Engine mounted trolling motor

HTHM

I think it's for trolling specific anglers... Like me...

And hooked up to a tiller... This electric motor would be awesome...

Unless I'm missing something aren't transom mounted electric motors already tiller controlled? What would be the advantage of having it on the gas motor?

Edited by dave524

Not if your good with electrical wiring and fabrication...

But why not just use the electric you have the way it is?

I am going to guess that is a pain in the butt to steer, takes up room on the boat or that if he makes one he can make 2 that can be mounted at each side of the transom for superior steering control.

He if you have an old motor doing nothing why not try it out.....it won't be that easy if you don't know about electronics and even if you do it won't be easy to seal and mount it right.

Unless I'm missing something aren't transom mounted electric motors already tiller controlled? What would be the advantage of having it on the gas motor?

I am looking at it from the perspective of fuel savings, silence, and the fun of doing it. I like to troll, and find it is difficult to do with my bow-mount as the foot pedal will not stay in one position unattended. If one has an electric motor pushing the boat of adequate thrust, then one should be able to troll effectively at high and low speeds.

The electronics are simply a variable resistor, and the wiring is already sealed at the factory.

The shaft of the motors only house the wires and it's probably sealed at the head of the motor to. You can probably cut the head right off and fabricate a mount onto it. Sounds like a fun project to me if your not worried about scrapping your trolling motor.

Unless I'm missing something aren't transom mounted electric motors already tiller controlled? What would

be the advantage of having it on the gas motor?

Better steering...

Easy reatch to tiller handle...

Thrust from ceter of transom...

Don't have to tilt/lift an electric motor between spots...

I don't think you will have much control of the boat unless you have a lot of thrust... say a 100 lbs for a 17' boat for example. This will provide a very limited range of motion compared to a transom mounted electric. It difficult enough to steer in the wind with a transom mount that can be turned a full 360; this one would be even worse.

I don't think you will have much control of the boat unless you have a lot of thrust... say a 100 lbs for a 17' boat for example. This will provide a very limited range of motion compared to a transom mounted electric. It difficult enough to steer in the wind with a transom mount that can be turned a full 360; this one would be even worse.

But with this electric... The main motors skeg act as a rudder with the thrust of the electric...

With a regular transom mount when you turn the electric motor... The main motor stays strait and works against you...

These motors are great for what they are designed to do. I had an 80lb on a 621 Ranger with no problems and never ran out of power. These motors work great for a stealth approach to walleye fishing. It has a small dimmer type switch that controls the speed to minor increments.