Night Bassin'

rockfish

Had some luck fishing after dark for bass. I usually avoid fishing in the night time in the summer cuz of the bugs and skeeters but with a bit of a wind the bugs are minimal. :D First time I tried it just this summer, I was just throwing a senko texas rigged around and it was a surprise when I got one. Tried other plastics and got them on texas rigged Slug-gos, wacky rigged senkos, Yum Sooie baits that I pushed a rattle inside, Matzuo craws and had some luck with a Hula Popper. Also caught a couple decent rockbass after dark. :)

hhsoobass1.jpg

hhsoobasslast.jpg

hhwackybass.jpg

hhglowcrawbass.jpg

hhsoobass3.jpg

hhfirstsenkolargie.jpg

hhhulalargie.jpg

hhsoobass2.jpg

Edited by rockfish

very surprised with your bait selection.

How can the bass even see those lures at night, unless they all had rattles?

They don`t need to see the lure, the lateral line senses vibrations. I was an avid night fisherman, they can find a 4 inch plastic worm, a 1/8 ounce jig and pig in the dark with no problems, and I found them to be more effective than noisy surface lures most of the time.

Even walleye and panfish don`t seem to have a problem, only one pike in the dark, on a crank bait, but some big fished hooked and lost in waters with skis at night.

Yep, the lateral line is what they use to sense movement, like how baitfish swim in tight schools. I was surprised at how good their senses worked in the dark when I got them on plastics with no rattle. I just added a push in rattle in plastics that had room for it when things got slow. It didn't seem to make a difference though when they weren't biting during the cold fronts. They also seemed too lazy to hit topwater lures maybe cuz they are fat on gobies in Lake O. :rolleyes: