Yamaha 4 stroke starting issue?

Pigeontroller

I have a 2005 Yamaha 90hp 4 stroke. Just before the warranty ran out in 2008 it developed a starting problem, on cold fall mornings after being outside the starter wouldn't engage...If I keyed it multiple times it would eveantually engage. I took it in and the problem was diagnosed as a bad relay. New relay and problem solved. FF to this fall, same thing happening 2 weeks ago, after being outside overnight in the cold we had the starter wouldn't engage, no problem after the engine warmed up or later in the day when the air temp was higher. I get it home and in the warmth of my garage it fires no problem, so I figure same thing. Its been at Bay City Marine for 2 days and they can't find anything wrong??? It starts no problem...

Anyone have this happen?

I have a 2005 Yamaha 90hp 4 stroke. Just before the warranty ran out in 2008 it developed a starting problem, on cold fall mornings after being outside the starter wouldn't engage...If I keyed it multiple times it would eveantually engage. I took it in and the problem was diagnosed as a bad relay. New relay and problem solved. FF to this fall, same thing happening 2 weeks ago, after being outside overnight in the cold we had the starter wouldn't engage, no problem after the engine warmed up or later in the day when the air temp was higher. I get it home and in the warmth of my garage it fires no problem, so I figure same thing. Its been at Bay City Marine for 2 days and they can't find anything wrong??? It starts no problem...

Anyone have this happen?

Good product name ,bad product name , they just don't make good parts any more that stand up , i have a 100 hp tractor on snow in the winter and no matter what when its left out side we have to heat the starter up with a blow dryer before it will work , left it side and its ok , now whats got me thinking are thease starters for both you and i freezing up because they are collecting moisture , might be on to some thing here and worth looking into .....

I've had this happen a few times, at least on my old 2 stroke it had to do with the lube getting thick on that spiral gear that engages the flywheel, it is forced into the flywheel against a thin spring by inertia of the starter spinning. Cold weather the lube gets thick and it just spins without engaging the flywheel, shot of WD 40 will get you going until you can replace the lube with something thinner in cold weather.

my suggestion?

go to CO2 sports in Oakville.

I can walk my boat to Bay City.

However, when my original Yamaha 4 stroke started giving me issues, Bay City wasn't able to diagnose...just charge...3 times actually.

Brought it to CO2 sports, problem fixed, first time.

Then when it came time to buy a new Yamaha 4 stroke, I got a quote from Bay City and CO2 sports...CO2 sports was much cheaper. Then when it came to "trade in" CO2 sports offered me more money.

Just my suggestion.

Have you got a booster pack Dax or a set of booster cables. Pop the hood and connect to the starter lug directly with either and immediately rule out the battery or cables. If it still does it.. see if the starter is spinning but the bendix isn't coming up and engaging. From there you can take the appropriate course of action and if that fails I'll lend you my 5 lb peening hammer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I did not ask for opinions of Bay City Marine. They always treat me right. In fact, after my boat was there for 3 days and started fine the whole time...The bill was as I expected...0. They did however donate over $200 worth of Merchandise to the Hamilton/KW Muskies Canada Outing, as they do every year!

Edited by Pigeontroller

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I did not ask for opinions of Bay City Marine. They always treat me right. In fact, after my boat was there for 3 days and started fine the whole time...The bill was as I expected...0. They did however donate over $200 worth of Merchandise to the Hamilton/KW Muskies Canada Outing, as they do every year!

I second that Dax. They are a great bunch of guys at Bay city.Always treated me extremely well.My Opti was there for three days water tested twice when they figured it out as a colapsed fuel line do to ethenol.Charge was 0.It was a hard problem to find when the engine would loose power at wide open throttle only.

Dan

Hey Dax. I'm in agreement with old dried out grease or too heavy a grease on the starter. Had the same problem on a 30 Evinrude when we got into the fall fishing. Sprayed the hell out of it with WD40. At first it spun like crazy and didn't engage but once it dried out a bit it worked perfectly from that point on. Cheap and easy to try the next time it happens. Good luck.

Larry

Moisture in the starter and a weak battery.

The cold is making the lube to thick.If this is true,how do million of engines start every day in the winter.

Ha Ha they do till one of thease problems happens to them for what ever reason , then you find yourself on here reading threads that can help ya , kinda like it takes some of the guessing out of it .....lol

If it still does it.. see if the starter is spinning but the bendix isn't coming up and engaging. From there you can take the appropriate course of action and if that fails I'll lend you my 5 lb peening hammer.

If the starter is spinning but not engaging then I had a similar problem with the electric start on my snowblower. For the most part they rely on centrifical force to engage. As the starter motor begins to spin, the pinion gear on the starter drive is thrown out and engages the ring gear on the flywheel. Overtime dirt and grease had accumulated on the shaft and the drive wouldn't engage.

Removed the starter. Cleaned the starter drive in varsol. Added a couple of drops of oil. Re-installed it and it's just like new..