line size for Dipsy Divers

lew

I was thinking of trying a Dipsey Diver at Quinte this May for pickeral but have never used one before. Just looking for something different for trolling in the clear water during the daytime, and have no interest in jigging.

We always flatline after dark in close to shore, but that doesn't work too well anymore in the daylight hours.

I've got a Daiwa line counter reel spooled with 10 pound mono on an 8' medium action TDR rod.

Would 10 # mono be strong enuff to hold the Dipsey, or do I need heavier line ??

10 to 17 LB test mono is fine as long as the line has good abrasion resistance, high knot strength, & low strech. Berkley XT or Sensation are good lines. Berkley Sensation is a little better because it has a thinner diameter so you can go with a higher LB test.

Lew I'm running either powerpro or wire braid on all mine. I perfer the no stretch for better hooksets with the dipseys. It seems to work a bit better when running the longer lengths. As for poundage of the line its just personal perference, i'm using minimum 30 as the dipsey do have a fair amount of pull to them.

I'm not really sure Roy, like I say, I've never used a Dipsey before so I'm not familiar with the setup, but I was figuring maybe 5 - 6' between the Dipsey and the lure ?? :dunno:

I'll be trolling cranks.

Whatdya think ??

Yes lew 4-5 ft is a nice setup,now in your post you didnt state what size dipsey you were going to run,as there are several sizes i have the depth charts and use dipseys all the time,so let me now and i can tell you ...cheers

fishindevil, here's a chart I found on the Cabellas site and figure I'll probably go with the 3 ¼ to run it down to around 35' if need be.

Looks like I'll be goin to visit the boys at Tightlines on Monday :Gonefishing:

Luhr Jensen Dipsy® Divers take your lures down to the strike zone. Vertical and lateral adjustments allow trolling both behind and beside your boat. The unique design of the Dipsy Diver gives you the ability to adjust the weight in degrees to suit your trolling needs.

Sizes:

2-1/4" (Size 030 dives to 20 ft.). Not available in colors 228, 229, 264, 266.

3-1/4" (Size 000 dives to 35 ft./with O ring)

4-1/8" (Size 001 dives to 50 ft./with O ring)

4-7/8" (Size 003 dives to 100 ft./with O ring)

Colors: (001)Silver, (002)Metallic Gold, (009)Kelly Green, (096)Chartreuse, (182)Watermelon, (723)Metallic Green, (116)Clear, (166)Fire, (228)Everglo Crystal Hot Texas Red, (229)Everglo Chartreuse/Firetiger, (264)Everglo Batman, (266)Everglo Wonder Bread.

If you are looking into snubbers for dipseys tightlines in pickering has several to choose from some come in 8 or 12 inch and some are different colors and some are clear,they have even made snubbers for musky fisherman to ease some of the shock like strikes that big fish can exert on your tackle,we always will use a snubber on our dipseys if we are using wire..and braid as salmon can ruin your set-up real quick,but like i said earlier for lew for the small size 00 dipseys and the mini-disc from big-jon they are the ones we use for walleyes usuallyjust your braid will do,as walleyes are not known for hitting like a freight train we will run braid or mono to the dipsey,with a good quality snap then flouro from the dipsey back to the crankbait or harness or whatever you are running,depending on how deep you want to fish and definatley the water clarity will determine the length between the dipsey and the lure with the clarity on quinte 5ft would be ok,and sometimes if i am using a bait that wont dive deeper like a harness or a smithwick rouge i will go 7 feet,but you can also even run a dipsey off a in-line board as well and even get your bit even farther away from the boat,they are very versitile and can be used in lots of ways oh i see you found a chart lew i would have got it for you as well.... ok well good luck when you use your dipsey...they are great and we use them for everything from salmon,walleyes lake trout to musky to rainbows.....cheers

Edited by fishindevil

Hey lew the colors that i have used with the most success is kelly green,with a yellow o ring and wonderbread with a black o ring....for real sunny days i run silver ....those are pretty much the only ones i use....sometime soon bass pro usually has a sale before summer and you can get them for around 11bucks a piece most places sell them for about 15-18 bucks...cheers :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks fishindevil, lotsa good information there.

We've been fishing for pickerel in Quinte since the 50's and the Dipsey is just something different I want to try, specially now with the clearer waters out there now and I figured it would be a good way to get the baits away from the boat.

I don't especially like fishing with planer boards and figured this would be a good alternative.

Does colour of the diver make a big difference? Sorry Lew...don't want to hijack your thread...was just curious as I've never used Dipsies. I've been reading about them though.

No problem lew if you need anymore info,or if i can help let me know,they work very well and its a very interesting way to present a nice crankbait,to them big eyes...dont forget to let me know how you did with them...oh just wondering how much were they in cabelas,????? cheers

Thanks fishindevil, that pretty much is what I had in mind.. snubbers for the biggun's on braid/wire.

Would wire be overkill for a BOQ setup? I ask because I already have 5:1 linecounter and roller rod I was hoping to use for Erie, Ontario and BOQ.

Well the problem would be for a large size dipsey it would have to be a fair size fish to trip the dipsey,and walleyes arnt noted for violent strikes if you were to use 20lb 7 strand wire you could get away with it,but power pro is for sure the more suited line for walleyes ...i will use 20lb power pro for that situation

Roy I find the colours I choose when fishing Lake Erie are great as an attractant. I try to match them to the colours of the worm harnesses and baits I'm using and having success with. If colour ever becomes a worry you can actually get dipseys and jet divers in clear. Also the water colours can make the choice with the bright flashy colours in the stained waters helping to draw them in and more neutral colours in clear waters.

I'm sure Fishmaster will see this and offer some great info as he truly is a master with this method of fishing on the Great Lakes. He taught me everything I needed to know in one visit to his shop a few years back.

50lb Stealth Braid all the way ...i allways use a snubber with a lead the length of my poll with Seagaur Leaders 20lb good lock snap swivles ....and yes colors help on certain days Walleye Fishing i like blk/chart/pink/dipsys Salmon i like blk/chart dipsys ....and in the summer when the fish are deep go with wire dipsys for kings ..even been trying them for walleye and doing welll ...im a dipsy nut nothing like running 8 to 12 dipsys out the back of the boat and haven 5 fish on at the same time ...