1:20am and ready for bassin'!!!!!!

manitoubass2

After a few slow weeks, the bite picked up big time!!!! Yesterday I went out and fished the shores and shallows from shore, went 17 for 21, in 5 hours. Those fish had bellies too!!! That doesn't usually happen until mid september, so now I'm all excited, hehe.

7 of those fish weighed over 3lbs, which is great considering I nabbed them in the rapids, biggest one was 19.75" and at 4lbs.

Tomorrow, the goal is to take pics of at least 20 fish, from shore. Might go out in the boat too for an evening bite? I'll keep you posted.

The plan is grubs on heavy jigs burned through the shallows, but we'll see how it goes. I just have that need to hook fish's

Hope you all have a great night and a great day tomorrow! Great fishing OFC, and as always, I'm jealous of those who fish lakers, salmon, carp, musky!!!!! LOL

Quick update.

All in all 32 landed bass yesterday. I took a few small breaks throughout the day when the bite turned cold, then I'd return an hour or so later to the same spot, and the bite was on again! Very fun day, was great weather wise, about 24 no humidity and barely a breeze. Water temps were actually fairly cold, about 70 degrees, down from 74 the day before. Lots of fish, but most were in the 2-2.5lb range today, no real monsters. Also lost about 5 fish.

Heading out again here in about half an hour to the same spot. Weather looks calm and partly sunny, water temp a cool 68 degrees. I'll be interested to see how this affects them this am.

And on a side note, Jeff Gustafson took home the International Falls bass tourny yesterday, fishing right beside me at one point, and bagged a healthy 19.66lbs of smallmouth bass!!! Nice job Gussy!

Edited by manitoubass2

32 bass... Couldn't make it to 40? Haha that's crazy good fishing

Yep, the bite was on hard and heavy, all small fish though. Today was alot slower, but I had two good smallies, 3.5-4lbs, and a bonus 33" pike that fought like a ton of bricks in the rapids! Though it was gonna be a monster, lol.

This is the am view of the rock point I planned on fishing, right hand side in the rapids

Lateaugust2011117.jpg

View from the house

Lateaugust2011114.jpg

The view in the am! Great to look at while having some coffee!

Lateaugust2011118.jpg

Early morning pike, this guy smashed a crank in the rapids and put up a great fight!

Lateaugust2011123.jpg

Best smallie of the day, caught on a firetiger crankin rap

Lateaugust2011127.jpg

UGGGH, another bear sighting, lol

Lateaugust2011053.jpg

Cub too! Up in the tree

Lateaugust2011059.jpg

The boys got out with me and my ol man!

augustfun2011067.jpg

Chips on!

augustfun2011060.jpg

Fish on! Monster walleye, 6", and took home $5 for first fish of the day, lol

augustfun2011054.jpg

32" pike off the reefs in 30FOW

augustfun2011056.jpg

Early shiner run this year, I wasn't the only "early bird fishin!

augustfun2011018.jpg

This guy was hooked deep, kept for the fry pan.

Lateaugust2011125.jpg

Loons were hanging out too

augustfun2011058.jpg

Bonus!

DSCF2043.jpg

Good stuff! Looks like a good place to wade too.

I wish! It's all slippery rock and weird drop offs. I'm just too chicken to wade at that spot, lol. There is a great wading place right around the corner though that holds big walleye in the spring and fall!

Edited by manitoubass2

Got out today as well but only for an hour. Weather was interesting and the water went down again, so so shallow right now. Managed a 27" pike and a 16" smally, and four other small pike. It's funny, every year when the night cools off and the water is low, those pike surround this little rock area of the rapids and pin all the bass in there. Inside the rock formation, all bass. On the outside, all pike! lol

A lil' walleye on a DT crank

SunAug29nature079.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2