Pautzke's "Balls O' Fire" Salmon Eggs

mike rousseau

well... i have lots of artificials to try for steelhead this winter...

but sometimes you cant beat the real thing....roe

problem is... i dont have the real thing...

so i was wondering if the store bought single eggs are any good for tying roe bags?

from what i can tell... they are just professionally cured salmon eggs... so i figure they will work...

i know they are expensive... but so is a 3 hour trip to try and get a female chinook just for the eggs.... and give away the meat...

i figure its about 50 bucks for 12 1.5oz jars...so 18oz by volume not weight...

and i also figure each trip i would use 1-2 jars... so id get 6-12 trips for 50 bucks in bait...4-8 bucks a trip in bait...

anyways...what do you steelhead guys think about Pautzke's "Balls O' Fire" Salmon Eggs in roe bags?

i am also open to other suggestions...

thnx

mike

Never heard of them.......but im south of the border.

Initial reaction to any eggs sold in a jar sittin on the shelf........not the best choice.

Im not sure where your located but, i see a lot of lot lizards around the local marinas this time of year getting their skeins from the charter guys comin off the lake. Hang around the cleaning stations and you may be able to score the fresh goods.

where are you going steelhead fishing? Most bait stores will carry tied roe. Usually a doz for 4 bucks. I would say buy a jar of the balls o fire stuff and when you get close to your steelhead spot stop and see if they are selling spawn at the bait shop.

Like I said...

I'm 3 hours from trout waters...

So I'm not gunna drive 3 hours on hopes of salmon egg handouts...

didnt catch that.

So that being said.........Id buy whatever you can get your hands on locally, so at least you have something. And while your in trout land,.......get it at the local Marinas or Shops before or after you fish.

You can order some loose coho and chinook eggs off here:

http://centerpinangling.com/spawn-products.html

You can also call up a couple trout farms like Primrose Trout Farm, or the one in Shannonville and see if they'll sell some to you.

would you suggest coho or chinook eggs if i order from these guys?

would you suggest coho or chinook eggs if i order from these guys?

I've only tried the coho eggs that my friend ordered from Centerpin Angling. In a nutshell they worked. 99% of the time when I do use roe, it's from a chinook.

The only difference between chinook and coho roe is the actual size of the egg. Chinook eggs are a bit bigger depending on the size of the fish.

In my opinion this is not true. Coho roe has a different colour and has a totally different smell. It will outfish chinook roe any day of the week. The problem is that its a bit harder to get than chinook roe.

Mike, if your ever near T.O. send a pm and I can hook you up with enough roe to get you through a season.

Pre tied is really expensive...

I'm a stay at home dad... I have time to tie...

Those eggs your talking about come from the west. They have a different modality of pinning there. Those fish are all ocean run so those eggs are designed for them. Looked into it myself but decided that fresh roe from here is better. Basically any row will work this time of year, but match the hatch so to speak. Mostly chinook spawning right now so use chinook roe etc. Centerpin angling carries great stuff i use their roe as well.

Pre tied is really expensive...

I'm a stay at home dad... I have time to tie...

They sell loose roe as well. That link MJL provided looks like better stuff but I'd look into getting some off someone with a little extra to give like msp's offer... The stuff sitting cured in jars doesn't produce like fresh roe, it will work fine if the river is high and the bite is hot however.

If you can get over to Port Hope, just hang around the fish cleaning station for a bit . . . . . I got enough roe that people didn't want, to do me for the next 2 years, in one fell swoop. there were 3 guys who had 3 roe laden females, they only needed the roe from 1, they gave me ALL the roe outta a 30+ pounder . . . . about 5 pounds at least! Better hurry, the run is nearly over. The best time is between midnight & 04:00, people are leaving & cleaning up their fish. Good luck.

A lot of other anglers, including myself, have had tremendous luck with egg fly patterns and trout beads. I used a chartreuse coloured egg fly for salmon and was getting hook ups just as much as my buds using roe. It was the right place at the right time.

Trout beads are also very effective in their own place as well. I definitely out fished a friend who was using trout roe sacs. Both are definitely on the economical side of things and should be easily available.