Winterizing outboard

Rizzo

"and the real answer is".....i guess that means all other answers are just garbage? until you have spoken?

"I think this is more like it:

So the stoichiometry gives (118lb of C8H18 reacts with 400lb of Oxygen to give 353 lb of CO2 and 162 lbs of water). So per pound of gasoline burnt you get 1.42 lbs of water. Density of gasoline is around 6 lbs / gal and that of water is 8.3 lbs/gal. Plugging in those numbers you get 1.03 gallons of water are produced per gallons of gasoline burnt. Now to be able to compare apple to apple, I convert the water produced per mile of travel. Assuming 25 miles to a gallon average of a US Car that works out to be : 0.04 gal of water produced per mile "

seems like a huge pile of effort whose only value is to discredit another memeber. no contribution whatsoever to the original topic. ya know you can make posts on here that don't require going after everyone else's comments.

seems like a huge pile of effort whose only value is to discredit another memeber. no contribution whatsoever to the original topic. ya know you can make posts on here that don't require going after everyone else's comments.

There's a huge difference in trying to discredit compared to reality. It's like saying if I eat a pound of popcorn out comes 15 pounds of brown stuff with a few extras thrown in as part of the reaction. Get serious.

a dozen or so answers and a dozen or so different ideas.

haha that's the reason I posted the question in the first place...I've heard so many different ideas. Anyways, I looked after the 9.9 2 stroke yesterday. At Cdn. Tire I see they had ethanol treatment stabil as well so I put some of that through it plus the usual stabilizer. Fogged it, bought some new seals and changed the lower unit oil. Should be good to go! The 50hp will be in use till musky season closes, and since I use the high octane shell in that one I have one less thing (ethanol) to think about. I like the idea of jacking up the trailer. I've never done it before, but I'm going to give that a shot this year! Thanks for all the input

So you see normy, the stoichiometry gives (118lb of C8H18 reacts with 400lb of Oxygen to give 353 lb of CO2 and 162 lbs of water). So per pound of gasoline burnt you get 1.42 lbs of water. Density of gasoline is around 6 lbs / gal and that of water is 8.3 lbs/gal.

cliffclaven.jpg

Plugging in those numbers you get 1.03 gallons of water are produced per gallons of gasoline burnt. Now to be able to compare apple to apple, I convert the water produced per mile of travel. Assuming 25 miles to a gallon average of a US Car that works out to be : 0.04 gal of water produced per mile " i also have here in my pocket, a potato that looks exactly like nixon.

gee thanks cliffy, your knowledge of hydrocarbons, or at least your ability to quote their properties from the internet, is truly astounding. congrats, another member humbled. maybe you should be less serious....

my manual say to run it dry or leave the gas in with stabil. I use stabil because it is easier. I then take out the plugs and spray some oil in and turn it over a few times.

My motor is running like new year after year so it is working good for me. :thumbsup_anim:

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to running engines dry, I believe it's only good practice on carburated 4 strokes..

Reason being - a 2 stroke is lubed by the oil in the fuel, so a dry carb is also dry crank bearings.

An EFI 4 stroke has fuel injectors, and a fuel pump in which the moving parts are cooled and lubricated by the fuel, so a dry fuel system is also an unlubed one.

My choice is to run stabilizer and drain the bowl on the carb for storage. Also some oil in the cylinders just to prevent rust.

fill the last tank all the way up with Shell V Power 93, it has no ethanol in it, and then add stabilizer...

for two stroke, run it for 5 minutes to make sure the stabilized fuel has ran thru the fuel lines, and then detach the fuel line and let the motor stall when it runs out of fuel

spray fogging oil into carbs and cylinders

Yamaha manual says to drain carbs. There is nothing about running the cylinder dry. :rolleyes: I actually add cylinder lube in each one and crank the engine over with the safety off of course for a couple of seconds. Then I drain the carbs and have never had any issues.

Hope this helps.

Cliff has the right idea. :clapping:

I have never drained a carb in my life in any type of engine and I like you have never had a problem.

Outside of regular maintenance a little oil in the cylinders with an oil change for a 4 stroke,change your gear oil, treat the fuel with stabil and your done.

No need to over think it.