For the waterfowl hunters

NAW

My hunting partner and I hit our blind early Saturday morning for the opening day in our area. Woke up at 4, in the boat by 4:30, at the blind by 5, flipped the canoe at 5:30. Blasting birds at 6:30, limited out by 8.

The first flock that came in was 5 strong. My hunting partner dropped 3, and I hit the other 2. Great start to the morning. Half way to the limit, and we've only fired 5 shots!

We ended the day with 8 woodies, 1 mallard, 2 teel, and 1 accidental mud hen (not picture worthy)

8.jpg

Hope nobody gets offended seeing some pictures of daffy all shot up..

5.jpg

2-3.jpg

The birds were FULL of pin feathers, so we ended up skinning most of them.

3-1.jpg

9.jpg

Duck is excellent on the grill. Skin or no, they taste great both ways. With no skin, I just keep basting them in BBQ sauce.

My geese I cook two ways. Slow cooker, with lots of sauce and a few slices of orange. Once their done, you pull them apart just like pulled pork, and make a sloppy Joe, or wraps.

The other good way is to make jerky out of them, as long as you cut 90° to the grain.

Oh man, my mouth is starting to water.. Can't wait till Saturday to do it all over again :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by N.A.W

I didn't get out for the central opener yet, but we put a hurting on the geese a couple times to get things started :)

groupshot.jpg

EarlyGeese001.jpg

Got a mutant goose too........pretty cool!

EarlyGeese004.jpg

congrats on a successful opener Nick! Keep the reports coming!

S.

Edited by Sinker

I was wondering how you've been doing this season Sinker. Nice pile a grease there.

I have two breasts from last year in the slow cooker as we speak!

Never seen a goose look like that before. Looks like a giant hen mallard / goose cross.

If you ever need an extra gun when your in the field, let me know.

Edited by N.A.W

STOP you 2.......you're killing me here...... :wallbash:

Found out yesterday I and my partners were not picked AGAIN to hunt opening day on the federal reserve....FRUSTRATING.

You should be booking a canada hunt up here next year for our early goose season to get things rolling. I know this guy who could get you out :whistling:;)

S.

How much is a hunting license and what kind of hassles is it to bring a shotgun over the boarder ???

I don't know anything about bringing a gun over the boarder.

I can tell you what I paid for my licenses. You need a small game hunting license for the year. I think that's about $30 (i do the three year thing, so I'm not sure what the yearly cost is). Then you need a Migratory Game Bird Hunting Seal. that's about $20.

I'm sure the non-resident pricing will be a little different.

Here's a few links. Might have to copy and paste.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?lang=en&n=99FDEC59-1

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/Publication/MNR_E001275P.html

The license is reasonable, but I'm not sure about the price for non res.

Getting the gun over the border isn't too bad either, from what I hear, but I've never done it. I guess you have to fill out some paperwork, but its supposed to be pretty straight forward.

A couple buddies of mine drove down to Texas for a turkey hunt this spring, and the border guards didn't even ask to see paperwork for any guns, even though they told them they had them in the truck!

S.

Got out today.....my old fishing buddy Don called and invited me to hunt Canada geese at the last minute.....not great but pretty good....only 2 small flocks came over and we bagged 9 birds in all....1 had a leg tag.

GooseHunting9-21-11002.jpg

I actually got 3 birds and that's pretty good for me... :thumbsup_anim:

Got out today.....my old fishing buddy Don called and invited me to hunt Canada geese at the last minute.....not great but pretty good....only 2 small flocks came over and we bagged 9 birds in all....1 had a leg tag.

I actually got 3 birds and that's pretty good for me... :thumbsup_anim:

Nice. 9 birds out of 2 flocks. That's good shooting!