks so much Sinclair and Dana! At the moment, I seriously can't tell the difference from one combo to another so your information has been extremely helpful! I've definitely come to the right place to learn! And hopefully one day I won't be so green that I can be a little helpful to future newbies! :D

Go get um you got 4 rods to use now. You will find you are spoiled after awhile and will fish with 3 and 4 rods rigged at a time. I have usually 4 rods rigged one with top water, one with spinner bait, one with senco and the last one has a crank bait. You can then as you move from spot to spot figure out what the fish want in that area as the areas change without retying lures.

Art

Go get um you got 4 rods to use now. You will find you are spoiled after awhile and will fish with 3 and 4 rods rigged at a time. I have usually 4 rods rigged one with top water, one with spinner bait, one with senco and the last one has a crank bait. You can then as you move from spot to spot figure out what the fish want in that area as the areas change without retying lures.

Art

Thanks so much Art! I am writing down how you mentioned how to rig them and will follow your advice! :D

Thanks Mike and Roy! The line IS worn as one broke when I hooked the hook in my sweater (long weekend and a car full of crap! haha!)! But apart from that, as you said, they look mostly unused. Just wish we'd have found them a month ago before buying the 2 Quantums! I'm sure they would have done us just fine! :(

You can never have too many rods and reels. The 2 Shimano reels do not have instant anti-reverse?? I have a few like that and they are on my spare rods that I lend to people.

Free is always nice

Edited by wallyboss