Mooching reel set ups

vinnimon

I watched the BC guys doing this for Salmon. I really dont hear of anyone on the great lakes doing this, trolling for salmon. I hear its fun to do, possibly fatiguingdunno.gif If its the same as a float reel including a drag systen, shoot why not try it.

Only reason I am asking is because, Ive seen a few mooching reels at the local shop, at a reasonable price. I know they are a 1 to 1 ratio reel. But it would be fun to try anyway.

Any expierenced input would be valuedgood.gif

Good or badgood.gif

Thanks in advance

a buddy of mine picked one up a couple weeks ago, he paired it up with an 8' rigger rod with pretty good action. so far its only been christened with one small laker though. snapped a pic to show his boss who thought he was dumb for buying it lol

august29th20115.jpg

I will need new rods to go with it, thats a definite. Im just not sure as to which ones as of yet. I dont want to spend a ton of $ on a twin set up as of yet. The rods do need to be over ten feet long, it is a 1 to 1 ratio reel. The longer the rod the better.

Any input as meantioned would be apreciated, no matter. Just another tactic to have on board just for the experience, thats all.

a buddy of mine picked one up a couple weeks ago, he paired it up with an 8' rigger rod with pretty good action. so far its only been christened with one small laker though. snapped a pic to show his boss who thought he was dumb for buying it lol

august29th20115.jpg

good.gif Thanks Miller, but the reels im looking at are much bigger, for the sole purpose of catching a big runner sort of speak with fury in himwhistling.gif

I have been using an entry level Mooching reel for a few years now on Lake O. I have it set up on a 9ft rod (I think a Med Action). Ideally you want a longer rod to increase your leverage when fighting a fish, since you don't have a drag you can use. That being said, a lighter action rod is still fun.

Fighting even a 10lb king is a blast on Mooching, the larger kings make for epic battles and sore arms.

Been playing with a large arbor fly reel for a number of years out there. They pretty much do the same thing as long as you get one with a good dial drag. My first outfit was a Fenwick 9 wt glass flyrod matched up with a Shakespeare Beaulite reel (250 yards of 17 lb). It's fun for sure but you will loose a few more fish. Single action reels just won't keep up when a big king or bow runs towards the boat. I tend to run this set up a couple times a year out in the blue zone. I've got a Pflueger Trion 1978 now and it took a few bows this season on a 9.5ft 7 weight fly rod.

I'm planning to take out my baitrunner reels that I use for Carp and see how they work.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

is there a tactical advantage of mooching reels? Using a centerpin float reel i feel like i have an advantage over spinning tackle. while fighting a fish is more challenging, i definitely hook up with way more fish on the 'pin. i've attributed this to both how natural it makes my presentation, and the epic long runs i can make on large rivers.

but if anything a mooching reel almost seems like nothing but an overpriced handicap. Can anyone enlighten me as to what, if any advantage using a mooching reel would provide?

No advantage what so ever. Like I said definitely expect to loose more fish!!

Just a different way to play a fish. 99% of the time I run my line counters when downrigging but usually have the light fly rod tucked in the rod locker for a change of pace. It is a hoot when the bows are up high.

Good to know it's a decent reel Brian. I've never used it.

And the rod has only seen the water twice more than 10 years ago.

May as well go to a good fishing buddy eh??

Cheers,

Simon

Maybe, just maybe that's what Vince was after all along :unsure: He wasn't asking for a trolling reel at all but to mooch a free reel from someone, anyone?!?!? :whistling:

Now, who's got a line counter reel they no longer use/need... :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe that's what Vince was after all along :unsure: He wasn't asking for a trolling reel at all but to mooch a free reel from someone, anyone?!?!? :whistling:

Now, who's got a line counter reel they no longer use/need... :rolleyes:

I have oil sands in Barrie, if your interested? Maybe you and Joe could split the cost. HEEHEE.

A friend of mine loaned me the exact reel (see above post) on a Shimano TDR that I used when I was first learning to use Downriggers on Lake O.

It was a hoot to get a big one on, but knuckle buster is right, and when you "palm" the reel for the drag it can take a layer of skin of your palm. (Hard to explain the "Rosy Palm" to the wife after going fishing on the lake :o )

Long story short, they work! But with a 1:1 ratio and no real "drag" system, if you are trolling in tight quarters with other boats, it is hard to control a 20lb plus salmon.

I prefer a level wind with a higher gear ratio and a real drag system.

Bill