Underwater Salmon Video - Strike Vision

Aaron Shirley

I just did up this new Strike Vision video: Strike Vision Salmon Vid

I always find this type of thing amazing to watch. The behavior of a salmon while stalking a lure is fascinating! Unreal how many follow and don't hit, and some keep coming back multiple times. In this vid, one fish hit, then started to head shake and shook the bait! I wonder how much this happens if we were to combine all our rods in a day. I know that I've seen my dipsy get slammed or hit many times without a hook up, sometimes not even tripping it. If you were not looking at the rod at that exact moment, you would never even know you got a hit! You will see in this video how a flasher without a fin changes direction after a fish shakes the bait, and another time after the ball hits the bottom. Of course, there are several fish hitting baits in slow motion as well :)

Enjoy,

Aaron

FamilyFisherman, I cannot disagree with you! Not my brightest moment, and I got the heck off the water a lot more quickly after that. We thought we had more time to pack up and head in... we were about 3 minutes too late and got lucky.

Spincast, the video was taken anywhere from 60 feet to 100-feet deep. Pretty clear for the most part. I've learned that even in clear water, the thermocline has a bit of a stain to it. I have learned quite a bit with the Strike Vision over the years :)

I love it! Pretty sure the lakers follow suit....I can follow my flasher on the lowrance, and have seen many many arches come up and follow it for a while then disappear....exciting and painful to watch all that action while your rod doesn't even budge!

Would love to have the camera setup....very slick!

Terry, the flasher was about 10-feet behind the ball. I've run it as close to 5 feet behind the ball with good success, especially deeper or in stained water. I find more than 20-feet back isn't good for recording, as everything is too small on screen. I find 10-feet lead is best for clear water, and 5-feet is best for stained water.

Anders, you can see the Walker Strike Vision downrigger here with specs: Strike Vision

The Strike Vision camera system is built into the Walker downrigger model, so it is only available for Walker downriggers. The Strike Vision camera downrigger does not come with a monitor. You can use a TFT monitor or a camcorder that supports video input. If you have a large boat, you can also use a small TV. Most camcorders do not support video in, only video out. I have been using a Sony HDR HC30 MiniDV camcorder for the Strike Vision up until a month ago when it crapped out, so now I am using my Canon HDV HV40 in standard def mode. Sony HDR HC30, HC40, HC42 have video in/out Canon HDV HV20, HV30, HV40 also have video in/out. There are more MiniDV and HDV models as well as super 8 that have video in/out as well, I just know the ones I listed have video inputs because I've owned them or similar models.

I just ordered a nice HD TFT Lilliput monitor from ebay, and it comes with a large pro Sony battery to power it. I got it for a different purpose, but I am going to try it with the Strike Vision and see how it works, as it will be a nice size viewing monitor. I am not sure if the Strike Vision can connect to the Lowrance HDS network or not. Worth looking into, because that would be awesome to have the Strike Vision video right on the HDS screen.

The benefit of using a camcorder is that you can record the video, the downfall is the tiny size screen. The benefit of a TFT backlit monitor is the awesome viewing size, the downfall is you would need a monitor with video in and out if you want to record the Strike Vision video or possibly run a splitter to both monitor and camcorder. Some cheap monitors may not mount very well, or work well in sunlight. It would be important to get a TFT backlit monitor for best results outdoors.

I have learned a lot about operating the Strike Vision camera system over the years, and I have worked out the bugs to acquire the best footage and cleanest image on screen. If anyone here has a Strike Vision or is getting one, I would be happy to help anyone here with tips for the best outcome.

Hope this answers your question without too much confusion!

Aaron

Aaron,

that answered it perfectly..thanks for taking the time to write that out for me.

I currently run 2 walker tournament series riggers and the strike vision has intrigued me for some time now. I think i may start looking harder into purchasing it. With the clarity in Lake Superior i think i would be able to get some awesome footage.

thanks