Advice on Alumacrafts

ah_long

there's only one concern though, the boat is rated for a max of 90hp and it's a 115hp on it..

I'm not too concerned about the boat being able to handle that motor as much as whether I'll have a problem with the insurance if an issue arises (touch wood)

I spoke to the seller and he said as long as the new motor doesn't push the boat over 60mph it would be fine.. I want to know if there's any truth to this.

there's only one concern though, the boat is rated for a max of 90hp and it's a 115hp on it..

I'm not too concerned about the boat being able to handle that motor as much as whether I'll have a problem with the insurance if an issue arises (touch wood)

I spoke to the seller and he said as long as the new motor doesn't push the boat over 60mph it would be fine.. I want to know if there's any truth to this.

well

that can be a problem.....

you could check the us plate and see if it's good in the US for 115 hp..and get alumacraft to send you a US plate....then when you insure it you state the fact it has a us Plate and you should be OK........if the US allows the bigger motor which is usually the case

There was a post regaurding over horse power.Do a search here. Not sure who started it,but did read it.

Edited by Misfish

The first thing I thought was too much hp on a 16.5' boat.

I hate to say it but I would think insurance would be null and void if something happens....and I am not referring to the boat but rather to someone hurt, be it in the boat or elsewhere. You could be facing a HUGE lawsuit...be extra careful.

BTW is it possible that this motor could have a governor installed on it ? ? ?... :dunno:

Bob

it is only 25hp over rating...peanuts

if I remember it is the same weight as the 90 Optimax.....you could prop it it minimize the speed..but I don't think it will make that much difference

but because of insurance concerns, contact your insurance company and others and see if you can find someone to insure it..that would solve the problem

if not I will trade you for my 90hp

as far as weight is concerned, I know it's the same as the 90 so it's ok there..

just concerned about insurance and all those legal crap.. I'm on hold with my insurance CO right now and see if I can get a green light from them

If anything, I'm thinking about buying a 90hp cover and put it on.. whistling.gif

I have the same boat but a '01 I don't have one bad thing to say about it. Great riding and handling (no feedback steering) . Mine has a nice big livewell, baitwell, lots of good laid out storage. What you might do about your motor issue is what a buddy had to do with Lund. He wanted to put larger motor on his tyee was he got them too send him a letter that their enginer / service rep. Ok'd the larger motor

I'm about to purchase a new boat and I found an 2003 Alumacraft Magnum 165 CS w/ a 2005 Mercury Optimax 115hp

anything I should know about this model as well as the motor?

What's a fair price for it and are there any other alternatives?

Thanks

I have a Magnum 165 in tiller model. I bought it new about 12 years ago. Great boat....likely my last. Great ride, even in chop, lots of room, and stable as hell. Mine is powered by a 60 hp Yam 4 stroke. That's the largest the tiller model is rated for. Top end speed is about 35mph, which is fine for the water I fish (mostly French River and small inland lakes).

As others have said, I would be concerned about the motor size for that model. I like the idea from others about buying it and replacing the motor via trade or resale. The boat itself is great. Also, smaller motor will save you a little gas money.

Contact Alumacraft. Get a letter from one of the engineers and you will be fine. DO THAT before buying the boat. Having to mess around to trade for a smaller engine involves potential problems (blown engine or pooched lower) and also the cost to switch. Too many unkowns. That hull with a 90hp would be awesome, plenty of power to get up and go with a full load. A 115hp, even better if the boat can take it. Good luck!!!

I called MD marine insurance (the current insurance policy on the boat) and it's a green light thumbsup_anim.gif

the only thing that won't be covered is if the motor falls off due to the increased weight but I don't see that as an issue

so hoping all goes well @ the test drive