question for the motor guys

bobkayla

The forward gear on mercury's work on a ratchet principle when you throttle down the boat is going faster than the prop and it will free wheel. With the boat out of the water put it in forward gear and by hand spin the prop backwards and you will hear your clicking,it is suppose to do that.When towing I always put the motor in reverse(no ratcheting) so the prop in the wind doesn't free wheel.I found this out from the dealer when I complained about the same thing.

vance

Edited by vance

Your prop seals are designed to be in the water and COOLED by that water,if you are going down the 401 or any high way and your prop is spinning there is no cooling and friction will wear the seals out prematurely.I watched a tech spend 1/2 an hour buffing melted rubber off a prop shaft so he could install a new one. :wallbash: AND it wasn't mine :thumbsup_anim:

vance

Your prop seals are designed to be in the water and COOLED by that water,if you are going down the 401 or any high way and your prop is spinning there is no cooling and friction will wear the seals out prematurely.I watched a tech spend 1/2 an hour buffing melted rubber off a prop shaft so he could install a new one. :wallbash: AND it wasn't mine :thumbsup_anim:

vance

This sounds like very good advice. I usually fasten the prop with a rubber bungy while towing to keep from spinning. With the outboard in gear, your throttle linkage is engaged, freeing fuel flow to carbs or injectors, and perhaps placing undue wear on linkages, springs, accelerator pumps, etc.

This sounds like very good advice. I usually fasten the prop with a rubber bungy while towing to keep from spinning. With the outboard in gear, your throttle linkage is engaged, freeing fuel flow to carbs or injectors, and perhaps placing undue wear on linkages, springs, accelerator pumps, etc.

thanks for all the info to all,,,the dealer told me not to engage the motor when not running for this reason,,,,having the motor not under a load

when in gear will cause the internals,linkage,valves etc. to move against each other